ADVERTISEMENT

Article (link): OSU new assistants uptempo offense

IU? I'm Fine

All-Big Ten
Jul 23, 2006
Tim May writes for the Columbus Dispatch. His article dated Aug 6 printed today in the DDN is linked (sorry if it doesn't let you in...subscription required I guess).

Of course it quotes Wilson and others. He says they don't want to hurry but to be quick and not to let opponents' defenses change.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/DaytonDailyNews/Default.aspx#

The article goes on that back Parris Campbell said new offensive coaches Kevin Wilson and Ryan Day "... push everything that we do, like it’s fast.."

Meyer says he needed to do something new to "...rejuvenate .." the offense against really good defenses since OSU got stale.

And Meyer got Day who was an assistant in the NFL at Philly and San Fran. Uptempo didn't work too much in the pros. But it did in college when Meyer watched QB Kelly at Oregon.

Meyer continues with perspective on how OSU was successful 4 years ago with uptempo and didn't do it consistently since.

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
They're not letting me in. I don't suppose you've got an alternate url? Or have you already paraphrased the most important part?

It would not open for me. KW wanted a quick pace at IU and I enjoyed watching that. He has better tools to work with now and it might be very effective.

Reactions: cryano
Meyer says he needed to do something new to "...rejuvenate .." the offense against really good defenses since OSU got stale.
Well, I guess we'll get an early indication of what kind of progress they've made since they'll be facing a really good defense in the first game.

Well, I guess we'll get an early indication of what kind of progress they've made since they'll be facing a really good defense in the first game.

There is precious little that would create interest in O$U FB for me, but I do like the hurry up offense. Manning was the master at using it situationally.

There is precious little that would create interest in O$U FB for me, but I do like the hurry up offense. Manning was the master at using it situationally.
Nothing pissed him off more than the new rule a few years ago where the official held the ball down and wouldn't allow it to be snapped until everyone was on the field.

Fortunately our defense has been going against
Wilson's offense for sometime now.
And the good news our defense has gone against
the new OSU offense for some time.

Reactions: ESalum86
I agree. My comment was basically tongue-in-cheek. I know OSU is an outstanding team and Meyer's record of 61-6 speaks for itself, but I get tired of the Buckeye hype train and wanted to throw some props IU's way.

The latest hype is Schiano's claim that OSU's DL is the most talented he's ever coached. This from a guy who has coached in the NFL, so the comment is just way over the top.

As a Buckeye fan I can understand how opposing fans get tired of it, but it's got its downside as well. A 9-2 and very often a 10-1 season becomes a failure to meet expectations, a disappointment, and a national label of being overrated. I know that sounds entitled but not every one the sports teams I root for are hyped and expected to win the same as the Buckeye Football team, so I see it from both sides.

Regarding Schiano's claim of the D-Line's talent, I take it as coach speak. Does he see it as motivating? For Personally I don't think it really matters.

A good point made earlier about IU being used to dealing with the up-tempo in practice and knowing the offense that Wilson ran. Whether it leads to IU having a chance to win the game or not, I do think it will impact the game in some way.

I'm excited to see if Wilson can make an impact with the OSU offense. They were more up-tempo in 2012-2014, but Imthink they could have been more so. Got away from it the past two seasons and the offense didn't click as well. I think Up-tempo is perfect for Barrett. He seems to do well when playing more instinctive. He has the ability to be more analytical in his playing but I think it leads him to having analysis paralysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Regarding Schiano's claim of the D-Line's talent, I take it as coach speak. Does he see it as motivating? For Personally I don't think it really matters.
Do you think Hill's suspension is significant, or will the defense not miss a beat?

As a Buckeye fan I can understand how opposing fans get tired of it, but it's got its downside as well. A 9-2 and very often a 10-1 season becomes a failure to meet expectations, a disappointment, and a national label of being overrated. I know that sounds entitled but not every one the sports teams I root for are hyped and expected to win the same as the Buckeye Football team, so I see it from both sides.

A good point made earlier about IU being used to dealing with the up-tempo in practice and knowing the offense that Wilson ran. Whether it leads to IU having a chance to win the game or not, I do think it will impact the game in some way.

I'm excited to see if Wilson can make an impact with the OSU offense. They were more up-tempo in 2012-2014, but Imthink they could have been more so. Got away from it the past two seasons and the offense didn't click as well. I think Up-tempo is perfect for Barrett. He seems to do well when playing more instinctive. He has the ability to be more analytical in his playing but I think it leads him to having analysis paralysis.

Good post.

Wherever OSU fans like you are made...ask them to make more,

Reactions: jsglenn4
Do you think Hill's suspension is significant, or will the defense not miss a beat?

It's never good to lose a quality player. There is tremendous depth in the Buck's D-Line, but within that line less depth at DT than DE. I do t think it will impact the IU game unless there are some injuries between now and then. Even great depth can become a depth problem with injuries. The 2 questions for me are A. How long is the suspension, and B. What did he do and is it a singular on chronic problem? The first you get thru and go forward when he returns, the latter you worry about being able to depend on that player and the impact on the unit.

Good post.

Wherever OSU fans like you are made...ask them to make more,

Thanks. I like to have discussions on opposing boards because I find it more interesting than the combination of echo chamber and venting that I see on my own team's board. I try to be respectful and understand that you also come with a bias as a fan, the same as me. I might on occasion say something sarcastic or goad you a bit, but it's meant a fun and not to demean. I usually make it obvious when I am kidding, but when I've forgotten to do so I've been banned from a couple of boards. Lol.

Reactions: muubell and RBB89
I can remember times when the uptempo offense proved a little frustrating too. It gave opposing offenses more opportunities to score. It can look HORRIBLE if they go in there and quickly go 3 and out. Not to mention if you make a big play on D to change momentum and then the defense is back out on the field a minute later because the offense tried to get something fast.

All just thoughts but it did seem to wear on teams as games went on. If IU can get those quick stops and turn them into points early, it could create some frustration on their end.

I remember some quick up tempo three and outs with the D wearing down. OSU has some serious talent. Be interesting to watch.

Yeah, it could make the game ugly early. When we get more chances to score, that also correlates to OSU getting more chances as well. My hope is that we slow things down on offense to help limit their options. We have to be able to still move the ball though so maybe Big Bacon can help offer some 3rd n short chain movement.

Their D will have been practicing against hurry-up so there's probably not so much use to using it except maybe as surprise or in special situations.

Sometimes Oregon had trouble in games when their up-tempo scheme led to some three and outs which put their defense at a disadvantage. Although I said the Buckeyes used uptempo go their advantage and wished they did it more in 2012, the D did get huffed in a couple of games.Oregon also had a problem when it would have been preferable to slow the game down and blast it up the middle. The hoped for difference with the Buckeyes is that they still have the ability to have a power run game when required. Similarly, hope there's enough quality and quantity with defensive depth to be able to usually get the ball back, and rotate to keep fresh.
I think within the conference with so-called lesser talented teams, the best chance to beat OSU is to score when opportunity provides- which usually isn't much but doesn't happen , hope the Bucks play inconsistently, the score stays close, and maybe a costly mistake or turnover at the end or in a key moment. It's about not being intimidated by the physical differences, stay mentally strong, and take advantage of breaks. That's how Big 10 teams have beaten Meyer since he's been in Columbus. That's how IU has almost won in the past.

Sometimes Oregon had trouble in games when their up-tempo scheme led to some three and outs which put their defense at a disadvantage. Although I said the Buckeyes used uptempo go their advantage and wished they did it more in 2012, the D did get huffed in a couple of games.Oregon also had a problem when it would have been preferable to slow the game down and blast it up the middle. The hoped for difference with the Buckeyes is that they still have the ability to have a power run game when required. Similarly, hope there's enough quality and quantity with defensive depth to be able to usually get the ball back, and rotate to keep fresh.
I think within the conference with so-called lesser talented teams, the best chance to beat OSU is to score when opportunity provides- which usually isn't much but doesn't happen , hope the Bucks play inconsistently, the score stays close, and maybe a costly mistake or turnover at the end or in a key moment. It's about not being intimidated by the physical differences, stay mentally strong, and take advantage of breaks. That's how Big 10 teams have beaten Meyer since he's been in Columbus. That's how IU has almost won in the past.
You'll see with Wilson that, while he'll push the tempo, he's very focused on running from it first. That was his M.O. at Northweatern and Oklahoma and it was certainly his preference at IU. Where he often struggled with it at IU was in the red zone, where imposing your will with the run game proved much more difficult. I suspect he'll be more successful in that regard at OSU.

You'll see with Wilson that, while he'll push the tempo, he's very focused on running from it first. That was his M.O. at Northweatern and Oklahoma and it was certainly his preference at IU. Where he often struggled with it at IU was in the red zone, where imposing your will with the run game proved much more difficult. I suspect he'll be more successful in that regard at OSU.

Meyer at Florida, Utah, and Bowling Green, had the reputation of not developing running backs because he didn't have any 1000 yard rushers. He went with more of a group effort with smaller quicker guys. That was a big concern (well, not real big) when he came to Columbus because of the running back tradition. At OSU now he's had three running backs in a row who have been 1000 yard guys. Scheme and philosophy put players in position, but players still make the plays. I agree that at least in the red zone, Wilson should have more beef to cross the goal line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT