ADVERTISEMENT

A question about masks . . .

Went to the Christmas Eve service with my family and no one in the congregation was wearing masks, but everyone in the choir was. What are the WC thoughts about that?
I’ve had surgery three times and I know everyone involved had masks on. Even Mr.”I’m Inoculated,” Aaron Rodgers had a mask around his neck after his Achilles surgery and he’s an anti-masker.

I lean on surgeons and patients vs. Dr. Facebook. Seems like the doctors doing heart surgery at Stanford think it’s important.

I am still baffled bi this subject when the answer is a Google search away.

Last edited:
Don't stress, Aloha. Gotta take the fake internet tough guy geniuses for what they're worth...a chuckle.
No stress here. I'm disappointed that we have so many willfully ignorant people on my side of the aisle. I know we've had them all along, but they're certainly much more vocal these days. They follow the lead of a certain politician.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I’ll tell you what baffles me about healthcare. We just did a jailbreak from the latest round of pancreatitis. Four hospital stays this year at the premier hospital in the region Wash U. There are no words to describe how bad the food is. Why wouldn’t a hospital have decent food? It’s literally inedible. You would think the doctors would complain and demand something better. It’s worse than high school cafes by a long shot. With as obscenely expensive as hospital stays are get some good food and throw it on the made up bill

Reactions: All4You
She's getting her fourth chemotherapy as we type. So far, all signs are good, and the bonus is that she's had few negative side effects from the chemo. Taste is messed up, her face breaks out for a few days about 10 days after treatment, and occasional intestinal issues. She's pretty much doing all her normal things like working part time as a CPA (it's not tax season), ballet classes, walk-run several times a week and goes about her normal routine, except won't go eat in a restaurant or be in close proximity of others. She's a big Bruce Springsteen fan and we have tickets to his show in Columbus this coming spring. I don't know if she'll go yet or not.

It's an aggressive cancer and she will have a mastectomy barring a miracle. It was stage IIIB, but her medical team is confident she's going to beat it. Might put off my retirement a few months - or hasten it. Depends on how she's doing. Definitely delays our planned post-retirement-retirement move to Arizona. She'll be undergoing treatment until at least October of next year.

My daughter is in town from Arizona and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.
So sorry to hear this news. Good that she is tolerating chemo well and a positive prognosis.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
No young people in the choir. Very few young people in the church. Very few children. This church is dying. The ministers are black and I was hopeful they'd bring in some young black folks after they came onboard a few years back. I love the music at black churches and I was hoping they'd spice up our church. Didn't happen.
I noticed the same thing at my church last week. Not a single young family with kids Maybe a couple people under 40. Most over 70. Are all the young people going to Mega Churches now?

Masks? Whatever.

They have been, and still remain, a worthless virtue signal.

The clot shot...the bigger issue.

Just overheard today one of the biggest shitlib shitposters in Bloomington online history "died suddenly" this week due to unforeseen lung issues.

At least it wasn't Covid.
What a disgusting, ignorant post. Shame on you.

I noticed the same thing at my church last week. Not a single young family with kids Maybe a couple people under 40. Most over 70. Are all the young people going to Mega Churches now?
I think many are. My sisters both go to large churches with “praise music” bands. Lots of young people in both those churches. My wife likes traditional churches so that’s what we do. If it was up to me, I’d probably go to a predominantly black church with great gospel music. I find the praise music very repetitive.

In Hawaii the Samoan congregation at our church would join ours once a month and the music was awesome those days.

Reactions: MrBing
I’ll tell you what baffles me about healthcare. We just did a jailbreak from the latest round of pancreatitis. Four hospital stays this year at the premier hospital in the region Wash U. There are no words to describe how bad the food is. Why wouldn’t a hospital have decent food? It’s literally inedible. You would think the doctors would complain and demand something better. It’s worse than high school cafes by a long shot. With as obscenely expensive as hospital stays are get some good food and throw it on the made up bill
The most recent hospital I spent much time visiting the cafeteria was really good, but the food the patients got was awful. That made no sense.

The most recent hospital I spent much time visiting the cafeteria was really good, but the food the patients got was awful. That made no sense.
That’s wonderful. Would make the stay so much better. Cafeteria at our hospital is disgusting and room service worse. And it’s too cold and hard to get back into the hospital to bring food back.

I think many are. My sisters both go to large churches with “praise music” bands. Lots of young people in both those churches. My wife likes traditional churches so that’s what we do. If it was up to me, I’d probably go to a predominantly black church with great gospel music.

In Hawaii the Samoan congregation at our church would join ours once a month and the music was awesome those days.
I like traditional ones too. I tried a Unitarian once but didn’t like it. My minister didn’t have his robes on this week and I missed that. I like the familiar hymns and trappings I guesses. There’s a church in Maui I loved too, but it was destroyed in the fire.

That’s wonderful. Would make the stay so much better. Cafeteria at our hospital is disgusting and room service worse. And it’s too cold and hard to get back into the hospital to bring food back.
We went during meal time on purpose. Lots of choices too. You’d think, like you said, the professionals who work there would demand more. This was like a food court with 4 or 5 different stations.

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
We went during meal time on purpose. Lots of choices too. You’d think, like you said, the professionals who work there would demand more. This was like a food court with 4 or 5 different stations.
On top of it the cafe serves largely greasy shit. Chicken fingers fries etc. for sure re the doctors. I know if I was a doc up there I’d be throwing a fit.

It's an aggressive cancer and she will have a mastectomy barring a miracle. It was stage IIIB, but her medical team is confident she's going to beat it. Might put off my retirement a few months - or hasten it. Depends on how she's doing. Definitely delays our planned post-retirement-retirement move to Arizona. She'll be undergoing treatment until at least October of next year.

I'm old enough to remember when a cancer diagnosis of any sort was usually a death sentence. Huge progress has been made. I'll assume she's going to be one of the ones benefiting from this.

Treatment options are so much better too. Not nearly as debilitating and disfiguring as they once were. They've also wised up and taken a data driven approach, as in the case of my prostate cancer, where it's been determined that it's not doing any harm to speak of and that aggressive treatment provides no long term benefit. Something else will take me out before the prostate cancer does.

Best to your wife, Aloha. Sincerely.

Anectdotal, but my 26 year old daughter wears a mask everywhere and is completely messed up with regards to normal interactions. When you visit her apartment you're not allowed to sit directly on her furniture in "street clothes." I don't mean that she'll simply be irritated, but that she'll borderline melt down. She won't even sit on her own furniture after being outside, without changing clothes and taking a shower, etc. She won't go inside a grocery store and still does the curbside pickup. She wasn't like this pre-Covid.

Covid just really did a job on some people.

I'm sorry to hear this Hank. That's got to be tough to watch.

I have to believe there were some underlying mental health issues that Covid brought to the forefront. Is she getting any kind of professional help?

Wife had a procedure at the new Bloomington hospital shortly after they opened and I was required to hang out there. The food court type setup they had looked inviting, but all I got was a cup of coffee. And no froo froo latte creamy whippy shit either; it was strong and black, just like I like it.

I'm sorry to hear this Hank. That's got to be tough to watch.

I have to believe there were some underlying mental health issues that Covid brought to the forefront. Is she getting any kind of professional help?

Yeah. She's always had some anxiety. But Covid just pushed her way over the line. It's as if it gave her an excuse to retreat. She has seen counselers and therapists. I'm not sure they've helped much. Of course they can only help if she's straight with them about her issues, and who knows what she actually shares with them.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah. She's always had some anxiety. But Covid just pushed her way over the line. It's as if it gave her an excuse to retreat. She has seen counselers and therapists. I'm not sure they've helped much. Of course they can only help if she's straight with them about her issues, and who knows what she actually shares with them.

This hits home. I had high anxiety in my mid-20s. Coped by mostly sitting in my apartment smoking cigarettes and coming up with excuses not to hangout w friends and family. I was too dumb to even see a professional about it, so kudos to your daughter for at least taking that first step. Kind of a lost 5 years but I prob had to hit a rock bottom. Slow climb out but now wouldn’t trade that perspective for anything.

Keep the faith.

Worked here since late 2009. For my last three years of active duty, I commuted from Columbus area - 62 miles each way. Got through close 38 audiobooks during those three years. I got a civilian job in this area, so we moved. I only did the commute because we owned that house, and I wasn't sure where I'd retire to. This is a good location because it's close to my family in Louisville and southern Indiana, but not too close! ;)

Incidentally, there are a lot of good audiobooks available. I really enjoyed most of them. The best to listen to of them all was "Lonesome Dove." It's truly and outstanding audiobook. It's also a great book. One of the few I've read multiple times.
The first audiobook I ever listened to was “The Long Gray Line” - about the 1966 graduating class from West Point, read by Bruce Weitz (who I knew as “Belker” on Hill Street Blues). I was hooked.

Bad weather and cancelled flights made me haul our golf trip guys back from Pinehurst one year. I don't think anybody spoke the whole way - I stuck in John Adams by David McCullogh.

Absolute best way to drive!

She's getting her fourth chemotherapy as we type. So far, all signs are good, and the bonus is that she's had few negative side effects from the chemo. Taste is messed up, her face breaks out for a few days about 10 days after treatment, and occasional intestinal issues. She's pretty much doing all her normal things like working part time as a CPA (it's not tax season), ballet classes, walk-run several times a week and goes about her normal routine, except won't go eat in a restaurant or be in close proximity of others. She's a big Bruce Springsteen fan and we have tickets to his show in Columbus this coming spring. I don't know if she'll go yet or not.

My daughter is in town from Arizona and we're going over to see her in chemo before we go bowl a game and go out to lunch and a couple of drinks.
God bless you and your family Aloha.

We grew up knowing cancer as a death sentence. It isn’t that way anymore. No joy ride, but the cure rates are astonishing.

Good luck!

Masks? Whatever.

They have been, and still remain, a worthless virtue signal.

Just overheard today one of the biggest shitlib shitposters in Bloomington online history "died suddenly" this week due to unforeseen lung issues.

At least it wasn't Covid.
AMF.

Who is this “shitlib” you speak of?

If the clot shot was living up to its name, this person would have died from heart issues, not lung issues, right?

First off, it's an interesting clip and I thought he did a nice job thinking about the failures.

But, the disdain from the Tweeters is unwarranted. You have a well recognized public health official admitting they made some oversights or mistakes in their recommendations. If we all think back and remember how it went from a nothingburger in February 2020 to a shit show in March 2020 (not just domestically, but globally), they had to act quickly and provide some guidance.

I personally commend that guy for owning up to problems as it relates to national health policy recommendations. Let's face it, there are always going to be stark differences between Urban and Rural communities, based on the nature of how they are constructed, physically and culturally. Given COVID was an unknown and novel disease spreading rapidly, particularly for those within close proximity, it makes sense that many of the primary recommendations were made to prevent the slow and spread within Urban areas.

Perhaps Collins made conflicting statements like Fauci, but what he said here makes me think more of him.

I think this is good analysis of Collins statements with context

Um. I’ve been indisposed recently but IGW has been MIA for a while. I would hope not everybody’s favorite Comcast hater and demolition expert.

Seriously.
Any update on this? Anyone know IGW?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT