ADVERTISEMENT

Attitude adjustment needed

Can't really find Sparks time... in just the 2nd game, and he didn't play in the first because of injury? If you could just stop whining to whine... Sparks will find time if he keeps up his effort. I thought he looked good for his first game back. Rusty on O, but I'm hopeful he too will give us a dependable post scorer and screener. That second unit, which I had wanted to see, couldn't have scored wearing a suit made of $100 bills in a whore house. Galloway was not solid yesterday; really did nothing. I thought he and Johnson would be a good defensive backcourt, but they both also got beat several times yesterday. And, it didn't help that both those corner prayer 3s as the clock expired were with Galloway draped on the guy.

I do agree the constant switching is hurting us and I question even what we are supposed to be doing on the perimeter, because everyone seems to want to switch, except Cupps, who fights hard to get through screens. So, what is the coaching staff instructing them to do, because it seems we have different guys doing different things.
I’m baffled with the defensive strategy on ball screens. And the players seem confused. I think permission to switch is making them less assertive. And when they don’t switch, I’m seeing very little “strong hedge and recover” to your man. Why don’t we hedge? Especially with our length. Length allows for recovery. You can’t just tell your guards to fight through the screen without helping them recover.
Those breakdowns lead to excessive weak side help and open 3 pointers.

Reactions: steelyvan
What's a "contested conversation"?

Looks like teammates trying to figure it out to me.

I’m baffled with the defensive strategy on ball screens. And the players seem confused. I think permission to switch is making them less assertive. And when they don’t switch, I’m seeing very little “strong hedge and recover” to your man. Why don’t we hedge? Especially with our length. Length allows for recovery. You can’t just tell your guards to fight through the screen without helping them recover.
Those breakdowns lead to excessive weak side help and open 3 pointers.
It’s all scouting … what does the ball handler do well … what does the ‘roll’ man do well … that determine the best coverage for the defenders. There is an advantage to switching … not every big can roll … then catch and dunk in one step like TJD could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT