ADVERTISEMENT

Baked pasta lesson.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I cooked a nice simple pasta dish for dinner tonight. Bowtie pasta with a nice meat sauce. Seasoned myself, of course. Anyway, it got me thinking about something a lot of you might not know. But you should.

You see, I didn't cook the pasta first.

You've probably seen that there are two kinds of lasagna. Regular and oven-ready. The regular you are supposed to cook first. The oven-ready, you don't have to.

Have you ever wondered why?

Here's why: because consumers are stupid.

The pasta is exactly the same. Well, almost. The oven-ready pasta, which is the same price, is slightly thinner, and therefore a ripoff. The ingredients are the same. The product is the same.

You can put any pasta in the oven dry, and as long as it has the proper amount of sauce, it will cook. Doesn't matter if the box says oven-ready or not.

Something to remember.

I cooked a nice simple pasta dish for dinner tonight. Bowtie pasta with a nice meat sauce. Seasoned myself, of course. Anyway, it got me thinking about something a lot of you might not know. But you should.

You've probably seen that there are two kinds of lasagna. Regular and oven-ready. The regular you are supposed to cook first. The oven-ready, you don't have to.

The pasta is exactly the same. Well, almost. The oven-ready pasta, which is the same price, is slightly thinner, and therefore a ripoff. The ingredients are the same. The product is the same.

You can put any pasta in the oven dry, and as long as it has the proper amount of sauce, it will cook. Doesn't matter if the box says oven-ready or not.

Something to remember.

People don't know this?

My wife just started the South Beach diet, and by extension so did I. At least with regards to home-prepared meals. As such, your tip is worthless to me. Thanks for nothing.

Something to remember.
When I was a cook in the Air Force we always cooked Lasagna with uncooked noodles. By the time you put the meat sauce and ricotta or cottage cheese on it and cover it with aluminum foil it cooked fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT