ADVERTISEMENT

A question about masks . . .

Anectdotal, but my 26 year old daughter wears a mask everywhere and is completely messed up with regards to normal interactions. When you visit her apartment you're not allowed to sit directly on her furniture in "street clothes." I don't mean that she'll simply be irritated, but that she'll borderline melt down. She won't even sit on her own furniture after being outside, without changing clothes and taking a shower, etc. She won't go inside a grocery store and still does the curbside pickup. She wasn't like this pre-Covid.

Covid just really did a job on some people.

She will just end up being more susceptible to getting sick when she inevitably encounters germs.

That's rough. Sorry she's going through that.

outside of my wife handing us masks when we get on airplanes, we have been back to normal for a long while.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Anectdotal, but my 26 year old daughter wears a mask everywhere and is completely messed up with regards to normal interactions. When you visit her apartment you're not allowed to sit directly on her furniture in "street clothes." I don't mean that she'll simply be irritated, but that she'll borderline melt down. She won't even sit on her own furniture after being outside, without changing clothes and taking a shower, etc. She won't go inside a grocery store and still does the curbside pickup. She wasn't like this pre-Covid.

They have their place. Your daughter has taken it to an extreme. I'm sure others have too. For the most part, people are wearing them for good reason, either not to spread their sickness to others or not to catch a sickness from others if they're immunocompromised. It's best not to judge and live and let live.

You're on track. One of the women is undergoing cancer treatment. She wears a mask in close proximity to others due to being immunocompromised. The rest of the choir, a few of them I know are Trump supporters from talking to them, decided they'd all wear them too just to help make sure they didn't infect her with something. The woman with cancer almost cried telling me that they were doing that for her. That woman is my wife.
Sorry to hear that, Aloha. How's she doing?

Sorry to hear that, Aloha. How's she doing?
She's getting her fourth chemotherapy as we type. So far, all signs are good, and the bonus is that she's had few negative side effects from the chemo. Taste is messed up, her face breaks out for a few days about 10 days after treatment, and occasional intestinal issues. She's pretty much doing all her normal things like working part time as a CPA (it's not tax season), ballet classes, walk-run several times a week and goes about her normal routine, except won't go eat in a restaurant or be in close proximity of others. She's a big Bruce Springsteen fan and we have tickets to his show in Columbus this coming spring. I don't know if she'll go yet or not.

It's an aggressive cancer and she will have a mastectomy barring a miracle. It was stage IIIB, but her medical team is confident she's going to beat it. Might put off my retirement a few months - or hasten it. Depends on how she's doing. Definitely delays our planned post-retirement-retirement move to Arizona. She'll be undergoing treatment until at least October of next year.

My daughter is in town from Arizona and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.

She's getting her fourth chemotherapy as we type. So far, all signs are good, and the bonus is that she's had few negative side effects from the chemo. Taste is messed up, her face breaks out for a few days about 10 days after treatment, and occasional intestinal issues. She's pretty much doing all her normal things like working part time as a CPA (it's not tax season), ballet classes, walk-run several times a week and goes about her normal routine, except won't go eat in a restaurant or be in close proximity of others. She's a big Bruce Springsteen fan and we have tickets to his show in Columbus this coming spring. I don't know if she'll go yet or not.

It's an aggressive cancer and she will have a mastectomy barring a miracle. It was stage IIIB, but her medical team is confident she's going to beat it. Might put off my retirement a few months - or hasten it. Depends on how she's doing. Definitely delays our planned post-retirement-retirement move to Arizona. She'll be undergoing treatment until at least October of next year.

My daughter is in town and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.
All rivalry jokes/ragging aside, my heart and more importantly prayers go out to your wife and to you Aloha. Sounds very hopeful, which is such good news, but no matter what happens, God will take care of you all. Stay strong and continue being her rock. OK, now you can harangue me for being one of “those people” 😉

Last edited:

My daughter is in town and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.
Thank you.

Good news about the prognosis. Let us know how things are going . . . .

My daughter is in town from Arizona and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.

Personally, I'm betting on your wife in this fight. I imagine she's a tough lady, having put up with you for all those years. 🤣

(For real though, I'll be saying a prayer for your wife. Cancer can suck a big fat one. )

Would you wear a mask if you were flying without your wife?

My wife, who I’m told is a big deal in the healing arts (lol), is so inconsistent w her mask when we fly. On one leg of the trip she’s masking, the next she’s not. I asked about it once. Jesus, just once. She said it depends on the situation but then did not bother to fully explain. I wisely stopped asking questions with my unmasked mouth right then.

One of life’s curveballs. Wish your wife well in her battle.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Yep. That’s terrible. Have you thought about counseling? It sounds a bit like COVID triggered OCD or another form of anxiety.

It’s not healthy to think and live like that.

Reactions: stollcpa
Nope. Now I wouldn't say there were a lot of beauties or handsome dudes in the choir. The members of this church are getting pretty old. Not many kids and not many of birthing age. It's a dying church in my opinion. I'm 62 now and I feel like one of the young crowd.
I think it’s pretty much the normal at most churches.

Prayers Aloha. Hope treatment goes well.

You're on track. One of the women is undergoing cancer treatment. She wears a mask in close proximity to others due to being immunocompromised. The rest of the choir, a few of them I know are Trump supporters from talking to them, decided they'd all wear them too just to help make sure they didn't infect her with something. The woman with cancer almost cried telling me that they were doing that for her. That woman is my wife.
Prayers for your wife. But it is a great thing when people really together like the choir in their concern for another. It is all too often humans do not, even in a church.

Prayers for your wife. But it is a great thing when people really together like the choir in their concern for another. It is all too often humans do not, even in a church.
That’s why it’s important to be part of things. Our soccer community is amazing. From games to raise money for families with shit gone wrong to trivia nights for charities. We even bought a building and have our own “private” club for it. And honestly a benefit of Facebook. Facebook helps with that stuff.

I wonder if younger gens will do the same. In the soccer community it’s the old guys who organize everything. Guys in their 60s

Are young people in choir?

That’s why it’s important to be part of things. Our soccer community is amazing. From games to raise money for families with shit gone wrong to trivia nights for charities. We even bought a building and have our own “private” club for it. And honestly a benefit of Facebook. Facebook helps with that stuff.

I wonder if younger gens will do the same. In the soccer community it’s the old guys who organize everything. Guys in their 60s

The youngs are still playing soccer. Just ask them.

The youngs are still playing soccer. Just ask them.

Yeah that’s what I wondered. Or instead of fundraisers they just set up gofundme. You’ll appreciate this. Our team bought an old dilapidated building on the hill for peanuts and turned it into a private club for the soccer community. Took years to renovate. Massive tvs. Couches. Insane bar. Outdoor patio. And when fundraisers are needed we hold them there.

No northsiders of course….

No young people in the choir. Very few young people in the church. Very few children. This church is dying. The ministers are black and I was hopeful they'd bring in some young black folks after they came onboard a few years back. I love the music at black churches and I was hoping they'd spice up our church. Didn't happen.

I think as we have become more mobile we have lost a sense of community. People leave college, move to a city, never expecting to stay long. They are less likely to be religious today, so that avenue is out.

I know personally, growing up pretty much every home was owned by the same people, or at most, one move from the time I was 8 until the last homes were torn down when I was 25. I would go visit my dad and still know the neighbors.

I have lived in my house now 30 years, and the homes have changed over many, many, times. Sometimes multiple times in a year. Just not a lot of desire to really get to know them to watch them leave the moment I do.

I think as we have become more mobile we have lost a sense of community. People leave college, move to a city, never expecting to stay long. They are less likely to be religious today, so that avenue is out.

I know personally, growing up pretty much every home was owned by the same people, or at most, one move from the time I was 8 until the last homes were torn down when I was 25. I would go visit my dad and still know the neighbors.

I have lived in my house now 30 years, and the homes have changed over many, many, times. Sometimes multiple times in a year. Just not a lot of desire to really get to know them to watch them leave the moment I do.
I think this is spot on. The guys responsible for our soccer community came back after college and never left. They live in the same area. Families all know each other. Play soccer together a few times a week for fifty years now.

You move you lose that connection. And I don’t see a younger generation that will replace the guys that hold our stuff together.

Yeah that’s what I wondered. Or instead of fundraisers they just set up gofundme. You’ll appreciate this. Our team bought an old dilapidated building on the hill for peanuts and turned it into a private club for the soccer community. Took years to renovate. Massive tvs. Couches. Insane bar. Outdoor patio. And when fundraisers are needed we hold them there.

No northsiders of course….

Killer! Sounds like a lot of fun. Seems like The Hill is still great.

I think guys of a certain age all need to find a club team or activity group, or whatever you want to call it. some comradery, getting after it a little bit physically, a few beers to wrap up. Good for the soul. Good for fighting off dementia. I've got that going a little bit with a tennis crew.

I'm still friends with some real NOCOers. they all live in St Charles or w county now but don't get them started on their old neighborhoods. they will paint a never ending picture. and they are mostly soccer freaks. one buddy got into a fist fight this year and broke an ankle while playing. he's a 45 yr old construction mgr, father of 3. wtf. man, they don't play around when it comes to soccer.

Killer! Sounds like a lot of fun. Seems like The Hill is still great.

I think guys of a certain age all need to find a club team or activity group, or whatever you want to call it. some comradery, getting after it a little bit physically, a few beers to wrap up. Good for the soul. Good for fighting off dementia. I've got that going a little bit with a tennis crew.

I'm still friends with some real NOCOers. they all live in St Charles or w county now but don't get them started on their old neighborhoods. they will paint a never ending picture. and they are mostly soccer freaks. one buddy got into a fist fight this year and broke an ankle while playing. he's a 45 yr old construction mgr, father of 3. wtf. man, they don't play around when it comes to soccer.
I am DYING lol. They are sooooo much tougher and rougher than us. When I was a kid having to play tourneys in Bridgeton and Florissant was hell. You couldn’t walk for days. And even tho they’ve played at Slu and siue and iu and all these places together, including our old man leagues, they still separate at every chance. We just had Boxing Day. They don’t participate. It’s our sluh, cbc, desmet, vianney, Dubourg, st Mary’s, Lindbergh, Webster, kirkwood crowd. They have their own annual game which I think is today or tomorrow usually at flo valley. Flo valley is their mothership 🤣

And yes it’s weird but the hill is thriving. Kind of a hot neighborhood

• Haha
Reactions: manichi
They don’t participate. It’s our sluh, cbc, desmet, vianney, Dubourg, st Mary’s, Lindbergh, Webster, kirkwood crowd. They have their own annual game which I think is today or tomorrow usually at flo valley. Flo valley is their mothership 🤣

this is great. I was at Whitfield (eye roll) before leaving STL early in HS. One of those NOCO dudes was with me there. Finished there. went on to a big degree, joined polite society. to this day, with that group of friends, I'm the soft one. I'm the lily-white figure in the ivory tower counting stacks. those are the rules. lol

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
this is great. I was at Whitfield (eye roll) before leaving STL early in HS. One of those NOCO dudes was with me there. Finished there. went on to a big degree, joined polite society. to this day, with that group of friends, I'm the soft one. I'm the lily-white figure in the ivory tower counting stacks. those are the rules. lol
Mason road!

Oh yeah extremely hard people lol. We used to joke that every game against their clubs was like playing a team full of Hanson Brothers.

Mason road!

Oh yeah extremely hard people lol. We used to joke that every game against their clubs was like playing a team full of Hanson Brothers.

I never realized people from STL had an accent til we spent a couple hours at that bar in the City Museum. Bartender was from "The Hill", and a couple locals that were there as well.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I never realized people from STL had an accent til we spent a couple hours at that bar in the City Museum. Bartender was from "The Hill", and a couple locals that were there as well.
Ha! City museum is wild isn’t it?! the owner was a real kid at heart. he was building some crazy jurassic park or some kind of wild new park when his bulldozer tipped over and killed him. but people say he was murdered and that was staged. i can't remember the story. but again city museum is cool. booze and danger and you can bring the kids. what's not to like

Ha! City museum is wild isn’t it?! the owner was a real kid at heart. he was building some crazy jurassic park or some kind of wild new park when his bulldozer tipped over and killed him. but people say he was murdered and that was staged. i can't remember the story. but again city museum is cool. booze and danger and you can bring the kids. what's not to like

Yeah, that place was insane. Dug the architectural stuff, the fish tanks, and some of the retro stuff...but yeah...the real beauty is just letting the kids run free. You'd find them coming out of the walls everywhere. Trap doors, hidden entrances...whatever.

Was talking to some mom at the bar whose husband is a fireman. Said they have to come out a couple times a month just to find kids in the labyrinths that get disoriented and lost. 😄

Yeah, that place was insane. Dug the architectural stuff, the fish tanks, and some of the retro stuff...but yeah...the real beauty is just letting the kids run free. You'd find them coming out of the walls everywhere. Trap doors, hidden entrances...whatever.

Was talking to some mom at the bar whose husband is a fireman. Said they have to come out a couple times a month just to find kids in the labyrinths that get disoriented and lost. 😄
the roof is wild and cool too

First off, it's an interesting clip and I thought he did a nice job thinking about the failures.

But, the disdain from the Tweeters is unwarranted. You have a well recognized public health official admitting they made some oversights or mistakes in their recommendations. If we all think back and remember how it went from a nothingburger in February 2020 to a shit show in March 2020 (not just domestically, but globally), they had to act quickly and provide some guidance.

I personally commend that guy for owning up to problems as it relates to national health policy recommendations. Let's face it, there are always going to be stark differences between Urban and Rural communities, based on the nature of how they are constructed, physically and culturally. Given COVID was an unknown and novel disease spreading rapidly, particularly for those within close proximity, it makes sense that many of the primary recommendations were made to prevent the slow and spread within Urban areas.

Perhaps Collins made conflicting statements like Fauci, but what he said here makes me think more of him.

Rooting for your wife and thinking about your family. Cancer sucks, so super happy to hear that the prognosis is a positive one.

Here's to more positive progress and getting back to feeling better in 2024!

First off, it's an interesting clip and I thought he did a nice job thinking about the failures.

But, the disdain from the Tweeters is unwarranted. You have a well recognized public health official admitting they made some oversights or mistakes in their recommendations. If we all think back and remember how it went from a nothingburger in February 2020 to a shit show in March 2020 (not just domestically, but globally), they had to act quickly and provide some guidance.

I personally commend that guy for owning up to problems as it relates to national health policy recommendations. Let's face it, there are always going to be stark differences between Urban and Rural communities, based on the nature of how they are constructed, physically and culturally. Given COVID was an unknown and novel disease spreading rapidly, particularly for those within close proximity, it makes sense that many of the primary recommendations were made to prevent the slow and spread within Urban areas.

Perhaps Collins made conflicting statements like Fauci, but what he said here makes me think more of him.
Excellent response

My wife's uncle and aunt, on her dad's side, are the same way. They were outdoors people, I'd go so far as to say rednecks (and proud of it). Dyed in the wool Red State Republicans. Covid turned them into hermits. Reclusive to the nth degree. Nobody can visit. They don't attend functions any longer, not even funerals for close family they lost. They don't shop, church, congregate, hunt, fish, camp...anything. Whatever material things they need, it's all delivered to a drop box outside their garage. If they absolutely have to leave the house, they go mask, face shield, surgical gloves...the full Monty of PPE. When they get home they go first into the garage and strip down to their skivvies...shower, change clothes and launder everything they wore while disposing of the PPE.

Covid wrecked their psyche.

Masks? Whatever.

They have been, and still remain, a worthless virtue signal.

The clot shot...the bigger issue.

Just overheard today one of the biggest shitlib shitposters in Bloomington online history "died suddenly" this week due to unforeseen lung issues.

At least it wasn't Covid.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I was informed this evening a friend passed. She was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer a couple years ago, but had been doing really well until about 2 months ago when they had to substitute a chemo drug because of shortages. The new drug made her weaker. Then at the beginning of this week she had to be hospitalized, RSV and viral pneumonia. I don't know if everyone masking around her would have helped, but it couldn't have hurt.

That is 2 friends in less than 2 weeks passing. It really has me desperate to retire sooner rather than later. Neither of them made it to the point they could spend days doing what they enjoy and not what someone else demands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT