ADVERTISEMENT

Another one crosses the Rainbow Bridge

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
I'm new to the Rainbow Bridge reference, but that is where my sweet Indy went yesterday. At 14, she had a disc rupture in her back. She was having difficulty Friday, but seemed better on Saturday. At 4:00 a.m. Sunday she woke us up crying. She could get up but was barely walking. By morning she didn't want to move. She started crying again and we took her to the Emergency Pet Hospital where I made the decision. I said goodbye and she opened her eyes, looked around, then at me and closed her eyes for good. She was very peaceful from the minute she got there. She knew I was going to help her.

Indy was a Siberian Husky. I enjoyed watching her run and leap over bushes and while the pool cover was on, she would leap from one edge and nearly cross the entire width. She was an athletic dog and the best Birthday present I have ever received. My mom and dad drove 3 hours one way on the day of my Birthday party to pick Indy up. My mom (that I lost 9 months ago) held her the entire way to our house. They had a special bond. Indy was 6 days short of living with us for 14 years. I am trying to cancel my Birthday party this weekend. Someone won't be there and it is too soon for me.

It is also too soon for another dog. My friend sent me information on a litter of Sibes nearby, but I am not ready. It took a year before we got Indy after our first dog Hoosier passed away. We have had 2 dogs in our marriage and I have picked them both. My wife wants a Golden Doodle like my daughter's dog. It is her turn to pick a dog an I would be happy with that, but nothing would make me laugh or be happier than when my Indy was showing off for me. Don't be surprised to see me hug a Siberian Husky the next time I see one.

RIP Indiana Spirit of Hoosier. You brightened our lives for the 14 years we were together.

I'm new to the Rainbow Bridge reference, but that is where my sweet Indy went yesterday. At 14, she had a disc rupture in her back. She was having difficulty Friday, but seemed better on Saturday. At 4:00 a.m. Sunday she woke us up crying. She could get up but was barely walking. By morning she didn't want to move. She started crying again and we took her to the Emergency Pet Hospital where I made the decision. I said goodbye and she opened her eyes, looked around, then at me and closed her eyes for good. She was very peaceful from the minute she got there. She knew I was going to help her.

Indy was a Siberian Husky. I enjoyed watching her run and leap over bushes and while the pool cover was on, she would leap from one edge and nearly cross the entire width. She was an athletic dog and the best Birthday present I have ever received. My mom and dad drove 3 hours one way on the day of my Birthday party to pick Indy up. My mom (that I lost 9 months ago) held her the entire way to our house. They had a special bond. Indy was 6 days short of living with us for 14 years. I am trying to cancel my Birthday party this weekend. Someone won't be there and it is too soon for me.

It is also too soon for another dog. My friend sent me information on a litter of Sibes nearby, but I am not ready. It took a year before we got Indy after our first dog Hoosier passed away. We have had 2 dogs in our marriage and I have picked them both. My wife wants a Golden Doodle like my daughter's dog. It is her turn to pick a dog an I would be happy with that, but nothing would make me laugh or be happier than when my Indy was showing off for me. Don't be surprised to see me hug a Siberian Husky the next time I see one.

RIP Indiana Spirit of Hoosier. You brightened our lives for the 14 years we were together.

Sorry. They do become part of the family and give you their all. Our dog is 13 and starting to show signs of aging, but is still in great shape, yet I know her day is coming and it will be an incredibly sad one. FWIW, my prior dog was a shepherd and I loved her. I resisted getting another dog for a long time, but finally gave in to the wishes of the rest of the family. The current dog has been the best pet I've ever had. She's a Labradoodle and I do think they make great pets. A big bonus is how little they shed. I think if you do end up with one, you'll be happy and it might help ease the pain of losing Indy.

Last edited:
Sorry. They do become part of the family and give you there all. Our dog is 13 and starting to show signs of aging, but is still in great shape, yet I know her day is coming and it will be an incredibly sad one. FWIW, my prior dog was a shepherd and I loved her. I resisted getting another dog for a long time, but finally gave in to the wishes of the rest of the family. The current dog has been the best pet I've ever had. She's a Labradoodle and I do think they make great pets. A big bonus is how little they shed. I think if you do end up with one, you'll be happy and it might help ease the pain of losing Indy.
My daughter's Golden Doodle was spent this weekend with us while my daughter was out of town. Jerry was very sweet to Indy. He would normally try to play, but he quietly sat with her and gave her kisses. He made it easier to come home, but I am not ready for another dog.

Last time I was the one that wanted a dog soon after we lost ours. I believe it will be the hold out this time. I might be tempted if a Husky shows up at the shelter I have considered being a foster parent from one of the local shelters.

Working from home makes it hard. I would see Indy all day. I keep wanting to go outside to see her and then realize she isn't there.

So sorry....it will absolutely destroy me when I lose my two dogs.

Seventeen years ago my wife brought home two kittens. I asked if we were having tacos for dinner.

Since then I've grown to tolerate them. My wife says I like them, but she's been known to stretch the truth. But they make her happy. What are you gonna do. Her favorite came up lame a few years ago. Local vet said he couldn't help, thought there was some kind of hip displacement going on, suggested we go to a vet hospital in Indy. Did you know you can do ACL surgery on a cat? Yup. Only $3K. I did a cost/benefit and decided it was cheaper than a divorce.

Both are now old and arthritic and having trouble hitting the litter box. I'm still tolerating them. Wife says I still like them. Fine, if that's what she wants to believe. I'll continue to deny it.

Did you know you can do ACL surgery on a cat? Yup. Only $3K. I did a cost/benefit and decided it was cheaper than a divorce.

You paid $3000 for knee surgery on a creature that would gladly kill you in your sleep if it only had an opposable thumb? I've always suspected Cat People were idiots.

But sorry about your dog iubud. I don't talk to God but if I did I'd make sure to tell her that dogs are the best thing she's done.

You paid $3000 for knee surgery on a creature that would gladly kill you in your sleep if it only had an opposable thumb? I've always suspected Cat People were idiots.
The wife is the Cat Person. My decision was based purely on financial considerations.

Sorry for your loss. It's the worst. Been two years for me and I'm just starting to consider another.

It's never easy--even when it's a pet. When you have a dog for almost 14 years, it is almost like a family member. Our golden retriever was about 12 1/2 years old when we had him euthanized about three months ago. My wife still cries when she thinks about him.

My condolences to you and your family, IUBud.

We lost the World's Best Golden on 2/4/09, the day IU won its first and only Big Ten game in Crean's first year. After returning from our favorite saloon after toasting Jackson numerous times I had to feel the Hoosiers had a little canine angelic assistance against Iowa that night. An emotional day, during which I swore I'd never go through this again. The loss was too deep.

I was told by some wise people that the therapeutic thing to do was to find another dog to love. I was adamant that that just wasn't in the cards. Nevertheless, Jackson's breeder called early in 2010 and said one of her ladies was going to have a litter in May and that we had dibs on the first pick. Long story short, the new World's Best Golden was born on 5/5 and came home on 7/7. Now 8, he is my bestest buddy.

I would urge to honor Indy and jump back in. Your heart will heal and you'll love your new boy as much as you loved Indy. You may not think so now but trust me on this.

And you have something to look forward to when Indy is there at the Bridge ....

We lost the World's Best Golden on 2/4/09, the day IU won its first and only Big Ten game in Crean's first year. After returning from our favorite saloon after toasting Jackson numerous times I had to feel the Hoosiers had a little canine angelic assistance against Iowa that night. An emotional day, during which I swore I'd never go through this again. The loss was too deep.

I was told by some wise people that the therapeutic thing to do was to find another dog to love. I was adamant that that just wasn't in the cards. Nevertheless, Jackson's breeder called early in 2010 and said one of her ladies was going to have a litter in May and that we had dibs on the first pick. Long story short, the new World's Best Golden was born on 5/5 and came home on 7/7. Now 8, he is my bestest buddy.

I would urge to honor Indy and jump back in. Your heart will heal and you'll love your new boy as much as you loved Indy. You may not think so now but trust me on this.

And you have something to look forward to when Indy is there at the Bridge ....
I know you are right about getting another dog. As soon as I stop expecting to see her or thinking I heard her, I'll start looking.

We have a private no-kill shelter that has volunteers to provide foster homes. I wish I could do that. I hate to say that if I foster an older dog, I will just keep it. I don't want to go through losing another pet in a couple of years. God Bless those that adopt the older dogs! I'm not that good.

I looked online last night and saw a lot of dogs, but none that I felt compelled to look into. I am really not interested in paying $2,500 - $3,000 for a Goldendoodle. My daughter got one for $1,200, but that is still more than I want to pay for a dog. I'm hoping to find a young shelter dog that calls out to me like our first dog.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT