ADVERTISEMENT

Anything cryptic here?

That's how I would interpret that comment!
certainly how I'd interpret it and I've never liked CJ's body language on the bench, but, it could also be that he's changing where he is mentally as a player. I'd rather believe that, but it's probably your interpretation. What a shitty teammate if so. If I were Woody, I think I'd be down 2-3 players on this roster already this year.

certainly how I'd interpret it and I've never liked CJ's body language on the bench, but, it could also be that he's changing where he is mentally as a player. I'd rather believe that, but it's probably your interpretation. What a shitty teammate if so. If I were Woody, I think I'd be down 2-3 players on this roster already this year.
Couldn't agree more!

I always like CJ and thought he would be a really good player.
It hasn't worked out yet and if he does transfer, maybe his story will be like Bates! Who knows!

that's why I prefer to hope it's a mental change of places, because imo, he needs it, and if he did, he could be a really good player.
Ill never forget when he made a layup against a scrub team earlier this year when I was sitting underneath the goal. After he finished he was out of bounds and said "this shit is too easy". The fill in band director seemed super impressed, I then told her he shot about 12% from three last year.

Couldn't agree more!

I always like CJ and thought he would be a really good player.
It hasn't worked out yet and if he does transfer, maybe his story will be like Bates! Who knows!
That wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Heck, he might join Bates at Missouri and form the best backcourt in the country. How (not) funny would that be?

I prefer to give the kid benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, with the new space the space inside his head, a public act of self-proclaimed attitude adjustment. CJ and Banks have got to be doing some soul searching after not getting in our last game. In fact, a lot of our players are probably doing the same. It’s what happens to every team this far into the season when a team’s season is heading south when north was the destination.

From our benched shooting guard’s twitter machine…

Portal bound?
It wouldn’t surprise me if he left. He just hasn’t grasped the opportunities when given to keep himself on the floor. And I’m not sure the offensive “system” we run is designed to take advantage of what his strengths are. To me he seems like an athlete that can get up and down the floor a little and could hit some 3’s in transition.

That ain’t Woodson’s offense.

Ill never forget when he made a layup against a scrub team earlier this year when I was sitting underneath the goal. After he finished he was out of bounds and said "this shit is too easy". The fill in band director seemed super impressed, I then told her he shot about 12% from three last year.
Sitting close to Dr.Deem..Or other end ?

It wouldn’t surprise me if he left. He just hasn’t grasped the opportunities when given to keep himself on the floor. And I’m not sure the offensive “system” we run is designed to take advantage of what his strengths are. To me he seems like an athlete that can get up and down the floor a little and could hit some 3’s in transition.

That ain’t Woodson’s offense.
What is Woodson's offense?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Obviously its possible he's referring to transferring...though after reading it, even with the transfer narrative in my head while reading it...I still think its just as likely he's referring to his role on this team...and its a reaction to not playing against Illinois, and how he believes he'll change that dynamic.

That wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Heck, he might join Bates at Missouri and form the best backcourt in the country. How (not) funny would that be?

Could happen, but I doubt it. Bates always looked like he was going to 'break out of it', shooting-wise. He didn't do much else, but he always LOOKED like he could shoot. Gunn's never looked comfortable shooting the ball.

(Relative) good news is that he's now up to 33% on 3s this year.....bad news is he's also shooting 33% on a much higher volume of 2 pt attempts. He's just horrible.

I don't think either Gunn or Banks will make much noise playing anywhere at the P2 level. I do feel like Banks could potentially prosper at a MAC-level program.

Obviously its possible he's referring to transferring...though after reading it, even with the transfer narrative in my head while reading it...I still think its just as likely he's referring to his role on this team...and its a reaction to not playing against Illinois, and how he believes he'll change that dynamic.
That is my hope and think that's a legitmate interpretation of what he posted. Still boggles my mind though, that so many people feel compelled to air their inner mental narratives or struggles to the world.

Could happen, but I doubt it. Bates always looked like he was going to 'break out of it', shooting-wise. He didn't do much else, but he always LOOKED like he could shoot. Gunn's never looked comfortable shooting the ball.

(Relative) good news is that he's now up to 33% on 3s this year.....bad news is he's also shooting 33% on a much higher volume of 2 pt attempts. He's just horrible.
I think Gunn would thrive in an offense that has him moving more off the ball, and that creates more opportunities for guards to shoot and make plays in space.

In most of the offensive stuff Woody's teams run, if its not specifically designed for you...its pretty unilkely you're going to get much of anything in rhythm. We do run specific stuff for Mack...we run stuff that has Trey coming off movement/screening action...and obviously we run stuff for and target Malik and Kelel.

CJ...or X...or Gabe...or most of the time Trey, or most of the time Mack...they're going to have to catch something off post action, and then make a play themselves.

Obviously that's not in CJ's wheelhouse.

If I'm CJ...and I don't feel like Woody has any thoughts of changing his style or philosophies offensively...leaving IU is a no brainer. He's 6'6, athletic, can defend pretty well...at a mimimum, he needs to find out if he could be better in a much more "guard friendly" offense. I think he would be a lot better.

I think Gunn would thrive in an offense that has him moving more off the ball, and that creates more opportunities for guards to shoot and make plays in space.

In most of the offensive stuff Woody's teams run, if its not specifically designed for you...its pretty unilkely you're going to get much of anything in rhythm. We do run specific stuff for Mack...we run stuff that has Trey coming off movement/screening action...and obviously we run stuff for and target Malik and Kelel.

CJ...or X...or Gabe...or most of the time Trey, or most of the time Mack...they're going to have to catch something off post action, and then make a play themselves.

If I'm CJ...and I don't feel like Woody has any thoughts of changing his style or philosophies offensively...leaving IU is a no brainer. He's 6'6, athletic, can defend pretty well...at a mimimum, he needs to find out if he could be better in a much more "guard friendly" offense. I think he would be a lot better.
Very fair analysis. If he’d landed Knecht, he’d have used him as a decoy of some sort. At Tennessee, he’s topped 35 3 times. SMDH.

I think he's more like Lander than Bates.

That is my hope and think that's a legitmate interpretation of what he posted. Still boggles my mind though, that so many people feel compelled to air their inner mental narratives or struggles to the world.
proud to say the only existence I have in the virtual world, aside from a linkedin account (for career reasons only) is the crap I spew on this board. no Twit/X, I fired Zuck and FB yrs ago, and never did any of that insta-snap chatter crap. Much prefer living life in the real world versus the internets.
Now If I could just get my credit card removed from my wife's Amazon prime account.

but as a libertarian...to each, their own. Tweet up, young turks.

Well shit, after hearing that my post was too kind.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Nah he’s scoring 30 tonight. He’s taking on the captain role now. Get on board.
Just for the meltdown it would cause Fran to do, I’d love to see Gunn get the nod early and knock down about 8 3s. I can only imagine what that dirty Perkins would pull to a former HS teammate. Let alone Fran’s boy.

From our benched shooting guard’s twitter machine…

Portal bound?
Cj's dad tweeted about the bad 3 point shooting performance in the game his son didn't play. As a parent, you don't comment on your kid's team.

CJ not playing against Illinois was telling. Either Woody knows something about CJ leaving and already making up his mind or CJ isn't putting the effort into practice. With all his dad has commented on social media, CJ might be agreeing with dad. He isn't telling his dad to shut up. I don't believe IU is a good fit for the Gunn family. I'd rather see Leal play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT