ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone with a weekend recap?

JARRODH

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2002
I would appreciate a recap from Biglew or Snowling or anyone else who attended this weekend's baseball exhibitions. We had obligations this weekend and couldn't make it. Any info on prospective recruits would be nice too. Thanks.

I saw a few tweets, but no finals or wrap-ups. I was a bit disappointed in the coverage; nothing from IU Athletics at all. I am curious about the weekend as well. Please chime in if you have information.

https://twitter.com/HoosierBaseball

Go Hoosiers!

Amen....pretty poor. Just flat out stopped giving Twitter updates after the 6th inning Saturday. Next thing you knew, they were playing Bellarmine the following day. Not a good way to engage fans.

Both games were extended scrimmages. On Saturday IU and MSU played 12 innings. The final score on that was IU 3/MSU 4. Saw a lineup of :
1. Laren Eustace CF
2. Craig Dedlow LF
3. Logan Sowers RF
4. Ryan Finemann C
5. Matt Lloyd 3B
6. Austin Cagelosi 1B
7. Scott Bradley DH
8. Jeremy Houston SS
9. Colby Stratten 2B
All the experienced guys pitched including some new faces. Each guy went 2 innings. Saw Brian Hobbie start the day, looked really good, he's got that slider going which is a really good thing to see. Although he hung one that a kid from MSU launched for a 3 run HR. Paul Milto, Johnathan Stiever, Timmy Herrin, Brad Littleton, Luke Stevenson all pitched and looked good. It was a pretty boring game after the 3rd inning, a pitcher duel if you will.

Sunday was a 10 inning scrimmage, and It ended IU 14/ Bellermine 0. I will say Bellermine is not a very talented squad and the disparity was noticeable. Starters were:
1. Laren Eustace LF
2. Craig Dedlow CF
3. Logan Sowers RF
4. Matt Lloyd 3B
5. Ryan Finemann C
6. Patrick Loeffler DH
7. Scott Bradley 1B
8. Jermey Houston SS
9. Colby Stratten 2B
Lots of offense Sunday, Laren Eustace had a lead off single. Stole 2nd and 3rd, and then Dedlow hit a 400ft Bomb to RF (near the 408 sign which was put up because of schwarber). From there the offense continued to roll. Dedlows next at bat he hit another bomb (in the same spot) and his 3rd at bat he place a beauty of a bunt and beat it out. He was very impressive Sunday.
Pitching was equally impressive. We saw Andrew Salfrank start. Then Cal Kreuger, Jack Egan, Austin Foote, And Cam Beauchamp. All those guys (excluding Foote) are freshman. And they were all excellent. I believe the combined a 5 hit shutout in 10. These guys simply make the pitching staff deep and talented. Probably the deepest quality of arms I've seen here. I think some will be used in certain matchups, but I think all these guys could be a midweek starters, and future 1/2/3's. Most impressive of the bunch was Cam Beauchamp and Cal Kreuger (who's also a 2 way player). Low on experience, but not on talent.

Overall, the team is missing some guys due to injury. Specifically Krupa, Miller, And Butler. I think those guys are eventually competing for the lineup when back, but if they miss extended time these lineups we saw this weekend won't be a big drop off. And I don't think pitching will be as big of a concern, just young.

Thanks Biglew, this is what I was hoping for. I'm sure others appreciate it as well. Can you mention the recruits who were present or would that be a violation?

Reactions: snowling
Both games were extended scrimmages. On Saturday IU and MSU played 12 innings. The final score on that was IU 3/MSU 4. Saw a lineup of :
1. Laren Eustace CF
2. Craig Dedlow LF
3. Logan Sowers RF
4. Ryan Finemann C
5. Matt Lloyd 3B
6. Austin Cagelosi 1B
7. Scott Bradley DH
8. Jeremy Houston SS
9. Colby Stratten 2B
All the experienced guys pitched including some new faces. Each guy went 2 innings. Saw Brian Hobbie start the day, looked really good, he's got that slider going which is a really good thing to see. Although he hung one that a kid from MSU launched for a 3 run HR. Paul Milto, Johnathan Stiever, Timmy Herrin, Brad Littleton, Luke Stevenson all pitched and looked good. It was a pretty boring game after the 3rd inning, a pitcher duel if you will.

Sunday was a 10 inning scrimmage, and It ended IU 14/ Bellermine 0. I will say Bellermine is not a very talented squad and the disparity was noticeable. Starters were:
1. Laren Eustace LF
2. Craig Dedlow CF
3. Logan Sowers RF
4. Matt Lloyd 3B
5. Ryan Finemann C
6. Patrick Loeffler DH
7. Scott Bradley 1B
8. Jermey Houston SS
9. Colby Stratten 2B
Lots of offense Sunday, Laren Eustace had a lead off single. Stole 2nd and 3rd, and then Dedlow hit a 400ft Bomb to RF (near the 408 sign which was put up because of schwarber). From there the offense continued to roll. Dedlows next at bat he hit another bomb (in the same spot) and his 3rd at bat he place a beauty of a bunt and beat it out. He was very impressive Sunday.
Pitching was equally impressive. We saw Andrew Salfrank start. Then Cal Kreuger, Jack Egan, Austin Foote, And Cam Beauchamp. All those guys (excluding Foote) are freshman. And they were all excellent. I believe the combined a 5 hit shutout in 10. These guys simply make the pitching staff deep and talented. Probably the deepest quality of arms I've seen here. I think some will be used in certain matchups, but I think all these guys could be a midweek starters, and future 1/2/3's. Most impressive of the bunch was Cam Beauchamp and Cal Kreuger (who's also a 2 way player). Low on experience, but not on talent.

Overall, the team is missing some guys due to injury. Specifically Krupa, Miller, And Butler. I think those guys are eventually competing for the lineup when back, but if they miss extended time these lineups we saw this weekend won't be a big drop off. And I don't think pitching will be as big of a concern, just young.

What position do you see for Krueger when he's not on the mound? I thought Beauchamp might have a shot at being a 2 way guy too? Any shot of that in the future?

What position do you see for Krueger when he's not on the mound? I thought Beauchamp might have a shot at being a 2 way guy too? Any shot of that in the future?

Krueger may be based on need in future years, he's played mainly Corner OF this fall. Beauchamps future is on the mound.

Reactions: Bligedy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT