ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on who will be replacing Mick Lyon?

We haven't recruited our own state well?

Zavaleta and Petts were some of the best recruits in the nation when they came. We just got the mid-fielder from North Central here in Indy, and have other really good players like Corrado and Kostanski from Indiana. Remember that unlike football and basketball, soccer only has about 10 scholarships for the entire team. Most of those are split between players and only a few guys get a full ride right out of high school.

Not to mention that we have a top player from Indiana transferring to us

for next year. With Zav, you have a guy that only played his freshman and senior seasons of high school in Indiana (had TONS of national exposure his sophomore and juniors years) yet we still got him.

I'd say we are doing just fine with recruiting.

IUforLife16

Oh My!

17 of 27 roster players from Indiana (quoted during the Georgetown game IIRC), and a national championship....

"We have not even recruited our own state very well."

It just makes one shake his head in disbelief........
This post was edited on 1/8 12:24 PM by Mas-sa-suta

Why are you all talking about the mens team when the OP is talking about

the women?

Un ... fellas ... Mick Lyon is the coach of the WOMEN'S TEAM who "resigned"

... X weeks ago after 10 years of basically p%ssing in the wind.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

If you have paid any real attention to IU Soccer at all you'd know that the IU women have not done squat under Lyon in 10 years. The top in-state women high school recruits rarely come to IU.

The US Woman's 2012 Gold Medal Squad had two players (out of 20?) from Indiana including one starter and a top reserve. Both of them probably would have cut their legs off rather than go to IU. IU hardly ever made the 8-team Big Ten tournament and never won a game when we did.

You have no idea who Mick Lyon is/was?

Last time an IU woman's soccer coach "resigned" the replacement was named in about 10 days. It's been well over 30 and that's surprising to me. That's why I asked this group of true IU soccer fans (DWS ... a whole lot of S btw).

IF UNC, Notre Dame, Maryland and UCLA (to name a few schools) can have top Mens and Women's teams, why can't IU? That was my point which obviously was lost on this astute group ... who apparently thinks that Mick Lyon is a coach or player on the men's team! D'OH! Brilliant! You guys are F'in Brilliant!!

My bad...

I skimmed over the topic headline and dove right in to the meat of your post, assuming it was about mens soccer. I know who Mick Lyon is, but for some reason I thought you were referencing a mens assistant.

Now it all makes sense.

Yeah .., I saw that. But waiting so long we probably blew an entire year

of recruiting. Checking the roster ... there are lots of freshmen and sophomores ... but we need more talent. We just do. It will suck to have a big hole in the roster because of a lost recruiting class.

Look at what Curt Miller has been able to accomplish in Basketball. Our recruiting is vastly improved already. I hope Amy can do the same in Women's soccer. She's young and seems energetic. I think she can build a hell of a career here. No reason to believe she can't. A lot of in-state women's soccer talent has been lost over the last decade ... and that has always pissed me off.

And for the benefit of casual readers and non-thinkers who may read this post ... Curt Miller is the Women's basketball coach. Tom Crean is the Men's basketball coach. The men's basketball team is recruiting well. The women's team less so until Mr. Mr. Miller arrived. (Never again should I or anyone assume that the readers and faux fans of this particular forum know the difference between Men's and Women's programs at IU. Obviously that is too much to expect ... so I feel obligated to point out the difference.)

Re: You didn't know IU had a woman's soccer team? Repeating myself

Nice rant OpieJuan,
Do you remember when IU did not have a soccer team? The year was 1954 and it was just club soccer. The best players were foreign exchange students who did things with a soccer ball i did not think was possible.
Please stay calm. It helps.
joelpa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT