ADVERTISEMENT

After decades, I finally bought a little red convertible

That's not at all the demographics of convertible drivers in south Florida.

Most women than men here drive convertibles.
Pickups and jeeps are more common in men than women,

Volkswagon beetle convertibles (which are no longer made) are 100:0 women, it seems.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons for discontinuing the new Beetle was that they accidently designed it to be too cute and it end up being the most gender-specific car model in the HISTORY of the automotive industry. Men making purchasing decisions were not buying them, ever.

After reading that, every time I see a Beetle on the road I tell my wife that there must be a woman driving it. I think my success in that prediction is spotless.

Well, yeah if you're isolating a Beetle. No self respecting guy would drive a Beetle, convertible or otherwise.

Well, yeah if you're isolating a Beetle. No self respecting guy would drive a Beetle, convertible or otherwise.
I isolated Beetles as the 99.9% Female to 0.1% male driver outlier.

But convertibles overall, in south Florida, are certainly not a male-dominated choice.

There might be a few makes that are highly male driver-focused, such as Camaros and Mustangs, maybe Porches on the high end, but the rest--- Miatas, Minis, Audis, BMWs--- are more balanced or (in my experience) maybe leaning at little towards female.

In my case, this Mini was something the wife pushed for, though I think it's a blast. I still drive a 2003 Honda Pilot day-to-day.

And women like the wind? No, they don't. Women might like the idea of convertibles, but in practice thy really don't.

As a convertible owner for four years I can unequivocally say that the main market for convertibles is middle-aged men. If you look at convertibles on the road with the top actually down...men 10 to 1. Above I noted that the only people who are interested in my car are 5th grade boys and 50 year old men. I was not kidding. Women give no shits at all.
I said the only ones who like them are women and men who hope to get women. That would include middle-aged men......

I said the only ones who like them are women and men who hope to get women. That would include middle-aged men......

Well, you're wrong about the women. Most don't like convertibles. Especially older women, and by older I mean over 30. Too hot, too cold, too windy. Whatever. It's quite rare to see women driving top down around here. You might see them driving something like a BMW convertible, but the top is never down. Like I said, if the top is down I'd say 10 to 1 on an older guy driving.

Chick don't dig droptops these days. If they did, more would be made.

It's quite rare to see women driving top down around here.
Where are you? Not south Florida, I gather. And nowhere in driving distance of the beach. When we head to the beach on weekends, all of the convertibles, dune buggies, Polaris or other three wheelers, and doors-off Wrangler jeeps are out there, driven in equal parts by grandmas, grandpas, Moms, Dads, and lucky teens who got handed the keys. Everyone puts the top up on the interstate, but Route 1 / A1A is another story. Too cold? Its 80.

Reactions: largemouth
Where are you? Not south Florida, I gather. And nowhere in driving distance of the beach. When we head to the beach on weekends, all of the convertibles, dune buggies, Polaris or other three wheelers, and doors-off Wrangler jeeps are out there, driven in equal parts by grandmas, grandpas, Moms, Dads, and lucky teens who got handed the keys. Everyone puts the top up on the interstate, but Route 1 / A1A is another story. Too cold? Its 80.

I'm in Indiana. Convertible weather is basically April thru October. And women don't participate.

I can see where a beach location might be different.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons for discontinuing the new Beetle was that they accidently designed it to be too cute and it end up being the most gender-specific car model in the HISTORY of the automotive industry. Men making purchasing decisions were not buying them, ever.

They actually had a dashboard flower vase built in. No I am not kidding.

flowerpower.jpg

They actually had a dashboard flower vase built in. No I am not kidding.

flowerpower.jpg

My wife once had a Turbo S Beetle. Every once in awhile I had to drive it. With the Turbo and the 6 speed manual it was actually sort of fun to drive, but I felt like I needed to put a sign on the window explaining that it was the wife's car. It's one of the few cars that really was a "chick car."

Reactions: outside shooter
I'm in Indiana. Convertible weather is basically April thru October. And women don't participate.

I can see where a beach location might be different.
I have to agree with you here. I’ve driven a convertible for 40 years and never had a chick say she wanted a ride in it. My wife puts up with it but seldom puts the top down on her own. I really do enjoy riding around in the wind though.

Crosley was one of the first small cars. They were made in Indiana.
4193.jpg
My father-in-law had a Crosley. Talked about it all the time.

He bought my wife and her sister an Anglia when they were in HS for $100.

My first car was a Renault Dolphine, which my dad bought for $100. Could never get parts for it and it needed a cylanoid. I'd charge it during the day at my uncle's shop in town and then drive it home in the country and hope it had enough charge to make it into town the next day. I could start it using a crank or using a large screw driver to jump the cylanoid.

Those kind of cars were fun to drive.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT