ADVERTISEMENT

Additional Football Facility Needs

goody1986

Junior
Oct 16, 2004
Tis the offseason. After reading about Purdue's Ross Ade Stadium Survey (and seeing some of the good and creative ideas they are weighing) and reading about new football facilities everywhere from Clemson and South Carolina to Kansas, I'm interested to know what is next for IU football facilities, including Memorial Stadium. Given the recently completed projects and soon-to-be completed projects (locker room), what's next (facility-wise) that would improve (1) fan support or the fan experience or (2) player development and recruiting.

A few initial thoughts:
1. Mellencamp is getting a little dated and might benefit from an overhaul or a twin indoor facility.
2. MS is much improved, but it doesn't have as many varied seating areas and fan amenities of newer facilities - seats are overwhelmingly aluminum benches with no seatbacks, and the end zones provide the only interesting seating options and amenities. The fan experience hasn't been a primary driver of recent additions. Perhaps introducing more seating options would drum up additional fan support, encourage fans to come on time and stay throughout, and encourage a livelier atmosphere.
3. The press box and suites need significant expansion and renovation.
4. We know, we know, a football only facility.

For context, Purdue is considering party decks, loge boxes, varieties of club seating, enhanced field-level seating, tailgate packages, elevating a section of bowl seating now to place additional suites below it - a wide variety of options that would significantly alter amenities and seating options at Ross Ade.

Some Comparisons
Ross Ade Stadium Survey: https://purduesports.com/sports/2019/1/14/your-ross-ade-stadium.aspx
Article about the Survey: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...en-input-purdues-ross-ade-stadium/2715648002/
University of Kansas Indoor Facility: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article209213739.html
University of South Carolina Football Operations Building: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...tball/josh-kendall-blog/article224561610.html

Reactions: vesuvius13
2. MS is much improved, but it doesn't have as many varied seating areas and fan amenities of newer facilities - seats are overwhelmingly aluminum benches with no seatbacks, and the end zones provide the only interesting seating options and amenities. The fan experience hasn't been a primary driver of recent additions. Perhaps introducing more seating options would drum up additional fan support, encourage fans to come on time and stay throughout, and encourage a livelier atmosphere.
For 70 bucks a pop we should have reclining, lined, massage chairs.

Honestly, they need to have tiered pricing and family packages. Think of how many families would enjoy a Saturday at the game. Personally I can afford it, BUT for a family of four thats 280 a pop without food and beverages. Thats pretty expensive IMO. Locals (Monroe County) should be offered a package for sure.

Tis the offseason. After reading about Purdue's Ross Ade Stadium Survey (and seeing some of the good and creative ideas they are weighing) and reading about new football facilities everywhere from Clemson and South Carolina to Kansas, I'm interested to know what is next for IU football facilities, including Memorial Stadium. Given the recently completed projects and soon-to-be completed projects (locker room), what's next (facility-wise) that would improve (1) fan support or the fan experience or (2) player development and recruiting.

A few initial thoughts:
1. Mellencamp is getting a little dated and might benefit from an overhaul or a twin indoor facility.

For context, Purdue is considering party decks, loge boxes, varieties of club seating, enhanced field-level seating, tailgate packages, elevating a section of bowl seating now to place additional suites below it - a wide variety of options that would significantly alter amenities and seating options at Ross Ade.

Some Comparisons
Ross Ade Stadium Survey: https://purduesports.com/sports/2019/1/14/your-ross-ade-stadium.aspx
Article about the Survey: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...en-input-purdues-ross-ade-stadium/2715648002/
University of Kansas Indoor Facility: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article209213739.html
University of South Carolina Football Operations Building: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...tball/josh-kendall-blog/article224561610.html

While the survey does include some interesting ideas, at the end of the day, most of them would only affect/improve the game experience for a very small percentage of ticket holders

A few initial thoughts:

Some Comparisons

Also, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of this survey, Ross-Ade expansion/renovation has been talked about for 20 years. Purdue released a 3 phase plan in 1999, and only phase 1 (press box) was completed, in 2003. Every couple of years since there seems to be another public push by the athletic dept that goes nowhere. And these are frequently (4 or 5 times) accompanied by a set of new/updated renderings.

Reactions: ESalum86
Looking at the eyesore that currently sits there, sandwiched between beautiful north and south endzone renovations.
I don't need to look at it. I have been there and didn't hear any complaints.

Looking at the eyesore that currently sits there, sandwiched between beautiful north and south endzone renovations.
It is pretty tacky looking. Looks like a crackerbox was lowered down and propped into place. If they could take that down and replace it with new press facilities and suites across the length of the west stands, and do it with the same aesthetics they did with the NEZ, that would be an improvement.

But, as has already been mentioned, few of these suggestions would benefit anyone but the privileged few.

It is pretty tacky looking. Looks like a crackerbox was lowered down and propped into place. If they could take that down and replace it with new press facilities and suites across the length of the west stands, and do it with the same aesthetics they did with the NEZ, that would be an improvement.

But, as has already been mentioned, few of these suggestions would benefit anyone but the privileged few.
Agree. That would be nice.

Renovate Mellencamp and get the other sports out of the North Endzone complex.

My only complaint with it, is how it looks from the outside. Pure vanity on my part.
I agree completely. It looked OK before the 2 endzone additions. Now, it just looks like a crackerbox.

I guess it's not too bad until you see a pressbox like Purdue's or Wisconsin's. In this athletic arms race, aesthetics are important.

It's very sterile up there. I watched just part of a game in there and it was boring as hell, compared to sitting in the stands.

I agree completely. It looked OK before the 2 endzone additions. Now, it just looks like a crackerbox.

I guess it's not too bad until you see a pressbox like Purdue's or Wisconsin's. In this athletic arms race, aesthetics are important.

It's very sterile up there. I watched just part of a game in there and it was boring as hell, compared to sitting in the stands.

Agree that it looks old, and very small in proportion to the rest of the stadium. I would prioritize it over renovating Mellencamp.

Also, same problem exists as renovating a rundown home. When you fix part of it, the old part is more noticeable.

A thought based on some of the responses, re: waiting to build new seating options or seats - waiting to win to create a better stadium environment and to improve seating options with additional premium seating options seems shortsighted. For one, it's possible and important to create a variety of premium seating options within the press box and removed from it.

IU might reduce bleacher seating and replace a portion of that loss with a variety of premium options. IU might, for example, reduce bleacher seating and replace it with chair back seating in a section or sections. The loss of seats could be replaced with an expansion of the press box to include suites, loge boxes, club seating, and other premium options to get back to roughly the current capacity. The suites at IU in the press box are incredibly substandard for today's market and in comparison to peer stadia around the B1G. Check the photos online, they're sad and depressing. IU might increase the annual revenue stream by improving those options now. Yes, winning increases the demand for those options, but so does simply having them.

IU's current seating options are overwhelmingly bench seating. More premium options are the Henke Hall of Champions ($800/season ticket), Tobias Center ($500/season ticket), and the Stadium Club ($1,500/season ticket). The end zones are fairly priced and have nice amenities, but they're less desirable as end zone seats. I'm pretty much unwilling to go to a sporting event to sit on aluminum bleachers at this point and not have a beer, but I'm easily convinced to spend a little more to sit comfortably and enjoy food and drinks. I think that's an increasingly common position for sports fans across the board.

It also strikes me that when you put the press in an outdated, small-time environment, they treat you like an outdated, small-time program. Aesthetics play an important role in signaling internally and externally.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23

I think they should eventually copy how Memorial Stadium's twin, Lane Stadium at Virginia Tech, has handled press box/suite. Shift it over to the shorter east stands, build something that spans that deck, incorporate press box and suites, use the foundation structure as either a football facility or reserve the north end zone facilities for football and shift the other sports to the new structure.

No need for the extra seating like they've built over the years.

2708721072_ba31a3b15d_b.jpg

New-Memorial-Stadium-Aerial.jpg

I think they should eventually copy how Memorial Stadium's twin, Lane Stadium at Virginia Tech, has handled press box/suite. Shift it over to the shorter east stands, build something that spans that deck, incorporate press box and suites, use the foundation structure as either a football facility or reserve the north end zone facilities for football and shift the other sports to the new structure.

The thought comes to mind that we have done a better job architecturally in expanding our stadium with the exception of an updated press box and suites compared to Tech. It's our next step...

Reactions: ESalum86

I think that could be a great option as well.

Reactions: iulb and vesuvius13
I've said this for awhile but I think a simple cost effective upgrade would be team colored bench seats. They should replace the silver colored benches with cream and crimson striped benches. For now while we try and grow, it will at the very least give the attendance a better visual appearance on TV let alone give the entire stadium an instant makeover. Once full, you won't even see them anyways but something about the miles of open silver seating is just rough.

I'm pretty sure that was the justification for painting the walls.

I've said this for awhile but I think a simple cost effective upgrade would be team colored bench seats. They should replace the silver colored benches with cream and crimson striped benches. For now while we try and grow, it will at the very least give the attendance a better visual appearance on TV let alone give the entire stadium an instant makeover. Once full, you won't even see them anyways but something about the miles of open silver seating is just rough.

I'm pretty sure that was the justification for painting the walls.
Agreed,those aluminum bleachers really stand out,even more so on a sunny day.
It’s not a good look.

Also, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of this survey, Ross-Ade expansion/renovation has been talked about for 20 years. Purdue released a 3 phase plan in 1999, and only phase 1 (press box) was completed, in 2003. Every couple of years since there seems to be another public push by the athletic dept that goes nowhere. And these are frequently (4 or 5 times) accompanied by a set of new/updated renderings.

You obviously did not hear the news that the 22 year old reign of a bean counting , unimaginative AD ended almost three years ago.

There is no reason to renovate the press box and add suites until the program wins consistently enough and creates the demand for more premium seating options. Upgrades need to be focused on the player experience.

Press box needs have been dramatically reduced with the demise of the American newspaper industry and the end of am and fm radio stations as we once knew them.

Press box needs have been dramatically reduced with the demise of the American newspaper industry and the end of am and fm radio stations as we once knew them.
"Press box" is now a more generic term. Everyone knows the newer press boxes are mainly suites.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
"Press box" is now a more generic term. Everyone knows the newer press boxes are mainly suites.

Although, the current press area is apparently incredibly cramped to the point where the roof of the press box was occasionally been used for journalist overflow in recent years.

Although, the current press area is apparently incredibly cramped to the point where the roof of the press box was occasionally been used for journalist overflow in recent years.
I didn't know that. But they are selling seats/suites in our current press box.

I'm not trying to throw rocks at you, just trying to understand the basis for your comments. Are you relying on personal observation or on the comments of others? Other posters have commented on the diminishing need for on-site press coverage. Also, having been to Memorial Stadium many times, including a few in the west side suites, it is my understanding that the roof is not approved by regulation for any sort of occupancy.

Damn,now that’s a press box.

I'm not trying to throw rocks at you, just trying to understand the basis for your comments. Are you relying on personal observation or on the comments of others? Other posters have commented on the diminishing need for on-site press coverage. Also, having been to Memorial Stadium many times, including a few in the west side suites, it is my understanding that the roof is not approved by regulation for any sort of occupancy.

Early in the article it states that some media members were sent to the roof.

Now, I don’t know how frequent this occurs, but I’ve heard from other people this wasn’t the first time it had happened.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-biggest-iu-football-game-50-years/614572001/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT