ADVERTISEMENT

Another church shooting

51fd6d40-2abd-4a58-9e24-7ac72fd4fbde.png

And counting...

Cough, cough, you do realize that the red on that map is made up of areas that have the strictest gun laws on the books don't you?

Yeah, those tough gun laws are sure working... I know the populace of LA, Chicago, and D.C. all feel safer tonight because of them. (Completely covered in Red on your map).

Conversely, the Western states (aside from the left coast) have the lowest numbers. (Less Red) Couldn't be that they grew up with firearms in their homes out there and have actually learned firearm safety and a healthy respect for the type of destructive power their inherent use represents... ? Naw...

Great map by the way...

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Cough, cough, you do realize that the red on that map is made up of areas that have the strictest gun laws on the books don't you?

Yeah, those tough gun laws are sure working... I know the populace of LA, Chicago, and D.C. all feel safer tonight because of them. (Completely covered in Red on your map).

Conversely, the Western states (aside from the left coast) have the lowest numbers. (Less Red) Couldn't be that they grew up with firearms in their homes out there and have actually learned firearm safety and a healthy respect for the type of destructive power their inherent use represents... ? Naw...

Great map by the way...
It also could be counties with 10 people in them just are so small they are unlikely to have shootings.

The top 20 recipients of gun lobby money are all REPUBLICANS:

DN5fvJbVwAAw-yZ.jpg:large
Why did Trump accept $900,000 from any lobbyist? Didn't he say during the campaign that he was using his own money to run for president?

This is as good of a place as any for this story about Vegas survivors being harassed online as government paid crisis actors.

The things people will do to ensure someone like the church shooter can have a year in prison for assault and still successfully pass a background check to buy a weapon is amazing.

Is that not a failure of the laws currently on the books? If he is a convicted felon it would be illegal for him to own the gun in the first place. If gun stores are failing to live up to their end of things, make it simple...start making the store owners culpable (through civil suits) for their failure to properly do background checks on individuals. (The modified CoH plan.)

Additionally, we really need to look at mental health in this country. I think that is a bigger issue than anything.

Is that not a failure of the laws currently on the books? If he is a convicted felon it would be illegal for him to own the gun in the first place. If gun stores are failing to live up to their end of things, make it simple...start making the store owners culpable (through civil suits) for their failure to properly do background checks on individuals. (The modified CoH plan.)

Additionally, we really need to look at mental health in this country. I think that is a bigger issue than anything.

I am not sure of the conviction, this morning they said he spent "A year in the brig", which implies a military conviction to me. Are those reported the same way? Also, misdemeanor assault of his wife and child would not block gun ownership.

Wouldn't these store owners already be susceptible to civil suits? We need to significantly increase the criminal penalties for owners not following the law. If there was a possibility of life in prison for blood on their hands, I'd expect more stringent law abiding.

Great map by the way...

Or you know....could be common sense.....something sorely lacking from your post.

712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is as good of a place as any for this story about Vegas survivors being harassed online as government paid crisis actors.

The things people will do to ensure someone like the church shooter can have a year in prison for assault and still successfully pass a background check to buy a weapon is amazing.

The Trump base.

Great map by the way...
This literally doesn’t happen in any other developed country, and that’s a stupid argument considering a good chunk of those western states are much less populated.

They’re never going to take way all your damn guns, but they aren’t toys and should be hard as hell to get. This is ridiculous.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Is it possible that the reason there aren't these type of shootings in other countries with anything near the frequency as the US is that only the US has mental illness? We keep hearing it is only a mental illness issue. So that must mean no one in Europe, for example, has mental illness. Because if mental illness is the sole contributor to the problem, the only explanation is only Americans become mentally ill.

This literally doesn’t happen in any other developed country, and that’s a stupid argument considering a good chunk of those western states are much less populated.

They’re never going to take way all your damn guns, but they aren’t toys and should be hard as hell to get. This is ridiculous.

Norway, France, Russia.

You wanna talk about bombings? Last I checked TNT is contraband and hard to obtain.

Dude this is Texas we're talking about.Do you think gun shop owners/customers in Texas willingly obey "laws"?

This will be what the "armed citizenry" proponents will grab onto.

I already know who the “special guest” is gonna be on a lot of Fox shows soon. Assuming this “local resident” doesn’t have a problem being on tv. I bet Hannity is already looking into producing a movie about them. He’s already got a movie about Jesus, now he can do one about the second amendment. Hannity could easily get elected president after that.

Norway, France, Russia.

You wanna talk about bombings? Last I checked TNT is contraband and hard to obtain.

Can't be sure about Russia,but on the surface the only one of those that you mentioned that was perpetrated by a home grown citizen terrorist was Norway.And Breivik had much more in common with European Fascists and American Neo-Nazis than the idea he was just an average Norwegian gun owner.

It would seem that in any country with strict gun laws it is the right wing gun owner (aside from terrorists) that ends up using a gun to murder and make a statement.For example I'm not aware of any left wing Aussies that procured an illegal gun and killed someone.I do know that Breivik was a Timothy Mcveigh clone who felt that murdering a bunch of innocent teenagers was a just cause.And the Brit Nazi that murdered Labour MP Jo Cox shouted "Britain first" before he shot her and stabbed her 16 times...

You may be able to come up with examples from the other side of the aisle.I'm just not presently aware of any...

I am not sure of the conviction, this morning they said he spent "A year in the brig", which implies a military conviction to me. Are those reported the same way? Also, misdemeanor assault of his wife and child would not block gun ownership.

I saw USAToday says it was military conviction for assault. I am guessing that doesn't block ownership of a gun. Could that be worth looking at? The assault was on wife and child, could most of us agree assaulting a child should be a red flag on gun ownership?

Great map by the way...
As has been discussed on here several times, Chicago , for example gets the large majority of their guns from their friendly neighbor Indiana, whose gun laws are very lax. The shooting in Texas is also a place with extremely lax gun laws. Depending on the church, they have the right to have their weapons right with them in their pews. A lot of the areas out west are just large spots of land without many people living there, hence it would be difficult to have mutiple gun incidents.

Reactions: HoosierPeach
Can't be sure about Russia,but on the surface the only one of those that you mentioned that was perpetrated by a home grown citizen terrorist was Norway.And Breivik had much more in common with European Fascists and American Neo-Nazis than the idea he was just an average Norwegian gun owner.

It would seem that in any country with strict gun laws it is the right wing gun owner (aside from terrorists) that ends up using a gun to murder and make a statement.For example I'm not aware of any left wing Aussies that procured an illegal gun and killed someone.I do know that Breivik was a Timothy Mcveigh clone who felt that murdering a bunch of innocent teenagers was a just cause.And the Brit Nazi that murdered Labour MP Jo Cox shouted "Britain first" before he shot her and stabbed her 16 times...

You may be able to come up with examples from the other side of the aisle.I'm just not presently aware of any...

There is nothing right wing about mass murder. You can stop the right wing bullshit.

Reactions: Cajun54
Norway, France, Russia.

Don’t throw out fricken Norway dude. I’ve seen the bullshit NRA “per capita mass shootings deaths” table many times over. They had one major mass shooting and that’s thrown the statistical relevance of Norway completely off the deepend. Simple math shows that killing 77 Norwegians in one mass shooting is analogous to almost 5000 Americans being killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sglowrider
Don’t throw out fricken Norway dude. I’ve seen the bullshit NRA “per capita mass shootings deaths” table many times over. They had one major mass shooting and that’s thrown the statistical relevance of Norway completely off the deepend. Simple math shows that killing 77 Norwegians in one mass shooting is analogous to almost 5000 Americans being killed.

Think critically, don’t parrot Drudge.

I haven’t looked at Drudge for at least 48 hours. Wat did he say?

My post was in response to the allegation that this “literally” doesn’t happen in other places.

There's only two reasons I can think of to own assault weapons capable of killing massive numbers of people:
- You're serving in a "well-organized militia"
- You want to be able to be able to "defend yourself" against the police/military for some reason

I haven’t looked at Drudge for at least 48 hours. Wat did he say?

My post was in response to the allegation that this “literally” doesn’t happen in other places.
That’s fair. Forget Drudge I apologize. As someone who is skilled and trained in statistical analysis I am intellectually averse to throwing outliers into comparisons.

There is nothing right wing about mass murder. You can stop the right wing bullshit.
That's a crock you're eating from. Australia got rid of guns and with them gun violence. You know what a precedent is, right? You're complicit in mass murder, guy. Own it.

Reactions: sglowrider
That's a crock you're eating from. Australia got rid of guns and with them gun violence. You know what a precedent is, right? You're complicit in mass murder, guy. Own it.
That's actually quite debatable. Although gun violence has been dropping in Australia, there are two things to note: First, the drop began before the law was passed, and, second, the drop generally tracks similar drops in other western nations over the same period (i.e., most western nations have seen gun homicides drop by about 50% since 1990, regardless of any changes in laws). Researchers have not yet reached a consensus on how much of an effect the National Firearms Agreement had.

We’re gonna need to get somewhere real between “status quo” and “get rid of guns” if we’re going to move the needle.
At least in the case of this shooting, fixing the national background check system seems like a good place to start. By any interpretation of the law, his conviction of assault against his wife and child should have precluded him from buying a gun. So, either the law is bad, or the system didn't work, or the store didn't make proper use of the system. Somewhere in that process, something went wrong.

That's actually quite debatable. Although gun violence has been dropping in Australia, there are two things to note: First, the drop began before the law was passed, and, second, the drop generally tracks similar drops in other western nations over the same period (i.e., most western nations have seen gun homicides drop by about 50% since 1990, regardless of any changes in laws). Researchers have not yet reached a consensus on how much of an effect the National Firearms Agreement had.
Not sure what's debatable here. How can there be gun violence in Australia if there are no guns? If they failed to collect them all, then one could argue that that part's unfinished.

Not sure what's debatable here. How can there be gun violence in Australia if there are no guns? If they failed to collect them all, then one could argue that that part's unfinished.
Says the guy who’s always preaching pragmatism.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT