ADVERTISEMENT

Listened to Fisch for the game yesterday

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I was out of town and driving back home during the game. Man I forgot how much I love listening to Fisch do the games. I’m gonna have to start doing the radio sync thing again.

The first half sounded like we defended our asses off. Second half maybe let up a little bit. Suhr was talking a lot about the stark difference in ball pressure between the halves.

This is where Xavier ends up taking us to a higher level, in my opinion. When this team guards the ball well, we’re a top 5 level team. Sounds like we looked top 5 fist half. Not as much 2nd half, yesterday. If X had played, I bet we wouldn’t have dropped off quite as much in the 2nd half.

Huge win. Can’t wait to watch the replay. Beat Rutgers asses now on Tuesday!

I was out of town and driving back home during the game. Man I forgot how much I love listening to Fisch do the games. I’m gonna have to start doing the radio sync thing again.

The first half sounded like we defended our asses off. Second half maybe let up a little bit. Suhr was talking a lot about the stark difference in ball pressure between the halves.

This is where Xavier ends up taking us to a higher level, in my opinion. When this team guards the ball well, we’re a top 5 level team. Sounds like we looked top 5 fist half. Not as much 2nd half, yesterday. If X had played, I bet we wouldn’t have dropped off quite as much in the 2nd half.

You have to remember we were carrying a lot of fouls by half and couldn't afford to get deeper. Woody wanted some 3s and we missed them early. Pu hit three or four and erased much of the lead.

I know I’m in the extreme minority, but I can’t stand listening to Fischer. But I typically don’t like listening to radio personalities

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
You have to remember we were carrying a lot of fouls by half and couldn't afford to get deeper. Woody wanted some 3s and we missed them early. Pu hit three or four and erased much of the lead.
Suhr commented that some of the 3s were a little quick? Were the Purdue 3s open looks?

Yeah…I’m sure I looked silly to passers by. At one point with a lot of time in the first half Fisch called that Bates has picked up his third foul. Ended up being Reneau. But at the time JHS, Kopp, and Bates were in foul trouble. I was losing my mind. The staff and kids did a good job managing through that.

Another reason we need X back, 5 more backcourt fouls.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Suhr commented that some of the 3s were a little quick? Were the Purdue 3s open looks?

Yeah…I’m sure I looked silly to passers by. At one point with a lot of time in the first half Fisch called that Bates has picked up his third foul. Ended up being Reneau. But at the time JHS, Kopp, and Bates were in foul trouble. I was losing my mind. The staff and kids did a good job managing through that.

Another reason we need X back, 5 more backcourt fouls.
The tenacious defense in H1 came with a price. At least no Boilies can't complain about any of the officiating.

The 3s we took were quick, Trey took two down in fron of us on the baseline, the second was way deep on the baseline, never had a chance.

Yes, the three 3s they hit were open looks and chewed up more than half of the lead.

I was surprised to see Max Skirvin at halftime during Fisch's 50 year recognition. I didn't know he was still alive. Pretty cool that all but Royce Waltman were there. Well, of course Chuck, too.

Skirvin and Waltman have been the two best color guys during those 50 years.

I was surprised to see Max Skirvin at halftime during Fisch's 50 year recognition. I didn't know he was still alive. Pretty cool that all but Royce Waltman were there. Well, of course Chuck, too.

Both were very good but very different in their approach. Royce was excellent at breaking down what was happening on the court while Max was great at numbers, streaks, and trends of the game.

Reactions: TR32

I wish the B1G would work out broadcast deals that allowed a sync simulcast of each school’s radio team. Give viewers a choice of what to listen to as they watch.

The NFL has been doing this (such as with the Manning Bros version of MNF).

Syncing is actually fairly hard to do, I have pulled it off a couple times, but the successful times were years ago. Now, it's just disjointed, and you are better off to just watch or listen

Reactions: mk20
The tenacious defense in H1 came with a price. At least no Boilies can't complain about any of the officiating.

The 3s we took were quick, Trey took two down in fron of us on the baseline, the second was way deep on the baseline, never had a chance.

Yes, the three 3s they hit were open looks and chewed up more than half of the lead.
Started over helping. Kopp got caught twice over helping.

Hahaha. You think? Check out their page

Hahaha. You think? Check out their page
If they are complainig about the officiating, they are bitter clueless or both. TJD's third foul was the worst call of the game in a game where there were not a lot of bad calls.

I went there yesterday when one of the trolls asked me to. The thing I noticed most was that I was interested to see only one IU fan there trolling while they had 15 - 20 here.

Didn’t mind him back then but these days it’s rough. Met him once, super nice.
Just certain things bother me,
The guy is a legend. I can't remember the last time I listened to more than 10 minutes of a game, too easy to watch on a phone or whatever. What bothers you about Fisch?

We take Fisch for granted sometimes. He is the best that has ever done this.

He has lost half a step in the last few years but he will never be replaced.

Guy can paint a picture with words better than anyone else in his craft.

Nice tributes yesterday.

We take Fisch for granted sometimes. He is the best that has ever done this.

He has lost half a step in the last few years but he will never be replaced.

Guy can paint a picture with words better than anyone else in his craft.

Nice tributes yesterday.

Yeah he's not quite what he was at his best but still very good. I keep expecting to hear that he's retiring but he keeps going.

The guy is a legend. I can't remember the last time I listened to more than 10 minutes of a game, too easy to watch on a phone or whatever. What bothers you about Fisch?
Yes he’s a legend! Personally, it’s his flow which gets disrupted by trying to pronounce players (opponents) names, which is inconsistent. Lack of score updates lol

Like I said, extreme minority so it’s probably a me thing

Reactions: ulrey

Not true. That is all the puKE fans I know talked about today. Said they never foul and we're upset they had 3 guys with 3 fouls. Man, the fouls we're 16-19 in favor of puKES 🤮

Yes he’s a legend! Personally, it’s his flow which gets disrupted by trying to pronounce players (opponents) names, which is inconsistent. Lack of score updates lol

He trips over names a bit more these days. It's one of the things I notice compared to 20 years ago.

Haven't noticed a lack of score updates, it seems to me he mentions the score after almost every change.

I think you’re right. Seemed intentional

Yeah he's not quite what he was at his best but still very good. I keep expecting to hear that he's retiring but he keeps going.
I suspect he will hang it up on the FB side soon, but who knows

Syncing is actually fairly hard to do, I have pulled it off a couple times, but the successful times were years ago. Now, it's just disjointed, and you are better off to just watch or listen
Agreed. I do it... but fortunately for me, the Radio feed is always ahead of the video feed.

On my laptop, a MacBook Pro, I use an application called VLC Video Player. It's an application that can play VIdeo, but you can also capture the audio from a radio stations feed. I use the Feed off of Bloomington's WHCC, Hoosier Country 105.1 FM radio station.

Once I get the radio feed going.... I listen for a specific event in the game. (A foul).... then I immediately pause the radio feed. I watch the TV until that event happens on TV.... then I unpause the radio.

From there... if the sync is off just a bit.... it's just a stop and go on the radio feed to get it sync'd closer.

The other issue..... my video feed it always about 20-30 seconds behind the radio. So during the game, I am always chatting on the GameChat link in the forum.... and the game in chat is always ahead of my feed. So I get to see positive or negative comments during the game... right before it happens on radio. So I know this is something good or bad coming. haha

I can’t stand listening to Fischer. But I typically don’t like listening to radio personalities
Well, it makes perfect sense then, you not liking listening to radio personalities and here Fisher is one of those radio personalities you speak of hearing. What is it about radio personalities that is so offensive to the listen? Is it a general personality thing, those who may be attracted to the field of broadcasting? Have you ever applied for a broadcasting job and were rejected for whatever reason, perhaps one being personality? Is it something else, less obvious...something deeply seated between a rock and a hard place? My only complaint about Fischer is his use of too many, "No question about it..." in his comments, but I still think he's the greatest and always enjoy listening to him.

Well, it makes perfect sense then, you not liking listening to radio personalities and here Fisher is one of those radio personalities you speak of hearing. What is it about radio personalities that is so offensive to the listen? Is it a general personality thing, those who may be attracted to the field of broadcasting? Have you ever applied for a broadcasting job and were rejected for whatever reason, perhaps one being personality? Is it something else, less obvious...something deeply seated between a rock and a hard place? My only complaint about Fischer is his use of too many, "No question about it..." in his comments, but I still think he's the greatest and always enjoy listening to him.
In regards to radio personalities The amount of times they repeat themselves and Poor flow to the topics.

No interest in media ever

I just pause the game on tv and let the radio catch up
Can the TV telecast be speeded up? My radio broadcast is ahead of the TV show, at least thru my fiber optic Internet. There have been a few times when I've run into another room where the radio is on, just to find out ahead of time if an important free throw or other basket will be made.

He struggled at times with FB the last couple years. Rhett Lewis had a pretty good resume when he came here and I wonder if he’ll be doing FB play-by-play this season.
You can say that again!

Can the TV telecast be speeded up? My radio broadcast is ahead of the TV show, at least thru my fiber optic Internet. There have been a few times when I've run into another room where the radio is on, just to find out ahead of time if an important free throw or other basket will be made.
I deal with issue also. I watch the game on my TV using a Roku device (via hardwired internet), using my Spectrum App (cable Provider) on the Roku.

My video is normally about 20 seconds behind the radio feed (FIsch). So... I listen to the radio feed (WHCC) on my computer, using VLC application. With the VLC application... I can pause the feed to let the video catch up to the radio. I usually wait until someone makes a 3 or some other easy identifiable... then I pause radio and then restart when it happens. Then I do baby bumps to synch it in real tight.

The bad part of all that.... I also participate in the Chat during the game and I am always 20 seconds behind all the other people in chat. So when I see bad language in chat... or praise for a player.... I know what is about to come on my feed. lol

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I was listening to a Michigan broadcast a while back, and Terry Mills began every statement with "I'll tell you what." It got pretty comical after a while. Moral of the story, all broadcasters have their quirks.

I deal with issue also. I watch the game on my TV using a Roku device (via hardwired internet), using my Spectrum App (cable Provider) on the Roku.

My video is normally about 20 seconds behind the radio feed (FIsch). So... I listen to the radio feed (WHCC) on my computer, using VLC application. With the VLC application... I can pause the feed to let the video catch up to the radio. I usually wait until someone makes a 3 or some other easy identifiable... then I pause radio and then restart when it happens. Then I do baby bumps to synch it in real tight.

The bad part of all that.... I also participate in the Chat during the game and I am always 20 seconds behind all the other people in chat. So when I see bad language in chat... or praise for a player.... I know what is about to come on my feed. lol
I'm going to just start throwing out random names and curse words to keep it exciting for you. That way you'll never know for sure if somebody actually hit a shot or if something bad happened.

I don't care for listening to basketball games on the radio, Don included. The action happens too fast for anyone to explain it coherently. Don does it as well as anyone else does but it still isn't enjoyable for me.

Max Skirvin was my fave.

Reactions: Crank
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT