ADVERTISEMENT

60 yr old Vermont man died in a brawl at a middle school hoops game

Dude, they're paying refs like $150 a game (Ref - 70, linesmen 40 each) in the league my daughter plays in. I know, I used to hand them the money. And that was like 3-4 years ago.
Wow!!! That's amazing. I didn't know that. Goes to show how desperate they must be to get them. You should definitely do it. It was the shortage of refs that led our league to change the offsides rules and not have them. the youth leagues play games at the same time as us and it was obviously far more important for them to have them.

altho i will say no refs can get ugly. and i'm probably the league's worst offender. i throw real bad temper tantrums where if anyone gets near me i'll call foul. and i'll lay on top of the ball. or hold it behind my back when they are reaching for it. it's a shame. shit show. whatever.

let's just talk soccer. soccer soccer soccer. F bulk and univee

Wow!!! That's amazing. I didn't know that. Goes to show how desperate they must be to get them. You should definitely do it. It was the shortage of refs that led our league to change the offsides rules and not have them. the youth leagues play games at the same time as us and it was obviously far more important for them to have them.

altho i will say no refs can get ugly. and i'm probably the league's worst offender. i throw real bad temper tantrums where if anyone gets near me i'll call foul. and i'll lay on top of the ball. or hold it behind my back when they are reaching for it. it's a shame. shit show. whatever.

Yeah we saw games with two refs. One on each sideline. Either to cut cost or just b/c there weren't enough.

And yeah, unreffed games are a hoot. All the indoor shit was no ref until we got to the "championship" when one of the dudes who worked there would "ref" but really just talk to everyone on the field like a running commentary.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

A soccer riot. That’s what we need. A much needed Friday brawl.

I have this great cane I won’t need much longer. Would look great wrapped around someone’s head.

• Love

Temper tantrums are not going to attract soccer moms.

• Haha
A soccer riot. That’s what we need. A much needed Friday brawl.

I have this great cane I won’t need much longer. Would look great wrapped around someone’s head.
Well, soccer riots are generally the most violent. So there's that.

Reactions: Univee2
My son has played basketball with a kid since they were in 5th grade who's dad is usually an embarrassment at games. He's SO effin' annoying and embarrassing.

It hasn't happened yet, but I always assumed he'd get in trouble for arguing/fighting with someone at one of our kids' basketball games. He has one of those booming voices and is always yelling about 'bullshit' calls, yelling at other kids on the team to either shoot or pass, or just generally yelling about something. He's been thrown out of at least a handful of games. Sometimes, even when he hasn't been ejected, he makes a show of walking out in a huff.

I think it was their seventh grade year, he got tossed from a game and stood just outside the gym door in the cafeteria to watch. After a few plays, the ref realizes he's still there, stops the game and walks over to the guy and tells him he needs to leave the building or our team will have to forfeit the game. They argued for a bit until another dad walks over and essentially tells him to leave. The ref didn't start the game back up until he was assured that the guy got in his car. For what it's worth, the ref works a lot of youth sports and is generally known as a pretty nice guy.

My son is a senior and only has another couple weeks or so left of his season. There is a lot I'll miss about watching him play, but never seeing that kid's dad again isn't one of them.

What a psycho. Feel bad for the kid, that's got to be embarrassing. I bet he's a joy at home too

What a psycho. Feel bad for the kid, that's got to be embarrassing. I bet he's a joy at home too
Saw a dad down in Cincy storm the field after a game (he'd been screaming and shit the whole time) and the ref is like 18. His daughter had to come off the bench and push him back.

Kids were like 14.

Both of my boys played youth soccer. My wife and I were appalled by the parents behavior during and after games. Our happiest day was when they both came to us and said: "Dad we don't like soccer and don't want to play after this year".
They both wrestled, one played football the other lacrosse.

I don't think the parents were better in those sports just further from the action, and less involved by default.
Everyone gets a trophy., thanks libs

Reactions: Crayfish57
Both of my boys played youth soccer. My wife and I were appalled by the parents behavior during and after games. Our happiest day was when they both came to us and said: "Dad we don't like soccer and don't want to play after this year".
They both wrestled, one played football the other lacrosse.

I don't think the parents were better in those sports just further from the action, and less involved by default.
When my daughter played volleyball I just showed up, cheered and encouraged the team, and went home. Why do I want to get mad and have a bad night?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT