ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of random thoughts

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
So the other day I finally got around to getting my vaccines -- flu, Covid, and RSV. (Yes, I got all three at the same time. Felt shitty the following day and took a looong nap when I got home.) But it occurred to me that up until this year, I don't think I'd ever heard of RSV. But today you here about it constantly, like it's a big deal and has always been a big deal. I'm relatively bright and well read and it was a new thing for me. Am I the only one? My cynicism tells me it only became a big deal when they came up with a vaccine for it and money was to be made.

Also, out of the blue while I was driving back from White Castle last night, a memory from my youth popped up out of the back of my brain -- Charles Chips. Anyone remeber them? Potato chips in a big can, like the cans of popcorn you see at Christmas. IIRC, it was a subscription service of some sort, or maybe it was sold on a route (I'm now picturing a Charles Chips delivery truck, like an old milk delivery truck.)Anyone remember those? Anyone got any other obscure memories from their youth they'd want to talk about?

I'll be damned, they're still around.

12381402-large.jpg

So the other day I finally got around to getting my vaccines -- flu, Covid, and RSV. (Yes, I got all three at the same time. Felt shitty the following day and took a looong nap when I got home.) But it occurred to me that up until this year, I don't think I'd ever heard of RSV. But today you here about it constantly, like it's a big deal and has always been a big deal. I'm relatively bright and well read and it was a new thing for me. Am I the only one? My cynicism tells me it only became a big deal when they came up with a vaccine for it and money was to be made.

Also, out of the blue while I was driving back from White Castle last night, a memory from my youth popped up out of the back of my brain -- Charles Chips. Anyone remeber them? Potato chips in a big can, like the cans of popcorn you see at Christmas. IIRC, it was a subscription service of some sort, or maybe it was sold on a route (I'm now picturing a Charles Chips delivery truck, like an old milk delivery truck.)Anyone remember those? Anyone got any other obscure memories from their youth they'd want to talk about?

12381402-large.jpg
Hear about rsv constantly with both kids at school. And yes re Charles chips. Not those cans tho. Single packs

Reactions: BadWakeboarder

12381402-large.jpg

Core memory

RSV has been a thing with young kids and especially babies for quite awhile. For adults, I think it’s pretty new. Edit: quite awhile I guess just means 5 years or so I’m aware of.

So it's not a new thing, but it didn't have any mind share outside the medical profession until a vaccine became available.

So it's not a new thing, but it didn't have any mind share outside the medical profession until a vaccine became available.
I'm quite positive that it's been around for a very long time. My oldest daughter is... 32 and it was always a mention but as has been said, mostly a kids thing. Having said that, it was never a OMG GET vaxxed, look out, mask, kids in bubbles (old movie). It also was only much an issue in extreme cases requiring hospitalization, as I recall.
Covid allowed for the study of how to create mass panic, control the narrative and make money from it. It worked. It's just business. And now will never go away.

Since my youngest use to get ear infections pretty regularly and also had this thing where she would randomly start wheezing (I can't for the life of me remember what its called, but my wife's best friend nicknamed her Ringo because from my memory, thats part of the name of what she had), we had to go to the doc a lot. She would have fevers and since she was wheezing, we constantly heard about RSV.

Covid allowed for the study of how to create mass panic, control the narrative and make money from it. It worked. It's just business. And now will never go away.

I know it's nothing new, but what's new is that it's now a widely known thing. That's what happens when a treatment becomes available. Same thing with shingles, but to a lesser degree.

The one that kills me is the contracted middle finger thing they now have Elway shilling for.

I know it's nothing new, but what's new is that it's now a widely known thing. That's what happens when a treatment becomes available. Same thing with shingles, but to a lesser degree.

The one that kills me is the contracted middle finger thing they now have Elway shilling for.
Dupuytren contracture (yep googled it, no way I could spell that).
Actually my current wife has that in both hands. She had surgery on both but it came back. It's freak stuff, but never heard of it before her.

12381402-large.jpg
Used to eat the pretzels right out of the can at the neighbors' houses.

12381402-large.jpg

Never heard of it before I had kids. When you do, it’s one of the first things the pediatrician tells you to look out for (daughter is 8). Strains have worsened over the past few years, similar to influenza and other viruses given COVID lockdowns, distancing, etc.

You only need the vaccine if you are young imo. I have never heard of elderly having serious bouts with it vs pneumonia, COVID, etc. my parents and in laws got it solely because of their grandchildren.

One of my good friend’s kids was hospitalized twice for it for multiple days (inpatient), the latest being when he was around 3 years old. It tends to infect one year olds or less most.

Dupuytren contracture (yep googled it, no way I could spell that).
Actually my current wife has that in both hands. She had surgery on both but it came back. It's freak stuff, but never heard of it before her.
I have it. For a long time I thought it was some sort of weird callus from golfing. Doc took one look and said it was Vikings’ Disease (common name for it). It’s hereditary and next time I saw my dad I showed it to him and he said, “yeah, I got that.” I’m thinking why didn’t you tell me! Mine isn’t bad yet. Dad’s is noticeable. It has no impact on what I can do so far.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
George Carlin had an actual immune system.

After Skool is worth the subscribe for the drawings alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT