ADVERTISEMENT

Archie

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I’ve spent a lot of time defending Archie the last couple days.

I’ve seen all the same things his detractors have pointed out. And I do think the program isn’t in as bad of shape as many make it out to be.

But man, this team sure is frustrating to watch. Nebraska is likely the worst B10 team since Creans first IU team. A loss here sure wouldn’t be cool.

I’d bet that, if you thought enough about it, you’d realize that your opinion is really based on unsupported optimistic hope or goodwill, not anything tangible or evident.

The results are what they are. We haven’t gone anywhere in his 3 years. Not only that, his teams don’t even seem to improve through an individual season. And, to me, that’s one of the hallmarks or effective coaching.

He hasn’t earned your defense, North.

I’d bet that, if you thought enough about it, you’d realize that your opinion is really based on unsupported optimistic hope or goodwill, not anything tangible or evident.

The results are what they are. We haven’t gone anywhere in his 3 years. Not only that, his teams don’t even seem to improve through an individual season. And, to me, that’s one of the hallmarks or effective coaching.

He hasn’t earned your defense, North.

No...I could break down a lot of things that are better now than when he arrived. Could show film. Could compare trends from this year versus last year versus year 1. Don’t have time, nor do I care to do it. But it’s all there.

Its up and down, for sure, but on the whole... we have a more solid defense than we did with Crean. We have a more solid recruiting plan and philosophy. And that’s been backed up by recruiting successes, without any ridiculous offers or signings. We didn’t have any really bad losses this year (no quad 3 and 4). Like we did his first couple years. And like Crean nearly always had.

He’s still relying on deeply flawed players. Especially in the backcourt. And he hasn’t done enough with them, and hasn’t addressed the issues quickly via recruiting.

But there isn’t any question we’re better today than we were when he showed up.

Enough better? Debatable. I’m ok with where we sit because I’m not comfortable with our admin making any better hire right now. And he’ll have pretty darn good teams the next couple years.

Up and down. Up and down. Within the same games even. Grrrrrrrr

The fact that you feel compelled to break out game film to demonstrate how our program has progressed since Archie became coach demonstrates my argument better than I could in a thousand word essay.

You’re squinting hard to see it — because you want to see it. It’s understandable, but also a big reason why we seem to keep spinning our wheels.

Reactions: cryano
The fact that you feel compelled to break out game film to demonstrate how our program has progressed since Archie became coach demonstrates my argument better than I could in a thousand word essay.

You’re squinting hard to see it — because you want to see it. It’s understandable, but also a big reason why we seem to keep spinning our wheels.

Now you’re reaching. I said I don’t have time, nor do I care to do it. Because I know the game, and know when I’m seeing improvement, I know film would back me up.

We’re not improving fast enough for you. That’s cool. I’d rather we were a top 15-20 team too. But there are good things happening.

Still watching?

Yeah. Why? Put a scrappy team away. We were good at times bad at times. Typical for this team.

If they play any more of the games...I think the PSU game will be a good one. And we’ll be up and down like we always are. But it’ll be close at the end.

Yeah. Why? Put a scrappy team away. We were good at times bad at times. Typical for this team.

If they play any more of the games...I think the PSU game will be a good one. And we’ll be up and down like we always are. But it’ll be close at the end.
Sounds on par. If they don’t cancel it all that is.

I have to believe there is a way for them to play games. I can see fans not wanting to be around a bunch of strangers. But these guys can get tested and then play the games.

I’ve spent a lot of time defending Archie the last couple days.

I’ve seen all the same things his detractors have pointed out. And I do think the program isn’t in as bad of shape as many make it out to be.

But man, this team sure is frustrating to watch. Nebraska is likely the worst B10 team since Creans first IU team. A loss here sure wouldn’t be cool.
They didn’t lose. They won in dominating fashion and this is why it’s wise to wait until the game is over to post negative stuff.

They didn’t lose. They won in dominating fashion and this is why it’s wise to wait until the game is over to post negative stuff.

Huh? Kind of my point that this team IS frustrating as hell to watch. But there are good things going on with the program.

Being down by 6, to literally the worst B10 team in a decade, is frustrating. True to form, they solidified and put them away. Minus the 11-0 run where they went brain dead for 2 minutes.

Those are the things that have lost us games against good teams. So it’s frustrating to see. Just like it’s good to see the good stuff.

There’s enough of the good stuff, on and off the court, to keep me positive and optimistic.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Well, my negative feelings go a lot deeper than any one game — especially a game against a badly depleted 14th seed. Nebraska’s record this year was on par with Crean’s first couple years when we had a team that consisted largely of D2 level players.

I mean, I’m always glad to get a W. But let’s not pretend we’ve turned any corners.

Huh? Kind of my point that this team IS frustrating as hell to watch. But there are good things going on with the program.

Being down by 6, to literally the worst B10 team in a decade, is frustrating. True to form, they solidified and put them away. Minus the 11-0 run where they went brain dead for 2 minutes.

Those are the things that have lost us games against good teams. So it’s frustrating to see. Just like it’s good to see the good stuff.

There’s enough of the good stuff, on and off the court, to keep me positive and optimistic.
Good teams get down to lesser teams routinely in basketball games. Going all negative on the better team early in the game is the thing that isn’t routine.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Good teams get down to lesser teams routinely in basketball games. Going all negative on the better team early in the game is the thing that isn’t routine.

Sigh. I must not have been making my point clearly enough. I spent a lot of time defending Archie these last couple days. And have continued that tonight, while still losing to the aforementioned worst team in a decade... knowing that they were going to turn it on and put the bad team away. That’s what good teams do. And they’ve done that against lesser teams all year long.

It’s ok to point out the bad things...even better when you also acknowledge the good things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT