ADVERTISEMENT

A few hours to Kick Off // FIU thumbnail overview

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

Their head coach knows his business...

I don't think they have the talent to hang with us but I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't tested early and then we pull away in the 2nd Half...

Actually..., I expect us to annihilate them like everyone else, but figure we're bound to have some first time out kinks to work out early on...

Our DL should be able to dominate their OL so the game might be over sooner than later...

I'll be most closely watching our DL and our LB's, along with our own OL to see who looks sharp in the opener...

It'll also be time to see if all the preseason award talk is beginning to be matched by some regular season "walking the walk"...

Last edited:

Their head coach knows his business...

I don't think they have the talent to hang with us but I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't tested early and then we pull away in the 2nd Half...

Actually..., I expect us to annihilate them like everyone else, but figure we're bound to have some first time out kinks to work out early on...

Our DL should be able to dominate their OL so the game might be over sooner than later...

I'll be most closely watching our DL and our LB's, along with our own OL to see who looks sharp in the opener...

It'll be time to see if all the preseason award talk is begun to be match by some regular season "walking the walk"...
76-1, I will be watching those areas too and expect IU to control the game each quarter. If this team is to be better, I think they will be, then IU needs to dominate FIU. Soon we will get to see the New IUFB and it will be a joy to start the season.

Last edited:
I'm as excited as anyone and this go around has a way different "Feel" to it. However, I keep thinking to myself this has a lot of similarities to when Tiller took over at PU. A very confident coach who was going to do things a totally different way and a lot of people scoffed at him...you know, the spread will never work in the B10! Then PU goes out and loses the first game of the season to Toledo and everything came crashing down! I have a lot of PU friends (some are big time donors) and they were ALL ready to pull the plug game one. When they bounced back and beat ND the next game, that literally changed everything. All I'm saying, I'm not going to panic if it's not perfect out of the gate, I think Cig will get us there. I just hope we don't need our own ND miracle.

I'm as excited as anyone and this go around has a way different "Feel" to it. However, I keep thinking to myself this has a lot of similarities to when Tiller took over at PU. A very confident coach who was going to do things a totally different way and a lot of people scoffed at him...you know, the spread will never work in the B10! Then PU goes out and loses the first game of the season to Toledo and everything came crashing down! I have a lot of PU friends (some are big time donors) and they were ALL ready to pull the plug game one. When they bounced back and beat ND the next game, that literally changed everything. All I'm saying, I'm not going to panic if it's not perfect out of the gate, I think Cig will get us there. I just hope we don't need our own ND miracle.

We better hurry up and get ND on the schedule :)

It's on there for 2030 I believe?
916uwh.jpg

Pretty damn sure the D will keep the opponent under thumb in case the offense needs some possessions to smooth out any wrinkle. Allen had no where near the offensive prowess of Cignetti which to me guarantees adjustments will be made on the fly, in real time and not wait till 1/2 time for a council meeting and decision making.

We are all so ready to see a competitive team take the field! Imagine outside of the normal first game hiccups to see a prepared team that plays up to their potential. Man that would start the year off in a good direction.
I will be happy for the first game if we play sort of Iowa like, keep the opponent from
scoring until we figure out how to do it.

I just received a text message offer from IU Athletics for Western Illinois tickets at $30 each, including an IU football cap. It says the game is on Friday. The IU football site on Rivals has it as a Sat game. An update is needed, in one direction or another.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I just received a text message offer from IU Athletics for Western Illinois tickets at $30 each, including an IU football cap. It says the game is on Friday. The IU football site on Rivals has it as a Sat game. An update is needed, in one direction or another.
Yeah, game 2 (WIU) is the Friday night game.

Friday at 7pm

Let’s all get down on our knees to pray the new regime doesn’t go three ‘n out on the opening series. We’ll know a lot after the first three snaps.
After 2021's implosion at Iowa from the first snap and the hit that Shaun Shivers took on the first play of 2022, and the false start that killed the opportunity to not go 3 and out on the first possession against O$U last year...the bar cant be much lower.

We should not be surprised if all the new players take some time to mesh. We already heard Kurt called for the offense to have a player meeting after things seemed a bit off. Luckily having so many JMU players helps us climb the learning curve faster…especially with Aidan Fisher directing things on the defense.

It would be nice to come out with a win but something less than playing well will be a disappointment.
Did you happen to watch SMU vs Nevada last night ? SMU opened something like a 25 point favorite against a Nevada team that had won a total of 4 games in the last TWO years . Well, Nevada had something like 35 new players (portal etc), and while SMU didn’t play their best (I have 2 daughters at SMU so I have watched them quite a bit) Nevada gave them all they wanted , and more. SMU had a bunch of returning starters , but had to throw a 35 yard TD pass with 1:18 to go to get their first lead and the win. 1-0, and yes, first game they didn’t play their best, but they are a good team and they will play better next week and the week after.

I love how everyone just writes off FIU as terrible, and we should blow them out because the “line” says so. Well, they may be bad , and we may blow them out, and they may not be, and we might not. McIntyre is in his third year as coach there, he has certainly had some past successes, and like everyone they have portal additions. They have a returning athletic QB and a couple OL and WR portal additions, so who knows. And really that is my only point, would I love to see us manhandle them ? Sure, but especially this time of year, there are just so many unknowns, so first games are scary.
I’ll be happy with 1-0, no matter how it happens.

I pretty much say the same thing every season when IU has games like this against teams we don’t know much about and that is “let’s dominate up front on both sides of the ball, run the ball as much as we can, get a good lead and get the starters out by end of 3rd qtr.” And that’s my HOPE again this season, BUT…

Unfortunately, rarely does that happen for IU. Way too close wins in coaching openers like GD’s in ‘02 vs William & Mary and Hep’s vs Nichols State in ‘05 (a team that had to abandon their Louisiana practice site days early due to destruction caused by Katrina) come to mind.

While I hope to see the dominant performance, I won’t be surprised if it’s closer than we’d all like. Hope I’m wrong. MacIntyre will have his team ready to go.

Last edited:
After 2021's implosion at Iowa from the first snap and the hit that Shaun Shivers took on the first play of 2022, and the false start that killed the opportunity to not go 3 and out on the first possession against O$U last year...the bar cant be much lower.
And although it was not the first game of the year, remember the interception for a pick 6 we threw against Maryland. Some of my favorite IU memories. Thanks.

There's so much more parity these days. Teams like FIU, when they have good coaching staffs, are quite a lot more dangerous than they used to be. And despite all the warranted excitement and enthusiasm with Cignetti, and the new season...Indiana won't have an overwhelming talent advantage in this game. Obviously I would fully expect IU to win. And if we take care of business and we thump them, that will be a great sign, for me, that Cignetti's program could be what we're all hoping it will be. But I won't be shocked with a very competitive game on Saturday.

It seems throughout Coach Allen's time at IU the team rarely entered a season with a truly tested QB. Even Penix took a few games to really get it going . . . by the way, his first game was in Miami against FIU. I'm hoping Rourke's experience will help him lead the team with a calm and confident start in game one. Peyton R. is one of my all time favorite IU players; unfortunately, he and MP were at IU at the same time. If Rourke can have a presence similar to PR, IU will have a very good year.

Last edited:
Big Ten vs Conf USA, should not be a contest unless portal guys are not of Big 10 caliber

I'd ordinarily agree but with the Transfer Portals ability to instantly transform a roster the old assumptions are pretty much out the window... We might get a better game from FIU than any of us expect...

Reactions: red hornet
Here's Our Lads version of what they believe FIU's depth chart might be:

Have to admit they don't appear very intimidating at a glance...

Guess we'll know by about 7pm (after the game is played)on Saturday one way or another...

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT