ADVERTISEMENT

A question about masks . . .

Aloha Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
Went to the Christmas Eve service with my family and no one in the congregation was wearing masks, but everyone in the choir was. What are the WC thoughts about that?

Went to the Christmas Eve service with my family and no one in the congregation was wearing masks, but everyone in the choir was. What are the WC thoughts about that?
Masks are for hypochondriacs and Immunocompromised. They accomplish very little.
I attended a Christmas concert at church and Christmas Eve service. A handful of masks and none in the choirs.

Maybe someone in the choir is being super careful or has some kind of health condition and everyone else in the choir is being respectful of that.

Report back to us how many are wearing masks on Easter. Choir members are typically leaders.

They follow the choir director . . . who might be a liberal weenie, or who might be old . . . or have a compromised loved one at home.

Reactions: BradStevens
Report back to us how many are wearing masks on Easter. Choir members are typically leaders.

They follow the choir director . . . who might be a liberal weenie, or who might be old . . . and have a compromised loved one at home.
No. The choir wears them every week. I don't go most of the time, but my wife is in the choir.

In the congregation with my daughter. We were not wearing masks.

I meant city, state. I haven’t seen groups of maskers in years. Sure the occasional family on a plane or individuals walking around, but that’s odd.

Not that I attend much, but the choirs in MN weren’t and this is as blue state.

I meant city, state. I haven’t seen groups of maskers in years. Sure the occasional family on a plane or individuals walking around, but that’s odd.

Not that I attend much, but the choirs in MN weren’t and this is as blue state.
Kettering Ohio. Don't see a lot of people wearing masks here, but you see some. It's the new normal. For those of us that have been to Asia, it's not an unusual thing at all.

No. The choir wears them every week. I don't go most of the time, but my wife is in the choir.
My wife was too, before the pandemic. They never wore masks.

Maybe it's because they produce more air than most of the congregation and they're being polite.

I'm considering the idea that they were doing it with the best of intentions and in support of those amongst them that want to avoid the crud - pick your particular crud strain. Some choirs practice in close quarters or in spaces with restricted air flow and they could be accommodating an immuno-compromised member. It's difficult for me to comment on the situation without understanding the factors influencing the decision.

I'm disappointed that so many individuals feel the need to pass judgment on "mask wearing". It's an individual's choice. Live and let live. Stay off my lawn.

Ok. The rest of them were ugly. Your wife talks too much?
Nope. Now I wouldn't say there were a lot of beauties or handsome dudes in the choir. The members of this church are getting pretty old. Not many kids and not many of birthing age. It's a dying church in my opinion. I'm 62 now and I feel like one of the young crowd.

Kettering Ohio. Don't see a lot of people wearing masks here, but you see some. It's the new normal. For those of us that have been to Asia, it's not an unusual thing at all.

That surprises me given you aren’t in a big city or other heavy blue area.

Of course, but this isn’t Beijing. And thank god for that. I don’t care if people chose to wear masks, but those that still do seem to be weird about social interaction. That’s not a great thing for long term function and mental health.

Dayton? I thought you were in Columbus teaching at OSU . . . .

Yeah, I’m fine. I was there with a family member who was in a pretty bad car wreck.

It’s a long story.
Okay good and hope they are okay. In the meantime advise them not to speak with the other company’s insurance company and DO NOT agree to a recorded statement. Reach out to @TheOriginalHappyGoat. That family member’s pain today is a payday tomorrow

Reactions: larsIU
Luke 20:47
who swallow up the property of widows and mask their wickedness by making long prayers. They will be punished far more severely than others."

Just an option.

• Haha
Reactions: snarlcakes
Dayton? I thought you were in Columbus teaching at OSU . . . .
I haven't taught at Ohio State since 2007. I transferred from there to my last ship and from the ship to my last assignment teaching and serving as Deputy Director at a DoD institute here in Dayton. Retired from there in 2012. My civilian job is also in this neck of the woods. We live in the area, of course. Not Kettering, but close.

I haven't taught at Ohio State since 2007. I transferred from there to my last ship and from the ship to my last assignment teaching and serving as Deputy Director at a DoD institute here in Dayton. Retired from there in 2012. We live in the area, of course. Not Kettering, but close.
When at IU I dated a girl from West Alexandria.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
how long have you been in kettering aloha? i like dayton. one of my best friends played soccer for them. i visited a few times and in the mid 90s considered playing indoor for the dynamo

Nope. Now I wouldn't say there were a lot of beauties or handsome dudes in the choir. The members of this church are getting pretty old. Not many kids and not many of birthing age. It's a dying church in my opinion. I'm 62 now and I feel like one of the young crowd.
I appreciate the breakdown on their looks. It made me laugh out loud 🤣

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
how long have you been in kettering aloha? i like dayton. one of my best friends played soccer for them. i visited a few times and in the mid 90s considered playing indoor for the dynamo
Worked here since late 2009. For my last three years of active duty, I commuted from Columbus area - 62 miles each way. Got through close 38 audiobooks during those three years. I got a civilian job in this area, so we moved. I only did the commute because we owned that house, and I wasn't sure where I'd retire to. This is a good location because it's close to my family in Louisville and southern Indiana, but not too close! ;)

Incidentally, there are a lot of good audiobooks available. I really enjoyed most of them. The best to listen to of them all was "Lonesome Dove." It's truly and outstanding audiobook. It's also a great book. One of the few I've read multiple times.

That surprises me given you aren’t in a big city or other heavy blue area.

Of course, but this isn’t Beijing. And thank god for that. I don’t care if people chose to wear masks, but those that still do seem to be weird about social interaction. That’s not a great thing for long term function and mental health.

Anectdotal, but my 26 year old daughter wears a mask everywhere and is completely messed up with regards to normal interactions. When you visit her apartment you're not allowed to sit directly on her furniture in "street clothes." I don't mean that she'll simply be irritated, but that she'll borderline melt down. She won't even sit on her own furniture after being outside, without changing clothes and taking a shower, etc. She won't go inside a grocery store and still does the curbside pickup. She wasn't like this pre-Covid.

Covid just really did a job on some people.

Worked here since late 2009. For my last three years of active duty, I commuted from Columbus area - 62 miles each way. Got through close 38 audiobooks during those three years. I got a civilian job in this area, so we moved. I only did the commute because we owned that house, and I wasn't sure where I'd retire to. This is a good location because it's close to my family in Louisville and southern Indiana, but not too close! ;)
sounds ideal. my buddy loved u of dayton. i was in columbus for almost two years. i really didn't like it there. one of the only places i've ever lived that i didn't like.

Anectdotal, but my 26 year old daughter wears a mask everywhere and is completely messed up with regards to normal interactions. When you visit her apartment you're not allowed to sit directly on her furniture in "street clothes." I don't mean that she'll simply be irritated, but that she'll borderline melt down. She won't even sit on her own furniture after being outside, without changing clothes and taking a shower, etc. She won't go inside a grocery store and still does the curbside pickup. She wasn't like this pre-Covid.

Covid just really did a job on some people.
that's sad. as lebowski said mask wearers largely don't bother anyone so if it makes them feel better go for it, but i do believe what coh said is right and that for hypochondriacs or potential hypos this was/is a nightmare.

I'm considering the idea that they were doing it with the best of intentions and in support of those amongst them that want to avoid the crud - pick your particular crud strain. Some choirs practice in close quarters or in spaces with restricted air flow and they could be accommodating an immuno-compromised member. It's difficult for me to comment on the situation without understanding the factors influencing the decision.

I'm disappointed that so many individuals feel the need to pass judgment on "mask wearing". It's an individual's choice. Live and let live. Stay off my lawn.
You're on track. One of the women is undergoing cancer treatment. She wears a mask in close proximity to others due to being immunocompromised. The rest of the choir, a few of them I know are Trump supporters from talking to them, decided they'd all wear them too just to help make sure they didn't infect her with something. The woman with cancer almost cried telling me that they were doing that for her. That woman is my wife.

that's sad. as lebowski said mask wearers largely don't bother anyone so if it makes them feel better go for it, but i do believe what coh said is right and that for hypochondriacs or potential hypos this was/is a nightmare

My daughter does see a therapist, as she has some recognition that what she's doing is not in her best interests. But I've not seen much in the way of progress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT