ADVERTISEMENT

-9.5 vs Wright State

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Well we can't shoot, the entire team is lost on D, might as well call this one a season. Or, maybe we let this play out a bit more.

Everyone talked about how it was going to take some time to gel this year with all the new pieces, and guess what, it is gonna take awhile. Turnovers right now are a product of not knowing where to be and communication. The one thing that has been there for almost all the players is effort. They need to learn the system and what Woody wants out of them. Same can be said for Defense. Right now they are not trusting each other enough and the communication isn't where it needs to be. When playing a massive switch defense like we do, if you aren't dialed in it looks putrid. That will get cleaned up.

Tonight I expect a better performance all around and actually think we win by double digits fairly easily. Ill be doubling down on my Army bet, and am nowhere near off the train. Very very early and we need a pick me up before Uconn. I think we get that tonight. Uconn? That's a whole different animal, we better figure some shit out quick.

All Aboard!

Well we can't shoot, the entire team is lost on D, might as well call this one a season. Or, maybe we let this play out a bit more.

Everyone talked about how it was going to take some time to gel this year with all the new pieces, and guess what, it is gonna take awhile. Turnovers right now are a product of not knowing where to be and communication. The one thing that has been there for almost all the players is effort. They need to learn the system and what Woody wants out of them. Same can be said for Defense. Right now they are not trusting each other enough and the communication isn't where it needs to be. When playing a massive switch defense like we do, if you aren't dialed in it looks putrid. That will get cleaned up.

Tonight I expect a better performance all around and actually think we win by double digits fairly easily. Ill be doubling down on my Army bet, and am nowhere near off the train. Very very early and we need a pick me up before Uconn. I think we get that tonight. Uconn? That's a whole different animal, we better figure some shit out quick.

All Aboard!
Yeah, about the best I can convince myself to hope for, is see progress tonight and get a W vs WSU, not embarass ourselves against UConn, beat Lville and then find a way to take Auburn.

All Aboard!
I'm not aboard. this team needed MM to play like a top 10 freshman. he was highly overrated i suspected it when he went scoreless in the McDonalds game then backed out on Duke because he was afraid of the competition. I just don't see the talent or coaching for this team to win more than 15 games. I think they do cover tonight and did bet them. but i also think we get drilled Sunday by UConn, hope I'm wrong. will still watch every minute of every game this year.

So far, Wright State hasn't shot a ton of 3s. Their 2 guards are both really good, so that's a concern. But they're a different kind of team than our first two opponents.

I like the challenge. And while I'm sure I'll be on here at some point venting if we lose...mainly, I just hope for some progress and improvements. Better rotations defensively. Rebounding better. MM getting in the flow a little better.

So far, Wright State hasn't shot a ton of 3s. Their 2 guards are both really good, so that's a concern. But they're a different kind of team than our first two opponents.

I like the challenge. And while I'm sure I'll be on here at some point venting if we lose...mainly, I just hope for some progress and improvements. Better rotations defensively. Rebounding better. MM getting in the flow a little better.
This is a pretty telling game for MM in my opinion after being called out publicly by his head coach following the Army game. Last rough month and a half or so for him in general as he is likely facing adversity for the first time as an athlete. How he responds will go a long way in whatever direction.

All Aboard!
With the portal and freshman playing right away, it shouldnt take that long to gel. A lot of teams have new faces in the lineup and not struggling like we are. UK looked pretty impressive for all the new faces.
We have TG, X, MR all that have played significant minutes at IU in the past logging big time minutes this year.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
With the portal and freshman playing right away, it shouldnt take that long to gel. A lot of teams have new faces in the lineup and not struggling like we are. UK looked pretty impressive for all the new faces.
We have TG, X, MR all that have played significant minutes at IU in the past logging big time minutes this year.
Have to agree on this one. X, Trey, MR, KB, CJ, AL...all returning guys. Core things like our defense shouldn't be this rough. And I'm not buying the excuse that Malik is playing a different position, either. Basically since Woody arrived, we've switched nearly all screening action, and played the nail with big help.

Our defensive rotations should be things the guys on the list above know in their sleep.

I think we win pretty comfortably tonight, a solid 10+ point lead for the whole 2nd half with a win that covers, probably by about 15.

We may get smacked around by UCONN Sunday, but I bet we cover that spread and look better than we have all year. I said it after the Army game and will keep saying it, this is a mostly young team that is playing to their competition.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

All Aboard!
I hope someone steps up for IU and says I'm going to guard Calvin like glue. If not, then he'll go off for 35 on IU the way our perimeter D has played. Time to step it up Hoosiers!! It's your home turf,act like it!!

I hope someone steps up for IU and says I'm going to guard Calvin like glue. If not, then he'll go off for 35 on IU the way our perimeter D has played. Time to step it up Hoosiers!! It's your home turf,act like it!!
I wish Woody would just say X you are on him, fight through everything, no switching.

Reactions: kkott
6' guard, so should be a challenge X is hankering for! I think the problem with our perimeter D has mostly been all the switching so it should just be on X to fight through and stay with him. I know Gabe will try and stay with him, although I'm sure he'll take his lumps, but I feel like this is one of the better positions for us to contest defensively on the perimeter. We'll see!

This is a pretty telling game for MM in my opinion after being called out publicly by his head coach following the Army game. Last rough month and a half or so for him in general as he is likely facing adversity for the first time as an athlete. How he responds will go a long way in whatever direction.
Good call. This game is all about MM.

Its a horrible matchup...but purely for the motivational tool...if I'm Woody, I'd consider having MM start out on him. They switch off on most possessions anyway. Tell him..."you want to be in the NBA next year, you're gonna have to be able to keep up with people quicker, faster, and better than that guy. So go lock him down."

He'll respond, and have a few good possessions, switch him back after a bit, build on that.

For most of the game, X, Trey, Gabe... need to be dawg's defensively on Calvin and Holden.

Good call. This game is all about MM.

That's up there.

Confidence and establishing an offensive identity is up there for me.

I hope Woody and team recognize that it's not enough to be able to get to the 3 point line on D. Shooters on other teams nowadays are good from a step or two beyond the arc.

Sure, but it's a gamble to take -9.5 with this team. They were -25 against Army and it was a 1 point game with a few minutes left. I'll take IU to win, but I wouldn't put much down that they'll cover.
I hear ya but this just seems like one fo those games where they are sick of hearing the crap.

What did CMW say about MM after the Army game?

What did CMW say about MM after the Army game?
“[Mgbako] has to play harder and do the things that we want done on both ends of the floor,” Woodson said Sunday. “That might keep him in the game.”

Yeah, about the best I can convince myself to hope for, is see progress tonight and get a W vs WSU, not embarass ourselves against UConn, beat Lville and then find a way to take Auburn.
Speaking of WSU and UConn I gotta fun fact… Back in the mid-2000s, my step-sister was WSUs star womens bball player for a couple years. Her last season, she played against UConn and Guarded Sue Bird. Uconn ended up blowing them out by 50 or so with Bird getting 30pts, but my step-sis had a good 15pts against her. She always claims that UConns ladies took steroids because they were double their size.

I enjoy watching IU teams develop year-over-year. Lumps and all. (Based on some board comments I think I may be in the minority.)

I've never expected IU to be $$ from the start this year, we lost too much experience.
If you've ever coached or played, you'll understand that even with the same people growth and development happens in the off season, which changes every team. Some developments are good and some not so good.

This team has talent, but it is not an accomplished group yet. Roles still being sorted.

My expectations for this season (no order):
  • Make NCAA
  • Finish top half of B1G.
  • Beat PU (every time)
  • Make an unexpected, sweet 16
In the interim, I plan to enjoy as many games as possible watching CMW work his influence on our boys.
He's a hell of a coach however, he can't score or guard anyone. He must rely on young men, who he's known for a short time, to follow his guidance.
Pretty sure we won't suck by end of Jan.
Go Hoosiers!
Happy Holidays!

I'd consider having MM start out on him
I'm glad you're not coaching! Seriously, you've got a freshman struggling in all aspects and you want to put him on a crafty senior who is a good shooter/scorer, when he's especially struggled on the perimeter defensively? And, we have our own crafty senior who should match up well?

Why would you risk having MM lose even more confidence? I'd give him one of the easier covers, challenge him all the same, and try and run some stuff for him and get my upperclassmen guards to be looking for him whenever's he's open and get him some easy buckets. He needs confidence!

Reactions: BigMobe
I enjoy watching IU teams develop year-over-year. Lumps and all. (Based on some board comments I think I may be in the minority.)

I've never expected IU to be $$ from the start this year, we lost too much experience.
If you've ever coached or played, you'll understand that even with the same people growth and development happens in the off season, which changes every team. Some developments are good and some not so good.

This team has talent, but it is not an accomplished group yet. Roles still being sorted.

• Make NCAA
  • Beat PU (every time)
In the interim, I plan to enjoy as many games as possible watching CMW work his influence on our boys.
He's a hell of a coach however, he can't score or guard anyone. He must rely on young men, who he's known for a short time, to follow his guidance.
Go Hoosiers!
Happy Holidays!
I’m not convinced yet that he is a great college coach. He needs to coach to the roster he has built. I’m not sure any of us know what type of lineup and team he wants yet.

• Make NCAA
  • Beat PU (every time)
Go Hoosiers!
Happy Holidays!
I agree with your expectations. But I'm not at all sure that Woodson's a great coach yet. That's definitely TBD.

CMW is a great coach. I understand why some won't agree.

Is he a championship coach? Yes - See Pistons w Larry B.
Does he develop players? Yes - See TJD
Would you want your kid to play for him? I would.
Can he win at IU? I sure as hell hope so. He is by all accounts an excellent coach with a history of success who got us in the NCAA on the first run (it was ugly, but we were there).

Will he be the next one to post a banner. I hope for that too.

I do like this board. Thanks to all for engaging.

Go Hoosiers!

Considering where this program was at the end of the Miller era, I am thrilled at the first two seasons results.

As I said in another thread, the next time Woodson doesn’t reach the tournament or win a game in the tournament will be the first time.

I have no idea what the expectations are for a team playing 2 Srs with 5 Freshmen/Sophomore thus far. My expectations are for this team to take some lumps and hopefully be playing our best ball in February and March barring injuries.

I'm glad you're not coaching! Seriously, you've got a freshman struggling in all aspects and you want to put him on a crafty senior who is a good shooter/scorer, when he's especially struggled on the perimeter defensively? And, we have our own crafty senior who should match up well?

Why would you risk having MM lose even more confidence? I'd give him one of the easier covers, challenge him all the same, and try and run some stuff for him and get my upperclassmen guards to be looking for him whenever's he's open and get him some easy buckets. He needs confidence!
Personal experiences. MM's struggles, obviously, have been mental. Giving him a challenge like that will force his focus and resolve.

I was given a similar challenge early in my freshman year, and it completely changed my career trajectory.

Mackenzie is capable of doing things, I suspect, he's not aware yet that he's capable of doing...because he's never been asked to do it, or been put in that situation.

All you're looking for here is a possession or two of success, where Woody can put his arm around him and say..."I didn't expect you to lock him down the entire time...but you did have those two possessions...you are capable...you need to build on that."

Line is moving a crazy amount today. Obviously heavy betting on IU to cover so far.

Hopefully the betters are right!

Personal experiences. MM's struggles, obviously, have been mental. Giving him a challenge like that will force his focus and resolve.

I was given a similar challenge early in my freshman year, and it completely changed my career trajectory.

Mackenzie is capable of doing things, I suspect, he's not aware yet that he's capable of doing...because he's never been asked to do it, or been put in that situation.

All you're looking for here is a possession or two of success, where Woody can put his arm around him and say..."I didn't expect you to lock him down the entire time...but you did have those two possessions...you are capable...you need to build on that."
Nope, way too much at stake. Plenty of time to challenge him, you first need to get him comfortable and confident, and you'd then end up juggling your entire defensive matchups, when XJ is tailor made to guard their star and could use some challenging of his own! Give MM a more comfortable matchup and still challenge him, and if he does OK and we get a comfortable lead, then if you want to have the talk you're describing and try it for a couple possessions, OK. This was your George Costanza thought for the day, when he decided to go against his intuition!

Nope, way too much at stake. Plenty of time to challenge him, you first need to get him comfortable and confident, and you'd then end up juggling your entire defensive matchups, when XJ is tailor made to guard their star and could use some challenging of his own! Give MM a more comfortable matchup and still challenge him, and if he does OK and we get a comfortable lead, then if you want to have the talk you're describing and try it for a couple possessions, OK. This was your George Costanza thought for the day, when he decided to go against his intuition!
Its a few minutes, against Wright State, in game 3...its not all that outlandish. Its not like he could get any worse, defensively, than he's shown thus far.

Doesn't matter now, Calvin is out tonight.

CMW is a great coach. I understand why some won't agree.

Is he a championship coach? Yes - See Pistons w Larry B.
Does he develop players? Yes - See TJD
Would you want your kid to play for him? I would.
Can he win at IU? I sure as hell hope so. He is by all accounts an excellent coach with a history of success who got us in the NCAA on the first run (it was ugly, but we were there).

Will he be the next one to post a banner. I hope for that too.

I do like this board. Thanks to all for engaging.

Go Hoosiers!
You're throwing around the words "great" and "excellent" very liberally. I prefer to take a wait and see approach. I think he’s got a ways to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT