ADVERTISEMENT

At this juncture it's pretty clear Crean has survived.

BrewCityCy

Freshman
Jun 18, 2002
Don't expect any further comment from Glass or Crean. The official line is, "All is well, we'll be better next year, and it was just a down year because of injuries and the lack of player leadership."

Our coach next year is "down the hall" and that sucks.

2017-18 should be pretty ugly. Think Davis's final season, Version 2.0. Probably worse; The weave and heave, horrible defense, and stupid turnovers will be unwatchable.

And the brand that Glass is so worried about diminishing will suffer even more.

It makes me sick to think about.

When I walked out of the Georgia Dome after we lost in the final game in 2002 a Maryland fan congratulationed me on a great run and said this:

"It's our first championship, you guys win it every 5 years."

That was 15 years ago. We haven't been past the Sweet 16 since.

And so it is . . .

Last edited:
Don't expect any further comment from Glass or Crean. The official line is, "All is well, we'll be better next year, and it was just a down year because of injuries and the lack of player leadership."

2017-18 should be pretty ugly. Think Davis's final season, Version 2.0. Probably worse; The weave and heave, horrible defense, and stupid turnovers will be unwatchable.

When I walked out of the Georgia Dome after we lost in the final game in 2002 a Maryland fan congratulationed me on a great run and said this:

And so it is . . .
You apparently ran into a Maryland fan who was poor at math.

That 2002 Hoosier run was covered as a rebirth of Indiana tournament basketball. That was done in reference to how down the Hoosiers had been for a good while when compared to its history. It had been 8 years since IU felt relevant at that time. That was 15 years ago too.

Man it's been a while since Indiana has consistently acted like Indiana.

Reactions: kkott
You apparently ran into a Maryland fan who was poor at math.

That 2002 Hoosier run was covered as a rebirth of Indiana tournament basketball. That was done in reference to how down the Hoosiers had been for a good while when compared to its history. It had been 8 years since IU felt relevant at that time. That was 15 years ago too.

Man it's been a while since Indiana has consistently acted like Indiana.

Hopefully you got the point. Go back to your board, you inbred, cheating, racist idiot.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Hopefully you got the point. Go back to your board, you inbred, cheating, racist idiot.
I'm not an inbred, cheat or racist. I'm a college basketball fan and appreciate the history of the game. I consider Indiana one of the top 3 jobs in the sport and plan to keep up with the Hoosier off season. It will be the one of, if not the most, notable story to conclude the basketball year and I think you all have a chance to get it right and rebuild a brand.

I also miss the Kentucky/Indiana rivalry. It was the best in the sport at one time and can be again. Natural vitriol and pure passion. UNC/Duke couldn't touch the best of our rivalry when it was right. It was the best college basketball could offer.

I will be all eyes on the tournament this weekend so I'll go away.

(Top 3 job is an opinion. I know the consensus blueblood list UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana. I've always valued UK, Kansas and Indiana more because the game is part of the fabric of the states and a generational passage handed down differently than anywhere else.)

Keep the faith another couple days.

I'll keep the faith until there's no chance he's gone. But don't you think it's weird that no one in the media is predicting he will be gone? Again, I'm not saying sports writers are clued in.

But wouldn't some of them have similar sources as you (and others who have saying he's gone)?

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
But don't you think it's weird that no one in the media is predicting he will be gone?

No. How many times has "the media" been not just wrong, but completely, fundamentally, totally wrong recently?

That said I would put nothing past the current administration, but I have no faith that "the media" knows more than anyone else at this time.

I'm not an inbred, cheat or racist. I'm a college basketball fan and appreciate the history of the game. I consider Indiana one of the top 3 jobs in the sport and plan to keep up with the Hoosier off season. It will be the one of, if not the most, notable story to conclude the basketball year and I think you all have a chance to get it right and rebuild a brand.

I also miss the Kentucky/Indiana rivalry. It was the best in the sport at one time and can be again. Natural vitriol and pure passion. UNC/Duke couldn't touch the best of our rivalry when it was right. It was the best college basketball could offer.

I will be all eyes on the tournament this weekend so I'll go away.

(Top 3 job is an opinion. I know the consensus blueblood list UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana. I've always valued UK, Kansas and Indiana more because the game is part of the fabric of the states and a generational passage handed down differently than anywhere else.)

I apologize and respect your response. My heavy handed reply was due to fans of your team trolling this site and kicking us when we're down.

I wish you the best and hope the balance of basketball power returns to the Midwest, where it belongs.

But you're coach is a cheater,and you know it. Nobody else has 2 Final Fours vacated.

No one.

Last edited:
Reactions: moneyadvisor
No. How many times has "the media" been not just wrong, but completely, fundamentally, totally wrong recently?

That said I would put nothing past the current administration, but I have no faith that "the media" knows more than anyone else at this time.

Agree about the media being wrong. A lot. My point isn't that I trust them. I'm just looking at this from the perspective of the media saying their sources are saying he's likely staying. And people on message boards are hearing the opposite. Until it's a done deal one way or the other, it's all speculation.

When was it announced that Crean was coming back because noting is clear right now.
You got it scott. The media guys have to say that for now. They cant say i think he is gone and then he comes back. Would not be good for their careers going forward.

Reactions: snarlcakes
When was it announced that Crean was coming back because noting is clear right now.
No matter what
1) Crean hasn't been extended
2) Has he offered a scholarship since Jericole Hellems in January? I couldn't find any. If so, that is really un-Crean-like.
3) The Missouri sports press did seem to think he was in play. There were tweets, etc. Conversations must have happened.

If Glass extends Crean, that would be tragic...............

I have no connections, just always thought it would be next Monday or Tuesday before anything would be announced. They don't want to take away from the start of the NCAA. Let the first couple of rounds conclude, then on the "off" day, where IU would own the headlines, it'll all come down.

I'm placing my trust in fpeaugh...don't let me down.

I think FG has a plan and I don't think it involves CTC.

I have no insider info but if CTC was definitely going to be here next year wouldn't FG have endorsed him by now?

Maybe our future coach is still coaching their team and FG wants to be able to announce him at the time he demises CTC.

People talk about tracking planes I think we should be tracking independent law firms who would be drawing up both the separation papers for CTC and the contract for our new coach.
It seems FG does not make a move without outside consultants.

I'll keep the faith until there's no chance he's gone. But don't you think it's weird that no one in the media is predicting he will be gone? Again, I'm not saying sports writers are clued in.

But wouldn't some of them have similar sources as you (and others who have saying he's gone)?
No. The people I talk to are definitely not talking to some newspaper journalist. Most of the writers are seriously claiming "sources" who are just other journalists. Just to make a story.

Reactions: pacer

And so it is . . .
I was at the 2002 championship game as well, which was lost due mainly to coaching errors. Plenty of in game evidence to see that Davis was not the long term answer. Pitino wanted the IU job then and had not accrued the sliminess now rightfully attached to his name.

Watershed in the fall of IU hoops.

Fred doesn't want to devalue a building, but he seems to have no problem devaluing the overall program.

I think the "devalue" comment depends a lot on context. I think that had IU hosted and turned in a performance similar to the one @GT, then I think its likely that SOME fans could have turned the environment ugly and hostile towards Crean and maybe even the players, in which case, yes it would have devalued the Assembly Hall. And if indeed Crean is on his way out, it might be the classy move to avoid a truly ungraceful exit.

Agree about the media being wrong. A lot. My point isn't that I trust them. I'm just looking at this from the perspective of the media saying their sources are saying he's likely staying. And people on message boards are hearing the opposite. Until it's a done deal one way or the other, it's all speculation.

Trying to be positive but I think a reason for the split could be because there are 2 competing factions at IU right now who disagree on what should be done. I think Glass wants to keep Crean so any sources close to him (like anyone in the AD) are going to say that Crean is likely staying. I would think that sports writers would be more tied into the AD.

On the other side you could have the BOT and/or some deep pocketed alumni saying hell no. I would think message board people would be more tied to this group through natural contacts so they are hearing something different. There are seldom reasons for sports writers to build deep relationships with the BOT because they rarely get involved in these matters.

On another note, I do not understand why this University has to wait until the entire house is about burned to the ground before making a move. We always wait until the point where the fanbase has to get super pissed and ugly before they are heard. This thing is over. The first game Crean loses next year, things get ugly...and they just get worse from there. Ask Mike Davis. Hanging on for another year when it is clear a divorce is needed is bad for everyone. If you like Crean, why would you want to put him through that?

Reactions: iubud
I think FG has a plan and I don't think it involves CTC.

I have no insider info but if CTC was definitely going to be here next year wouldn't FG have endorsed him by now?

Maybe our future coach is still coaching their team and FG wants to be able to announce him at the time he demises CTC.

People talk about tracking planes I think we should be tracking independent law firms who would be drawing up both the separation papers for CTC and the contract for our new coach.
It seems FG does not make a move without outside consultants.

The firing of Kevin Wilson came out of nowhere, and while not apples to apples, I do expect that if Crean is fired, we won't hear a peep literally until the last moment

I think the "devalue" comment depends a lot on context. I think that had IU hosted and turned in a performance similar to the one @GT, then I think its likely that SOME fans could have turned the environment ugly and hostile towards Crean and maybe even the players, in which case, yes it would have devalued the Assembly Hall. And if indeed Crean is on his way out, it might be the classy move to avoid a truly ungraceful exit.

If Crean ultimately is cut loose then I'll agree with you, though it was a poor choice of words on Glass' part. However, if this ends up with Crean returning then then the NIT dodge was nothing but cowardly, the AD hiding from the fans he knew he was gearing up to screw over.

We'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: JARRODH
What do you mean "at this juncture"? It's March 16th. Many, many coaches have been fired after this date.

Glass may be waiting to make an announcement until new coach's team is done playing.

Glass may be waiting to make an announcement until new coach's team is done playing.

fingers-crossed.jpg

Keep the faith another couple days.
If it doesn't happen by Friday, it isn't going to happen. Is Crean going to be recruiting this weekend? Why would IU allow him to recruit if they are getting rid of him?

Reveal your source or stop claiming you know something.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
That wouls be insane for all involved. Nothing is going to change period.

Well, Glass has proven to be "insane" by turning down the NIT game with the dumbest excuse of all time.

And the fact he STILL hasn't announced if Crean is back or not just throws gas on that fire even more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT