ADVERTISEMENT

"American Exceptionalism" and the uniquely American phenomenon of mass shootings

This is going to be a difficult conversation to have. The points in that article are worthy of discussion, but it's going to be hard to discuss them without many of us worry about giving credence to the shooter's manifesto, something that feels wrong on a gut level. I heard on ESPN radio while driving yesterday the comment that they were not even going to mention the shooter's name, because they didn't want to give him the public recognition he felt he deserved. I get that. It feels right. But at the same time, he didn't do this for no reason, and I'm not sure we are doing our duty if we don't take the time to discover his motivations and ask ourselves if there are faults in society that helped plant the seed for those motivations, faults that we might be able to do something about.

Very interesting read. It nails everything in my opinion. We do have a problem with guns, but perhaps a bigger problem with our society and culture. I was not surprised to see that 81% of HS kids think they'll be in a great paying job by age 25. And a third think they'll get their doctorate?? Lol. Sad as it is, I've seen a family member(in law) make a claim like that. "Oh, I'll be making 100k straight out of college". Yeah, the kid is currently jobless and living at home. The sense of entitlement that today's youth has is unhealthy and getting worse.

"It’s the social strains of American life — the false promise of the American dream, which guarantees a level of success that can’t always be achieved through hard work and sheer willpower; the devotion to individualism and the desire for fame or notoriety."
This is not the American Dream. The American Dream is not about any kind of guarantees except for one. You have the ability to try. There has never been a promise for an outcome. If someone believes the American Dream is about a guarantee then no wonder they are upset. They feel they've been lied to. If this shooter scum shot three innocent people because he felt he deserved or was guaranteed a career then it is not the American Dream's fault. It is his misconception of what it really is. He was lied to alright. But it wasn't about the true American Dream. In a world where most don't even get to chase their dreams we should be thankful for at least having the right to try. Will we succeed? Who knows? But at least we can give it a shot.

That is an interesting article

I agree with the general theme that we are becoming more self-centered, self-referential and basing our metrics of a successful life on shellfish things like wealth and fame. Nihilism is on the rise. The moral compass is becoming more individualized and relative. The evidence supporting this is overwhelming. The reasons for this are many and varied.

I also agree that the numbers of firearms in the hands of the general public is a problem. It makes no difference if the vast majority of the gun owners are sane, responsible, and safe. The issue is those few who are crazy and react unpredictably to events that most all of us take in stride. I don't know how we sensibly reduce the numbers of firearms in the country, but we need to think about that. I've made one suggestion about repealing the immunity laws for manufacturers and sellers, strangely, none of the gun control advocates ever mention this as a policy.

I am not convinced of the cause and effect of being disappointed with our lot in life and then going on a shooting spree. I think an equally sound conclusion is that people who can't cope with life's challenges might do a number of different things with no pattern. Thinking of guys like Holmes, Hassan, Roof, Malvo, John Muhammad, or Lanza doesn't readily lend itself to that kind of conclusion. About all you can conclude about mass shooter commonalities is that they are male.

Finally, I very strongly disagree agree with the point that our emphasis on individualism and sense of destiny is American exceptionalism. He isn't even close. But is for another thread.

Last edited:
This is going to be a difficult conversation to have. The points in that article are worthy of discussion, but it's going to be hard to discuss them without many of us worry about giving credence to the shooter's manifesto, something that feels wrong on a gut level. I heard on ESPN radio while driving yesterday the comment that they were not even going to mention the shooter's name, because they didn't want to give him the public recognition he felt he deserved. I get that. It feels right. But at the same time, he didn't do this for no reason, and I'm not sure we are doing our duty if we don't take the time to discover his motivations and ask ourselves if there are faults in society that helped plant the seed for those motivations, faults that we might be able to do something about.

By why must be publicize his reasoning?

"It’s the social strains of American life — the false promise of the American dream, which guarantees a level of success that can’t always be achieved through hard work and sheer willpower; the devotion to individualism and the desire for fame or notoriety."
This is not the American Dream. The American Dream is not about any kind of guarantees except for one. You have the ability to try. There has never been a promise for an outcome. If someone believes the American Dream is about a guarantee then no wonder they are upset. They feel they've been lied to. If this shooter scum shot three innocent people because he felt he deserved or was guaranteed a career then it is not the American Dream's fault. It is his misconception of what it really is. He was lied to alright. But it wasn't about the true American Dream. In a world where most don't even get to chase their dreams we should be thankful for at least having the right to try. Will we succeed? Who knows? But at least we can give it a shot.

I agree with the Pastor on this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT