ADVERTISEMENT

After decades, I finally bought a little red convertible

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
Mini Cooper S turbo, stock photo:

CAD00MNC101A021001.jpg

We sat in some Miatas, but my 6'0" frame just doesnt fit with the top down, or at all on the passenger side. Minis have way way more room, strangely. My 6'4" son fits.

There was very low inventory everywhere. I jumped on a 2021 with 5,000 miles. I didn't really expect to buy used, but it was so clean and new inventory was nonexistent. Loaded with options such as full stiched leather seats.

The dealership in downtown Miami was incredible. It was a place specializing in extremely slightly used cars, many of them supercars: McLarens, Bugattis, Bentleys, Ferraris, etc. Row after row after row. I don't know if Miami millionaires all buy new cars and a month later decide to buy something else and get rid of it, or what. I have never seem such a wide assortment of true supercars anywhere. The mini was not in their normal lineup but they told us who traded it in, and he is a failrly famous artist who gets new cars from them regularly. He hand-painted a Mini that they had on display that was not for sale.

Congrats. You must be a middle aged man. No one else likes convertibles any longer.

I always wanted one as well, and in 2017 I bought a new 124 Spider Abarth. The only people who like it are 5th grade boys and 50 year old men. It's strictly a fair weather car and if I can't drive top down, I don't drive it. I've had it 4 years now and has fewer to 20K miles on it.

Mine:

29365624_10216143212443784_8626927256989597696_n.jpg

My 28 year old daughter has a Fiat Spider Abarth and loves it.

Yes, a lot of manufacturers have dropped converibles. Audi used to have convertibles in the A3, A4, A5, and A7 lines but dropped all but the A5. We looked for one of those, but they are 60K and scarce.

Even BMW isn't making many rag tops.

Jaguar makes an awesome-looking 2-door rag top but it is in the 80K range, and as far as I know, Jaguars are still not a particularly trouble-free make.

Fun to drive here in south FL, 12 months a year. It was 60 the other night though and we had to used the heated seats!

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Congrats. You must be a middle aged man. No one else likes convertibles any longer.

I always wanted one as well, and in 2017 I bought a new 124 Spider Abarth. The only people who like it are 5th grade boys and 50 year old men. It's strictly a fair weather car and if I can't drive top down, I don't drive it. I've had it 4 years now and has fewer to 20K miles on it.

Mine:

My wife wants a convertible but we still need to haul around two elementary aged boys. Our compromise was a soft top Bronco.
cactus-gray-badlands-sasquatch-bronco-4-door-doors-off-top-down-3-jpg.138522

Mine:

I'm about 5 years out from looking for a BMW M2 (used and not hooned). Can't justify the new price tag and dealer mark up on it (looking at near 70k).

I'm intrigued by the new VW Golf R but even they are creeping up to 43k and the dealers are going to blow that up even further.

Most importantly question for you and Shooter......manual right?

I'm about 5 years out from looking for a BMW M2 (used and not hooned). Can't justify the new price tag and dealer mark up on it (looking at near 70k).

I'm intrigued by the new VW Golf R but even they are creeping up to 43k and the dealers are going to blow that up even further.

Most importantly question for you and Shooter......manual right?

I can't speak for shooter, but mine's a 6 speed manual. That was a must and I had to order my car from a Alfa dealer in Michigan to get what I wanted. We did it all via Internet and Fedex. They trucked the car to to my house. I'd never even seen one of these in person before I bought it, let alone driven one. I bought it in December 2017, and drove it exactly twice before covering it and garaging it until Spring.

You misspelled Z4.

2019-bmw-z4-m40i.jpg

I'll own a 718 Boxster one day. Not new, but under 20K miles. It'll happen once I retire and move to a warmer climate, when I won't need a Winter car.
You're killing me here.

You misspelled Z4.

2019-bmw-z4-m40i.jpg

I'll own a 718 Boxster one day. Not new, but under 20K miles. It'll happen once I retire and move to a warmer climate, when I won't need a Winter car.
One more thing.......you hop in the W12 yet?

My wife wants a convertible but we still need to haul around two elementary aged boys. Our compromise was a soft top Bronco.
cactus-gray-badlands-sasquatch-bronco-4-door-doors-off-top-down-3-jpg.138522

CAD00MNC101A021001.jpg

We sat in some Miatas, but my 6'0" frame just doesnt fit with the top down, or at all on the passenger side. Minis have way way more room, strangely. My 6'4" son fits.

There was very low inventory everywhere. I jumped on a 2021 with 5,000 miles. I didn't really expect to buy used, but it was so clean and new inventory was nonexistent. Loaded with options such as full stiched leather seats.

The dealership in downtown Miami was incredible. It was a place specializing in extremely slightly used cars, many of them supercars: McLarens, Bugattis, Bentleys, Ferraris, etc. Row after row after row. I don't know if Miami millionaires all buy new cars and a month later decide to buy something else and get rid of it, or what. I have never seem such a wide assortment of true supercars anywhere. The mini was not in their normal lineup but they told us who traded it in, and he is a failrly famous artist who gets new cars from them regularly. He hand-painted a Mini that they had on display that was not for sale.
I don't know how to get a picture of our 1997 Mercury Villager Van. But I do own one.

That's the sole drawback. I wanted a manual, my wife was OK either way, but the supply was so low we either had to do an automatic or a manual in a color we didn't like. That was one of the appeals of the Miata, we could have gotten a manual. But the interior is just too small.

The Mini in "sport mode" is at least more fun than any automatic I have driven, maybe the influence of BMW, since they aligned with Mini. In "economy mode" it never gets any RPMs and feels like a Camry or something.

Last edited:
Man - all you guys and your high-end convertibles. Earlier this year I bought a 2021 Subaru Outback Premium.

I'm nothing if not practical.
Besides my convertible I have a 2003 Honda Pilot with 372,000 miles and a 2005 Honda CRV with 175,000 miles. I have paid my dues with regards to practicality and "making do".

3 kids went from grade school through college with those 2 cars!

CAD00MNC101A021001.jpg

Sorry to hear about your small dick syndrome.

Reactions: sluggo69

Mine:

Who doesn’t like convertibles? Nothing better!

Reactions: outside shooter
Besides my convertible I have a 2003 Honda Pilot with 372,000 miles and a 2005 Honda CRV with 175,000 miles. I have paid my dues with regards to practicality and "making do".

3 kids went from grade school through college with those 2 cars!
I replaced a 2012 Subaru Outback with my current one. To be honest, I wanted to hold onto that car until the wheels fell off. I was a little over 225,000 miles and a local mechanic said he thought he could keep it on the road well over 300,000 miles. I was all in until I made my second trip to him within a two-month timeframe.

The risk/rewards just didn't add up. My kids play sports against some pretty rural high schools and I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no cell service on the way home from one of those random middle-of-nowhere-games. It sucks having payments again, but piece of mind is factored into those payments...

Reactions: larsIU
I am expecting at some point to have to replace the 19 year old Honda Pilot with 372K miles but it is now my every day driver again, my commute is short (6 miles each way), and I am intrigued as to how long it will run. 400K? 500K, which might last until I retire?

It looks a little like a beater, sitting in the faculty parking lot, but keeping up with the Joneses has never been my thing. I am generally a cheap SOB, from all of the years of saving for college tuitons for my 3 kids, and they are all graduates with no loan debt. But that chunck of salary previously going to tuition savings is now furiously going to retirement savings, so I am still a cheap bastard except for the convertible splurge. For example, we usually pick the restaurant we go to based on the quality of the coupon that we hold. And I have self-repaired my 20 year old Maytag washer so many times that I can disassemble it in my sleep. same for the fridge and its damn finicky icemaker.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I replaced a 2012 Subaru Outback with my current one. To be honest, I wanted to hold onto that car until the wheels fell off. I was a little over 225,000 miles and a local mechanic said he thought he could keep it on the road well over 300,000 miles. I was all in until I made my second trip to him within a two-month timeframe.

The risk/rewards just didn't add up. My kids play sports against some pretty rural high schools and I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no cell service on the way home from one of those random middle-of-nowhere-games. It sucks having payments again, but piece of mind is factored into those payments...
I've had 2 GM Envoys and got over 225,000 miles on both. Both were running well when I sold them, but the maintenance was starting to add up. I sold the one to my mechanic.

Those were great vehicles, so of course, they quit making them.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
On the farm growing up we had a doorless 1950s Willys Jeep.

Dimmer switch on the floor on the left, starter on the floor on the right, of course manual transmission, indestructable.

It wasn't licensed to drive on the road as we used it on the farm only, but I would love to have that again.

Reactions: Warison and larsIU

CAD00MNC101A021001.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a Lada

You're a woman - convertibles are either for women or to get women.
Have to disagree with you here Dan. I’ve owned a convertible of some sort since 1990. Currently have a 2015 Mustang GT. I love driving around with the top down. Especially on warm summer nights.

Reactions: DANC
Have to disagree with you here Dan. I’ve owned a convertible of some sort since 1990. Currently have a 2015 Mustang GT. I love driving around with the top down. Especially on warm summer nights.
I know there are some guys who like them. I was being facetious. But I've never enjoyed driving or riding in one - too much wind.

We had a French foreign exchange student living with us. One of her HS friends had a convertible She said she felt like an "American", riding around in a convertible - I guess it's something they think is very American.

They do attract the chicks, though!

Reactions: Walt542
In Indiana a convertible may not make as much sense in that it is usable, top down, for at most 6 months. But in south Florida it is usable 12 months, maybe minus a week or two in January or February. It's a hell of a lot of fun for pretty much all non-Interstate driving.

I know there are some guys who like them. I was being facetious. But I've never enjoyed driving or riding in one - too much wind.

We had a French foreign exchange student living with us. One of her HS friends had a convertible She said she felt like an "American", riding around in a convertible - I guess it's something they think is very American.

They do attract the chicks, though!

And women like the wind? No, they don't. Women might like the idea of convertibles, but in practice thy really don't.

As a convertible owner for four years I can unequivocally say that the main market for convertibles is middle-aged men. If you look at convertibles on the road with the top actually down...men 10 to 1. Above I noted that the only people who are interested in my car are 5th grade boys and 50 year old men. I was not kidding. Women give no shits at all.

And women like the wind? No, they don't. Women might like the idea of convertibles, but in practice thy really don't.

As a convertible owner for four years I can unequivocally say that the main market for convertibles is middle-aged men. If you look at convertibles on the road with the top actually down...men 10 to 1. Above I noted that the only people who are interested in my car are 5th grade boys and 50 year old men. I was not kidding. Women give no shits at all.
That's not at all the demographics of convertible drivers in south Florida.

More women than men here drive convertibles.
Pickups and jeeps are more common in men than women,

Volkswagon beetle convertibles (which are no longer made) are 100:0 women, it seems.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons for discontinuing the new Beetle was that they accidently designed it to be too cute and it end up being the most gender-specific car model in the HISTORY of the automotive industry. Men making purchasing decisions were not buying them, ever.

After reading that, every time I see a Beetle on the road I tell my wife that there must be a woman driving it. I think my success in that prediction is spotless.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT