ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone interested in an NFL fantasy league for the board?

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
I’ve only participated in a league once before but it could be fun. I have no idea how to set one up or where, though.

Reactions: Digressions
If I had more time than one day I'd be up for it.

We'd have to get the league set up and draft tomorrow since KC and Houston kick off Thursday night.

If we had a large number of water cooler peeps who wanted to play, say 20, we could set up two water cooler leagues (for example the IU WC-Radical Left League and the IU WC-Soulless Right league) of ten so we don't have one massive 20 team league.

Then we could have each league declare a champ by week 15 and then those two Champions would go against each other (we'd keep score manually on the board) to decide the ultimate champion.

But we'd have to get email addresses, set it all up and have both drafts today.

I like the idea especially if we could get a lot of us in.

If someone can get it set up by the end of the day today, I'll join. As long as it's low-pressure. My long-term league dissolved this year because too many people wanted to continue like normal and make it about money.

Can I name my team POTFB?
Of course. I had a name picked out for my team, but I remember that Painter banned the name.

As for POTFH, I have been trying to figure out its origins. I know Doc Kahms, former swim coach at Purdue, was responsible for a lot of memes and slang (e.g., (or so I've heard) A Buckeye is a Hairless Nut) - he made buttons that we (the swimmers) sold at football games to make money. He used to get calls from the Big Ten commissioner's office on Monday mornings if he went a little too far. But I don't think POTFH was his. I did find this from the Purdue "artifacts" collection - apparently they have POTFH "computer punch card, circa 1968-1973:

I don't think I've ever used it, but ESPN allows you to set up your own league, etc. No idea if there are better options out there. I also do not know if the ESPN league allows automated drafting rather than requiring everyone to log in at the same time to conduct the draft - that seems like a very unrealistic option for WC participants.

I don't think I've ever used it, but ESPN allows you to set up your own league, etc. No idea if there are better options out there. I also do not know if the ESPN league allows automated drafting rather than requiring everyone to log in at the same time to conduct the draft - that seems like a very unrealistic option for WC participants.

I run a league on ESPN and I'd recommend that or one of the other online sites, it's free and it's easy and will work with what you want to do. I'm going to pass on the Cooler league though - I barely have time for mine and I have some whiners in the league to deal with. The three biggest whiners are my nephew, sister, and bro-in-law so I have to put up with them. One of their players gets hurt, they'll whine about it for days. Someone makes a trade and one will claim it's unfair even when it's clearly fair. I actually enjoy giving them crap for whining too. It's all good. ;)

I run a league on ESPN and I'd recommend that or one of the other online sites, it's free and it's easy and will work with what you want to do. I'm going to pass on the Cooler league though - I barely have time for mine and I have some whiners in the league to deal with. The three biggest whiners are my nephew, sister, and bro-in-law so I have to put up with them. One of their players gets hurt, they'll whine about it for days. Someone makes a trade and one will claim it's unfair even when it's clearly fair. I actually enjoy giving them crap for whining too. It's all good. ;)

I was in a fantasy league since 1979. Quit last year. I finally got fed up with the NFL and many of the players. In the early days, we hired a scorer who would take Profootball Weekly and score the games.She did that on Thursday and we’d meet for lunch every Thursday to engage in trash talk and listen to whining over cheeseburgers. Good times. The internet changed everything and took out 90% of the fun. We used to make our own lists of players at different positions; that took preparation. Nowadays all you need to do is Google a list. Ugh

We used the ESPN app too. That worked well, but I think there was a charge to set it up.

I was in a fantasy league since 1979. Quit last year. I finally got fed up with the NFL and many of the players. In the early days, we hired a scorer who would take Profootball Weekly and score the games.She did that on Thursday and we’d meet for lunch every Thursday to engage in trash talk and listen to whining over cheeseburgers. Good times. The internet changed everything and took out 90% of the fun. We used to make our own lists of players at different positions; that took preparation. Nowadays all you need to do is Google a list. Ugh

We used the ESPN app too. That worked well, but I think there was a charge to set it up.
The first few years we did it all manually and did our trading by phone or email and then got it cleared and recorded by the commissioner. He did all the scoring too. Big job, but he was married to a Navy Doctor and his work was volunteering on the base in Japan so he had time to do it.

ESPN is free - at least for our league. We do our draft live and usually some of us get together at my sister's house to do it together and knock back a few drinks. A few did go to her house this year too, but most of us did it online in our own houses. Next year we intend to try to get everyone together at her place for the draft. It does make it more fun. We also group text set up for trash talking and whining which gets very active game days.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Can’t help the old part. But I’m much less cranky without fantasy football. No more season-ending injuries for your #1 draft choice.

Well...I don't think the internet injured them, but maybe your league is different. 😂

The first few years we did it all manually and did our trading by phone or email and then got it cleared and recorded by the commissioner. He did all the scoring too. Big job, but he was married to a Navy Doctor and his work was volunteering on the base in Japan so he had time to do it.

ESPN is free - at least for our league. We do our draft live and usually some of us get together at my sister's house to do it together and knock back a few drinks. A few did go to her house this year too, but most of us did it online in our own houses. Next year we intend to try to get everyone together at her place for the draft. It does make it more fun. We also group text set up for trash talking and whining which gets very active game days.

We do the same group text thing in one of our leagues. In another league, we have an auction draft which I feel makes the draft a little more fun and strategic. This year we did a live auction draft via Zoom and it worked out pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT