ADVERTISEMENT

Around the NCAA: Who's The Best NBA Guard Prospect This Season?

#Bentley

All-Big Ten
Dec 31, 2014
It's a down year in college basketball and there's no clear cut choice of who will cut down nets in April. UK and Duke have reloaded again but the field seems so much more open than last season. Plus, the array of NBA talent may be better than last year's crop of college studs. I group shooting guards and point guards together.

I don't know if they will all be there but Jamal Murray, Kris Dunn and Melo Trimble should be locks. And we will see what Malik Newman displays and if he develops as a point guard. Same with Antonio Blakeney. Jackson from ND is somebody else I need to see more of and you have Briscoe. EC Matthews is an interesting combo guard. I think Grayson can push for late lottery if he displays combo ability and plays within the offense more. And you have experienced NCAA players like Buddy Hield, Tyrone Wallace, Caris LeVert, Ron Baker, Monte Morris, Isaiah Taylor, Denzel Valentine and Marcus Paige. Internationally, you have Timothe Luwawu, Furkan Korkmaz, George De Paula, et al. It's a strong guard class. I'd say after power forwards, guards is the strongest position, at least in terms of depth.

Isaiah Briscoe:
I'm still trying to buy in on Briscoe. I think he's more Jamaal Tinsley. He's hot and cold with me. There's a lot about his game that I like and just as much as I don't. I expect he needs to make some major adjustments to maximize his draft stock and effectiveness on the college level. He's unathletic and has below average shooting skills, which will produce an inefficient, bad defending PG. Can he get to the rim without bullying? Doubt it. When he gets into the lane, can he finish in traffic? I saw him get stuffed way too often at the Hoop Summit and the McDonald's All American Game. His passing skills surprised me and his ball handling skills lead to some creative things but I just don't see a first round talent. Right now he looks like the third or even fourth best pro prospect on that team.

Melo Trimble: A bit old for his class but I don't see a 15 pick gap between he and Murray. I want to see how he plays as the teams number one player. Last year, he had Dez Wells. This year, he's going to have a freshmen in Diamond Stone. I just want to see if he can carry a team as a number option to the dance.

Kris Dunn: The junior out of Providence is a pure point guard averaging 8.8 assists per 40 minutes last season. Dunn looks like Wade did in college. He has elite NBA level athleticism, finishing, and unstoppable pull up and driving ability. Two years ago, his defensive rating was 102.7. Last year, his defensive rating was 94.2. It's a collective rating, but it shows he continues to improve and grow (literally with his 6'9 wingspan). His age will lower his ceiling but If he can get that jump shot to fall, watch out.

Jamal Murray: All it took for Murray to project as a top 10 pick was the Hoop Summit and a commitment to UK. Not the FIBA or EYBL tournament he scorched. Ha. He has "it." He has all the tools and skill to be the number one guard in next years draft. Superior body control, shooting, athleticism, finishing, craftiness and a natural playmaker. He is no Mudiay or Russell. Murray is a ball mover. Mudiay and Russell are special passers. I see some Russell as far as scoring potential and he has similar physical dimensions as Mudiay/Russell (thicker than both). Michigan was recruiting the kid since his sophomore year, so I'm quite familiar with his game and would put anything on the line that he is not on the same tier as a prospect. I could see him as a top five sleeper in next year's draft.

Last edited:
DraftExpress has the following current NCAA guards as projected first round picks right now: Jamal Murray (UK), Malik Newman (Miss St), Kris Dunn (Providence), Demetrious Jackson (ND), Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (Kansas), Isaiah Briscoe (UK), Caris LeVert (Michigan), and Tim Quarterman (LSU)

Murray and Newman seem like the surest bets. The rest will have to play very well this year to live up to the hype. Myhailiuk to me is the real head scratcher. He only played 11 minutes per game last season for Kansas and they return a lot of talent and add some very nice freshmen. He might not play more than 15 minutes per game this season. Tough to project to the 1st round when you barely play.

Isaiah Briscoe has been working out. On the off chance that his body transformation helps with his explosiveness we may have something here. He has better court vision but what makes him significantly better than the Harrison twins?

I'm skeptical of Mykhailiuk on DX's mock. He needs a few more years to add muscle and improve that shot. For his situation he will have a ton of experience playing in the FIBAS and college when entering the NBA. I comp his game to Stauskas with his shooting potential, ability to create off the dribble, and the physicality.

Last edited:
It's a down year in college basketball and there's no clear cut choice of who will cut down nets in April. UK and Duke have reloaded again but the field seems so much more open than last season. Plus, the array of NBA talent may be better than last year's crop of college studs. I group shooting guards and point guards together.

I don't know if they will all be there but Jamal Murray, Kris Dunn and Melo Trimble should be locks. And we will see what Malik Newman displays and if he develops as a point guard. Same with Antonio Blakeney. Jackson from ND is somebody else I need to see more of and you have Briscoe. EC Matthews is an interesting combo guard. I think Grayson can push for late lottery if he displays combo ability and plays within the offense more. And you have experienced NCAA players like Buddy Hield, Tyrone Wallace, Caris LeVert, Ron Baker, Monte Morris, Isaiah Taylor, Denzel Valentine and Marcus Paige. Internationally, you have Timothe Luwawu, Furkan Korkmaz, George De Paula, et al. It's a strong guard class. I'd say after power forwards, guards is the strongest position, at least in terms of depth.

Isaiah Briscoe:
I'm still trying to buy in on Briscoe. I think he's more Jamaal Tinsley. He's hot and cold with me. There's a lot about his game that I like and just as much as I don't. I expect he needs to make some major adjustments to maximize his draft stock and effectiveness on the college level. He's unathletic and has below average shooting skills, which will produce an inefficient, bad defending PG. Can he get to the rim without bullying? Doubt it. When he gets into the lane, can he finish in traffic? I saw him get stuffed way too often at the Hoop Summit and the McDonald's All American Game. His passing skills surprised me and his ball handling skills lead to some creative things but I just don't see a first round talent. Right now he looks like the third or even fourth best pro prospect on that team.

Melo Trimble: A bit old for his class but I don't see a 15 pick gap between he and Murray. I'm confident he'll light it up, lead the Terps to a semi-deep tourney run and be a projected first rounder at seasons end. He's too skilled & creative with the rock to slip into the second round.

Kris Dunn: The junior out of Providence is a pure point guard averaging 8.8 assists per 40 minutes last season. Dunn looks like Wade did in college. He has elite NBA level athleticism, finishing, and unstoppable pull up and driving ability. Two years ago, his defensive rating was 102.7. Last year, his defensive rating was 94.2. It's a collective rating, but it shows he continues to improve and grow (literally with his 6'9 wingspan). His age will lower his ceiling but If he can get that jump shot to fall, watch out.

Jamal Murray: All it took for Murray to project as a top 10 pick was the Hoop Summit and a commitment to UK. Not the FIBA or EYBL tournament he scorched. Ha. He has "it." He has all the tools and skill to be the number one guard in next years draft. Superior body control, shooting, athleticism, finishing, craftiness and a natural playmaker. He is no Mudiay or Russell. Murray is a ball mover. Mudiay and Russell are special passers. I see some Russell as far as scoring potential and he has similar physical dimensions as Mudiay/Russell (thicker than both). Michigan was recruiting the kid since his sophomore year, so I'm quite familiar with his game and would put anything on the line that he is not on the same tier as a prospect. I could see him as a top five sleeper in next year's draft.
Maker.......lol

I think Valentine from MSU is going to move up quite a bit from his current 47th spot at draft express before its all said and done.
Looked good overseas last month and at the Pan Am games.

Notice no mention of JBJ, which is why I think he's at IU for his jr. year.

Notice no mention of JBJ, which is why I think he's at IU for his jr. year.

does he have a position in the NBA? Seems like a future role player off the bench. Hard to see him getting drafted high when he probably can't guard PGs or SGs.

I consider Blackmon a Rio Grande Valley (RGV) project. Send him there after next season and pray he can figure out how to play PG. I think he has great offensive capabilities and is athletic and sufficiently long enough to be a decent PG defender. I also really like him because I think he is very undervalued.

I will admit Blackmon wasn't very efficient down the stretch last season.

The second round players I want to pursue (barring getting a seven footer):
  1. Dorian Finney-Smith
  2. Danuel House
  3. James Blackmon

It is difficult to predict how younger players will turn out. I simply think Blackmon is to a great degree an extremely low risk high reward prospect.

Last edited:
Koenig actually could be a journeyman nba pg if he countinues to develop. On blackmon, no way in hell he can defend high major pg's let alone NBA ones. He just doesnt have the quicks. But i think he will make a big jump this year offensively

Koenig actually could be a journeyman nba pg if he countinues to develop. On blackmon, no way in hell he can defend high major pg's let alone NBA ones. He just doesnt have the quicks. But i think he will make a big jump this year offensively

To me Blackmon seems like the ideal kind of player you want to recruit in college. Not big enough or athletic enough to get NBA attention, but skilled enough to play at a high level in college for 4 years.

Reactions: mazz
OP is a toolbag...didn't read one word of this thread....I accidentally, almost typed "wort"...and that would have made more sense...because I brew beer...OP is a toolbag...

Really none of these players get me to excited from an NBA perspective. I'll have to see the Frosh play before jumping on any of their bandwagons. I could see Buddy Hield from Oklahoma being a real good pro player. He may not possess the athletic upside of the players who get all hyped but he has the NBA strength and is not a slouch athletically. He could be one of more polished players coming into the draft if he improves his game even further this year and no reason to think he won't.

As far as IU players:

I know Yogi is short but I like his prospects of being a solid rotation NBA player.

Can Troy williams project as an NBA SG? Will he work hard to keep developing and learning the game? He really needs to make better decisions and get his game under control. His mistake rate really hurts him in the eyes of NBA scouts I would guess. Everything else is there for him. I think I'd rather have him as SG prospect than Levert.

I think JBJ should stay for his Jr. year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT