ADVERTISEMENT

Admins

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
The problem with this program is what is has been the last twenty years. It begins up top. Obviously its been talked about. I am hard on woodson but he is what he is and maybe I should not expect more from him. Dolson hired him not woodsons fault.. I guess maybe he will work out but the admins have simply never have been interested in hiring a big time guy after sampson. They have the money clearly from boosters money is not the issue. They paid off archie. And no I do not believe we could not get a big time coach
The admins simply refuse to touch a big name coach that isnt 100% pure as the driven snow which there are none.

The problem with this program is what is has been the last twenty years. It begins up top. Obviously its been talked about. I am hard on woodson but he is what he is and maybe I should not expect more from him. Dolson hired him not woodsons fault.. I guess maybe he will work out but the admins have simply never have been interested in hiring a big time guy after sampson. They have the money clearly from boosters money is not the issue. They paid off archie. And no I do not believe we could not get a big time coach
The admins simply refuse to touch a big name coach that isnt 100% pure as the driven snow which there are none.
No so sure a "big name" would even be interested in us. We have not been relevant in years and recruiting kids to come is difficult because we are a tired, dated brand name.

Reactions: TomEric4756
No so sure a "big name" would even be interested in us. We have not been relevant in years and recruiting kids to come is difficult because we are a tired, dated brand name.
With the money our boosters have if we could throw it around i think you would be surprised. That being said i really dont think crean left the program in a bad spot. He left flawed players but was one year removed from a title. The biggest mistake was hiring a guuy with a defense that took four years to learn. It basically became a total rebuild when not necessary. I still think the archie hire damaged this program more than any hire we have made. The program was not in shambles when crean left but archie left it in shambles.

That may have been true under McRobbie, he could have cared less about sports and robbed from them to get things for the academic side. This may please you or it may not, but the new President, who in my opinion was a horrible hire, is very sports friendly. As a basketball fan I like that, but otherwise I don't. There is definitely not a top down conspiracy to castrate IU athletics, it's in fact very much the opposite, but I'm not sure it's due to like a Margorie Taylor Greene level of not being qualified to be a university President. If your just concerned about the commitment to sports programs, there is nothing to worry about. If you're an alum and you are concerned about the general health of the university, there's lots to be concerned about with her. But i can assure you, there is no conspiracy against the athletics department with this one

That may have been true under McRobbie, he could have cared less about sports and robbed from them to get things for the academic side. This may please you or it may not, but the new President, who in my opinion was a horrible hire, is very sports friendly. As a basketball fan I like that, but otherwise I don't. There is definitely not a top down conspiracy to castrate IU athletics, it's in fact very much the opposite, but I'm not sure it's due to like a Margorie Taylor Greene level of not being qualified to be a university President. If your just concerned about the commitment to sports programs, there is nothing to worry about. If you're an alum and you are concerned about the general health of the university, there's lots to be concerned about with her. But i can assure you, there is no conspiracy against the athletics department with this one
What is your inside info?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
One of my favorite posters in another thread mentioned that he wasn’t posting much here anymore because it’s like Groundhog Day, and he couldn’t think of much to add that was new.

That got me thinking.

maybe we need to reopen a few threads talking about the IU admin, and coaching speculation.

One from the Davis era, one from the Sampson era and one from the Crean era?

EDIT: “I got you babe “ just started playing on my clock radio. How weird is that?

Look at how mega $$$ are already transforming Texas A&M football. Enough $$$ and the big name coaches and athletes will come

This is generalizing, but when you look at well run programs there are usually three things in place.

1. strong University president
2. shrewd AD
3. proven head coach

Whitten is strong. Finally. IU has had a void in this role for about two decades now. Having a good AD may actually be the most important piece for obvious reasons. And when the top two pieces are in place, usually good coaching follows.

McRobbie was terrible for both sports and academics.

Reactions: indy1203
Give us some details as to why you think Whitten was a bad hire.

IU is beginning to wear the label..."The place where coaches go to fail". Tell me why I am wrong...I would prefer to be.

I really think IU is fearful of creating another Bobby Knight. He was bigger than life and his personality, at times, overshadowed the university. IU was his vehicle to the pinnacle of college basketball. I think the IU administration is somewhat paranoid about its status as an academic institution versus a basketball school. Is it possible that many in the IU administration are content that the basketball program is in its current state?

I really think IU is fearful of creating another Bobby Knight. He was bigger than life and his personality, at times, overshadowed the university. IU was his vehicle to the pinnacle of college basketball. I think the IU administration is somewhat paranoid about its status as an academic institution versus a basketball school. Is it possible that many in the IU administration are content that the basketball program is in its current state?
The academic rankings have fallen for IU in the same trend line IUBB has in basketball. A good athletic program is free marketing for a school. Michigan, Virginia, and Stanford have no problem being very good academic and athletically strong schools.

Maybe IU is too squeaky clean? Coaches want to win, but just maybe some don't see IU as a place where that's possible. In modern college athletics there are games to be played, and not always on the court. We all watched our own administration turn in their coach for trivial stuff. Perhaps that's not the sort of environment that coaches feel is conducive to building a championship program. It's possible that our own virtuous attitude works against us.

I wouldn't know. Just tossing that out there.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
No so sure a "big name" would even be interested in us.

Big names are NOT interested in IU. Big names want to go where the athletics department is actually serious about winning. IU is seen as a backwoods, bumbling attempt at a B1G athletics program, one which won't hesitate to throw its coach under the bus for minor infractions that everyone commits. It's embarrassing. At best, IU is now a stepping stone for an up-and-coming coach to launch to a real program that cares about winning and has national championship aspirations.

Big names are NOT interested in IU. Big names want to go where the athletics department is actually serious about winning. IU is seen as a backwoods, bumbling attempt at a B1G athletics program, one which won't hesitate to throw its coach under the bus for minor infractions that everyone commits. It's embarrassing. At best, IU is now a stepping stone for an up-and-coming coach to launch to a real program that cares about winning and has national championship aspirations.
Stepping stone lol the only stone Archie stepped on was the stone that lead him off the cliff. Not even sure if we are that anymore.

The academic rankings have fallen for IU in the same trend line IUBB has in basketball. A good athletic program is free marketing for a school. Michigan, Virginia, and Stanford have no problem being very good academic and athletically strong schools.
Can you send a letter the the Administration? They might listen to you.

Lol

I haven't posted on here forever but you guys need to get real we haven't been relevant since Knight got fired and we haven't dominated the big ten year in and year out since Knight got fired. You need to accept what we are a middle of the big ten team. We threw tons of money at BS and he didn't want the job I don't think this is a destination job anymore. I think if we get behind Woody and the team Woody can turn things around. I don't think this is on Woody he's not out there missing layups and wide open 3 point shots. He has them playing great defense which you guys have been bitching about since Knight. It's a guards game and our guards just are not that good. Until we have a really good consistent point guard and guys that can hit wide open 3's we are going to struggle. Granted we have one of the best front courts but we still can't win with them so until we have good guards we are not going to win. You also need to remember that these are not Woody's guys they all were coached by someone else first so he needs to get his guys into his system. We have some pretty good guards coming in the next few years so things can definitely turn around. Everyone needs to just lighten up.

We are currently ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten as far as academics are concerned overall. As with any school we have certain degrees that are better than others.
That isn’t what you said

Look at how mega $$$ are already transforming Texas A&M football. Enough $$$ and the big name coaches and athletes will come
TAMU may have been little brother to Texas - Austin Longhorns about a decade or more ago.
Then they joined the the SEC, in part because of the Longhorn Network, and never looked back. (Gig ‘em)

TAMU has been bankrolled by Houston oil barons, the sons of the original east Texas oil field barons, since before we were born. I don’t think IU alums are as wealthy, or as committed. (One of the Hunt sons founded the NFL KC Chiefs). (One of the Houston oil barons (who started in the Permian basin) and his son both became president).

Kyle Field is one of the original, and one of the biggest (102,733 seats) football edifices in the country (4th largest).
IU couldn’t put in more seats than Ross Aide.

If it were just a matter of money, one would think the Permian Basin Oil barons would have done better at Texas Tech, than Baylor, SMU, TCU, than they have. (Coaches leave the Red Raiders for greener pastures).

Comparing IU to TAMU doesn’t make sense.

(BTW. Bear Bryant coached a turnaround at TAMU, after he left Adolph Rupp’s UK).

What is your inside info?
I wish I could, but I couldn't really do that on a public basketball message board, the security of which I don't know and if I trust you with details. I still like my job, and let's just say I'm not a janitor (not that there's anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean, I hear things that not everybody knows). I can share this with you though, it's public info and not me, but might give you some idea why her hiring is dubious and there's more I'd share, but I just can't on here with somebody I don't know ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT