ADVERTISEMENT

American exceptionalism.

T.M.P.

Hall of Famer
Jul 2, 2014
Resulted in two things - Jazz and Cajun Food. Both invented by black people..

Ha ha ..

Edit: removed Peanut Butter, which as Goat pointed out was Canadian.

Last edited:
Resulted in three things - Jazz, Cajun Food and Peanut Butter. All invented by black people..

Ha ha ..

Cajuns is white folks...lilly white flag waving froggers, to be exact, but still white.I bet you meant creole.

I certainly would like to give a shout out to the New Guineas for the plane I just stepped of, the Ecuadorians for the interwebs I'm on, and the Italians for the lightbulb on in my room. Holla'

Cajuns is white folks...lilly white flag waving froggers, to be exact, but still white.I bet you meant creole.

I certainly would like to give a shout out to the New Guineas for the plane I just stepped of, the Ecuadorians for the interwebs I'm on, and the Italians for the lightbulb on in my room. Holla'
Yea but they stole the food from the Creole..... Give some the credit for the plane for the pioneers of flight. the French. Give some credit to internet to the person who's math was used, he was German. Give credit to the English for the light bulb. None of those things were solely American inventions. The only solely American inventions are Cajun Food, Jazz and Peanut Butter. And they were all invented by blacks.

Yea but they stole the food from the Creole..... Give some the credit for the plane for the pioneers of flight. the French. Give some credit to internet to the person who's math was used, he was German. Give credit to the English for the light bulb. None of those things were solely American inventions. The only solely American inventions are Cajun Food, Jazz and Peanut Butter. And they were all invented by blacks.

Never been to Ohio, France.

I mean, if we get credit for African inventions on American soil, surely we dont have to concede European inventions on American soil. We are talking culture and not geographical biological relatedness, no?

How about bi-focals and the discovery of electricity? Or nukes? Agent orange? Facebook? Surely we get facebook...unless there were Inuit villages with tin cans and strings strung from igloo to igloo for the sole purpose of annoying your neighbors with the size of the baby seal you just clubbed.

Never been to Ohio, France.

I mean, if we get credit for African inventions on American soil, surely we dont have to concede European inventions on American soil. We are talking culture and not geographical biological relatedness, no?

How about bi-focals and the discovery of electricity? Or nukes? Agent orange? Facebook? Surely we get facebook...unless there were Inuit villages with tin cans and strings strung from igloo to igloo for the sole purpose of annoying your neighbors with the size of the baby seal you just clubbed.

Not my theory. I read it somewhere. I starting to agree with it.

French
Egyptians
Einstein
Germans

Okay we get social media .. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Reactions: FL33
You might want to read David McCullough's book on the Wright Brothers.

you should read what the rest of this sentence says ...

The device was based on an invention of French aeronautical pioneer ...

lol .... I like this topic ....

America has only been around for a few centuries. Going to be hard to find anything that's actually truly American.

Cajun food owes a debt to the French.
Jazz owes a debt to the Africans.
Peanut Butter was actually Canadian. Carver did a lot of stuff with peanuts, but he didn't actually invent peanut butter.

America has only been around for a few centuries. Going to be hard to find anything that's actually truly American.

Cajun food owes a debt to the French.
Jazz owes a debt to the Africans.
Peanut Butter was actually Canadian. Carver did a lot of stuff with peanuts, but he didn't actually invent peanut butter.

Tiff added peanut butter, I just ha'd her to her face. If Jazz was invented by Africans, then there is no such thing as an American. Or only white British ones. Get me?

I read this somewhere, except the peanut butter thing, whcih was used in argument by Tiff and I added it. The reason that Cajun food is different and new - onion, celery, bell pepper. I know nit picky, but it's just like using the II instead of I to start a measure in Jazz.

Tiff added peanut butter, I just ha'd her to her face. If Jazz was invented by Africans, then there is no such thing as an American. Or only white British ones. Get me?

I read this somewhere, except the peanut butter thing, whcih was used in argument by Tiff and I added it. The reason that Cajun food is different and new - onion, celery, bell pepper. I know nit picky, but it's just like using the II instead of I to start a measure in Jazz.
Yes, the Cajuns replaced carrots with bell pepper. I presume because carrots wouldn't grow properly in Acadia.

As for the black=American problem, I can avoid that. What I meant by "Jazz owes a debt to Africans" is that the roots of Jazz include influences from pre-slavery African culture. Obviously, the experience of slavery and its aftermath played a huge role in black culture, but there were important seeds that came over with the slaves on the ships.

I guess what I'm saying is that America, in all its forms, is a relatively recent product, made up of many different parts that can be traced around the world. From a cultural standpoint, I don't think there is such a thing as "American Exceptionalism." We're a mutt culture.

Yes, the Cajuns replaced carrots with bell pepper. I presume because carrots wouldn't grow properly in Acadia.

As for the black=American problem, I can avoid that. What I meant by "Jazz owes a debt to Africans" is that the roots of Jazz include influences from pre-slavery African culture. Obviously, the experience of slavery and its aftermath played a huge role in black culture, but there were important seeds that came over with the slaves on the ships.

I guess what I'm saying is that America, in all its forms, is a relatively recent product, made up of many different parts that can be traced around the world. From a cultural standpoint, I don't think there is such a thing as "American Exceptionalism." We're a mutt culture.
Agree with all that .. and Jazz owes a lot to european classical too, though it broke the rules of music it also used the same rules to break the rules. Like I said I read this somewhere and it always started debates if mentioned. Cajun food owes as much to black spices, as it does French too ..

I know FL was just posting to post, but there are people who believe we invented flight, and the light bulb, and discovered electricity, etc etc etc ... it's fun telling them that wasn't entirely true.

Agree with all that .. and Jazz owes a lot to european classical too, though it broke the rules of music it also used the same rules to break the rules. Like I said I read this somewhere and it always started debates if mentioned. Cajun food owes as much to black spices, as it does French too ..

I know FL was just posting to post, but there are people who believe we invented flight, and the light bulb, and discovered electricity, etc etc etc ... it's fun telling them that wasn't entirely true.
I'm with you on all that. I believe Cajun food also has Native American influences, too.

And I know what you mean by "using the rules to break the rules." One of the reasons I'm such a big fan of Osibisa is that they were all classically trained, and when they started experimenting, they went in with a plan. They knew, basically, how what they were doing would sound in white ears ahead of time.

Please elaborate on how the French deserve credit for the plane. You're right, it is fun telling people what they believe is wrong...

You're such an idiot.

Reactions: C-$
I have, that's why I want to see your reply. Simple question, won't take an elaborate answer.

Troll better.
I'm trollin just fine d!ckhead, or your dumb ass wouldn't have replied twice.

If you would have read even with the smallest amount of comprehension and done even the smallest amount of research, you would understand that parts of the Wright's plane were based in older designs, some parts were never made through others failures. If you could actually put two thoughts together you would realize that I didn't give the French credit for the plane, even though they did more work towards man's flight than the brothers. I instead did not give the Wright Brother's sole credit because only a nationalistic asshole would disregard all the work others did before them..

Is this like the americans freeing Prague again?

Last edited:
I'm trollin just fine dickhead, or your dumbass wouldn't have replied twice.

If you would have read even with the smallest amount of comprehension and done even the smallest amount of research, you would understand that parts of the Wright's plane were based in older designs, some parts were never made through others failures. If you could actually put two thoughts together you would realize that I didn't give the French credit for the plane, even though they did more work towards man's flight than the brothers. I instead did not give the Wright Brother's sole credit because only a nationalistic asshole would disregard all the work others did before them..

Is this like the americans freeing Prague again?
"[We are] dwarfs perched on the shoulders of giants...[W]e see more and farther than our predecessors, not because we have keener vision or greater height, but because we are lifted up and borne aloft on their gigantic stature."
-John of Salisbury

Reactions: T.M.P.
But the French's designs were based on earlier designs of others, why didn't you give them credit?

Why you gotta be so but hurt every time I ask a question. I'm giving you a chance to do the world a solid & enlighten me. You should be grateful.

But the French's designs were based on earlier designs of others, why didn't you give them credit?

Seriously? I didn't give anyone sole credit dumbass, and it was never brought up.I'm not going to continue explaining what most children (mine not yours) would readily understand while you make attempts at run around arguments. You argue like a b!tch .. lol ...

Last edited:
Btw Dumont was Brazilian.

I argue just fine, which is why your dumbass has responded twice.

What about basketball? It didn't really evolve from another sport. Of course, Naismith was Canadian, but the sport originated here.

Read the book. The French viewed themselves as mere children compared to the brothers and their accomplishments when they performed their demonstration in France. Until then, it was little more than theory. No one had ever built and successfully flown a plane. They were amazing engineers, craftsmen, and daredevils all wrapped up into one. They were amazing.

What about basketball? It didn't really evolve from another sport. Of course, Naismith was Canadian, but the sport originated here.

I didn't know he was Canadian. Hmmm, I don't know .. does he count?

Read the book. The French viewed themselves as mere children compared to the brothers and their accomplishments when they performed their demonstration in France. Until then, it was little more than theory. No one had ever built and successfully flown a plane. They were amazing engineers, craftsmen, and daredevils all wrapped up into one. They were amazing.

Okay, but that still doesn't mean they designed their plane out of thin air.they had all the research available from previous flight pioneers. They had technology that was made by others first. They had seen the mistakes. They advanced the technology, they made it take flight, they didn't invent or create it. As much as Edison advanced and made Swan's lightbulb useable, he still didn't invent it and it is not a purely American Invention. Which is the premise, not, who was best.

And he's Southern. Southern culture is still the definitive American Culture. Art, music, literature, the South dominated.
I'd add David McCullough as his northern counterpart. I'm not too sure about the definitiveness (definitiveness? Sure. Why not) of your assertion regarding the south. Ellis Island? Jazz and Blues might have been born in the south, but they grew up and came of age in the north. The last great hurrah in painting came to fruition in NY. There's more balance than you're acknowledging.

but they grew up and came of age in the north
You mean they became watered down for white ears as they became monetized by white producers? Right? I'm sure that's what you meant to say. unless Muddy putting down his guitar and having his hair done in a pompadour and having the players remove a majority of blues notes is grown up, of course. vbg

Okay, but that still doesn't mean they designed their plane out of thin air.they had all the research available from previous flight pioneers. They had technology that was made by others first. They had seen the mistakes. They advanced the technology, they made it take flight, they didn't invent or create it. As much as Edison advanced and made Swan's lightbulb useable, he still didn't invent it and it is not a purely American Invention. Which is the premise, not, who was best.
Technology in theory means shite if you can't bring it to life. We could parse just about anything and nitpick elements that were drawn in from other sources. To quote Picasso "every act of creation is first an act of destruction".

You mean they became watered down for white ears as they became monetized by white producers? Right? I'm sure that's what you meant to say. unless Muddy putting down his guitar and having his hair done in a pompadour and having the players remove a majority of blues notes is grown up, of course. vbg
Speaking more to the Jazz side of that than blues, but you can't tell me that Blues didn't grow in Chicago (and St Louis). But, point taken.

I'd add David McCullough as his northern counterpart. I'm not too sure about the definitiveness (definitiveness? Sure. Why not) of your assertion regarding the south. Ellis Island? Jazz and Blues might have been born in the south, but they grew up and came of age in the north. The last great hurrah in painting came to fruition in NY. There's more balance than you're acknowledging.
It's not my theory either. Its' Club Jockey's, unless he got it from someone else.. I argued with him once just with the New England element in Literature in mind. I thought he was nuts. I'm also almost sure that more great painters are from the north.

fwiw - He won. The amount of culturally influential artists in our history from the south outweighs the amount from the north, This is not to say the North has none, it's just to say the south has more. There's a lot of authors, painters, poets that I didn't realize were southern. I'm too lazy to make a list. lol ..

Last edited:
Speaking more to the Jazz side of that than blues, but you can't tell me that Blues didn't grow in Chicago (and St Louis). But, point taken.

Blues wandered up the Mississppi from the Delta with stops along the way to Chicago and each major stop is said to have it's own sound. Delta Blues, St. Louis Blues, Kansas City Blues, etc.

Myself, I'm a jazz came from blues person.

Technology in theory means shite if you can't bring it to life. We could parse just about anything and nitpick elements that were drawn in from other sources. To quote Picasso "every act of creation is first an act of destruction".
It's not nit picking at all. The premise is that the only purely american inventions, are Jazz and Cajun Food. You have not, by admitting that the french had something to do with the creation of airplanes disproved that. Did they have anything to do with the invention of airplanes. Did any others? Did the Wright brother make a completely new technology or function or procedure? Or did they advance pre-existing technology.

Blues wandered up the Mississppi from the Delta with stops along the way to Chicago and each major stop is said to have it's own sound. Delta Blues, St. Louis Blues, Kansas City Blues, etc.

Myself, I'm a jazz came from blues person.
Please stfu .. I don;t care what you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT