ADVERTISEMENT

60 yr old Vermont man died in a brawl at a middle school hoops game

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
we really do seem to be circling the drain. wtf. insanity.

Reactions: DANC
In the past 8 years or so I've seen 3 grown men have to be physically restrained from assaulting a teeange (or thereabouts) referee during a girls soccer game.

Each time I laughed while completely forgetting to record it.

• Wow
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
In the past 8 years or so I've seen 3 grown men have to be physically restrained from assaulting a teeange (or thereabouts) referee during a girls soccer game.

Each time I laughed while completely forgetting to record it.
Both of my boys played youth soccer. My wife and I were appalled by the parents behavior during and after games. Our happiest day was when they both came to us and said: "Dad we don't like soccer and don't want to play after this year".
They both wrestled, one played football the other lacrosse.

I don't think the parents were better in those sports just further from the action, and less involved by default.

Both of my boys played youth soccer. My wife and I were appalled by the parents behavior during and after games. Our happiest day was when they both came to us and said: "Dad we don't like soccer and don't want to play after this year".

I don't think the parents were better in those sports just further from the action, and less involved by default.
I have considered getting a referee license for soccer after the kid is off to college (couple more years). I wonder if they'd treat me the same way.

I've seen parents mouth off to adult referees but nothing really over the top. Couple dudes got thrown out but they didn't try to get on the field.

I think you're right about the proximity. If they were in the bleachers they'd have to haul thier fat asses ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE FIELD.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I could see it happening in Indiana or Kentucky. But Vermont?
Maybe at a maple syrup tasting contest, but basketball, in Vermont.

This is a national travesty.

We need a federal govt. task force looking into the state of officiating at every level. I mean, until refs learn how to call the 3-second rule properly, fights will naturally persist. End the insanity, Joe Biden!

IU doesn’t have a chance. Purdue learned that the recipe for success is to pair an 8 foot guy with a white guy suffering from early onset male pattern baldness. Both will have fires in their bellies
At least United might get to lift the Moose Cup, otherwise my fandom is a bit dry.

IU doesn’t have a chance. Purdue learned that the recipe for success is to pair an 8 foot guy with a white guy suffering from early onset male pattern baldness. Both will have fires in their bellies
I have to agree. I don't see us stopping Edey this year. I think Purdue sweeps us. Will be happy if I'm wrong.

This crazy lady came across my feed the other day. I didn't watch it with sound so I don't know what she's saying, but her husband must have wanted to crawl away and die.

Ban soccer in the US and fix this abomination.

Ban soccer in the US and fix this abomination.
how-about-no-sloth.gif

Who knew they even played basketball in Vermont?
As further evidence that my mind is filled with useless knowledge, the made me think of Taylor Coppenrath. Didn't he take Vermont to an NCAA tourney or two and score a TON of points?

Reactions: larsIU
I could see it happening in Indiana or Kentucky. But Vermont?
Maybe at a maple syrup tasting contest, but basketball, in Vermont.
My son has played basketball with a kid since they were in 5th grade who's dad is usually an embarrassment at games. He's SO effin' annoying and embarrassing.

It hasn't happened yet, but I always assumed he'd get in trouble for arguing/fighting with someone at one of our kids' basketball games. He has one of those booming voices and is always yelling about 'bullshit' calls, yelling at other kids on the team to either shoot or pass, or just generally yelling about something. He's been thrown out of at least a handful of games. Sometimes, even when he hasn't been ejected, he makes a show of walking out in a huff.

I think it was their seventh grade year, he got tossed from a game and stood just outside the gym door in the cafeteria to watch. After a few plays, the ref realizes he's still there, stops the game and walks over to the guy and tells him he needs to leave the building or our team will have to forfeit the game. They argued for a bit until another dad walks over and essentially tells him to leave. The ref didn't start the game back up until he was assured that the guy got in his car. For what it's worth, the ref works a lot of youth sports and is generally known as a pretty nice guy.

My son is a senior and only has another couple weeks or so left of his season. There is a lot I'll miss about watching him play, but never seeing that kid's dad again isn't one of them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I have considered getting a referee license for soccer after the kid is off to college (couple more years). I wonder if they'd treat me the same way.

I've seen parents mouth off to adult referees but nothing really over the top. Couple dudes got thrown out but they didn't try to get on the field.

I think you're right about the proximity. If they were in the bleachers they'd have to haul thier fat asses ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE FIELD.
Two entertaining stories, i think anyway. One of my best friends moved to houston years ago. big time soccer player. olympic team etc. so i flew down to see him and we were going to his son's game on a saturday morning. great outdoor facility. big nice stand at midfield. so i'm walking over to the stands and he goes no, no, see that chalk square about 20 yards behind the corner flag. i go yeah. he goes that's where i have to stand to watch games now. it was a deal the league cut with me. i was crying laughing. we stood for 90 minutes in a chalk square 20 yards behind the corner flag to watch the game.

i think in some ways i'm lucky to have a daughter who is quite possibly the worst athlete i've ever seen

speaking of refs in high school this guy used to pull up to our 3:30 games in a suit. undress in the backseat of his car and proceed to ref high school soccer. he was the president of anheuser busch at the time. denny long. real neat

Two entertaining stories, i think anyway. One of my best friends moved to houston years ago. big time soccer player. olympic team etc. so i flew down to see him and we were going to his son's game on a saturday morning. great outdoor facility. big nice stand at midfield. so i'm walking over to the stands and he goes no, no, see that chalk square about 20 yards behind the corner flag. i go yeah. he goes that's where i have to stand to watch games now. it was a deal the league cut with me. i was crying laughing. we stood for 90 minutes in a chalk square 20 yards behind the corner flag to watch the game.

i think in some ways i'm lucky to have a daughter who is quite possibly the worst athlete i've ever seen

speaking of refs in high school this guy used to pull up to our 3:30 games in a suit. undress in the backseat of his car and proceed to ref high school soccer. he was the president of anheuser busch at the time. denny long. real neat
Like most people (I suppose) I want to give back, but only at a time, place, and event of my choosing. Sue me.

It's a good way to stay in shape too. beats jogging. you should do it.
My dad was an all-state high school basketball player, played at an NAIA college and took up marathon running in 30s and 40s.

Other than kicking the ball into the goal being the main objective, I don't think he knew the first thing about soccer until my youngest sister started playing. He ended up getting really into it and loved watching her play. They always seemed to be looking for refs, so he took some classes and got certified as a soccer ref. He mostly did middle school and JV games, but he did eventually do some girls' varsity games. He doesn't do it anymore, but he did it for at least a few years after my sister graduated high school.

For what it's worth he said he really enjoyed doing it. He comes to my daughter's high school games now and explains to me why someone was/wasn't off sides.

My dad was an all-state high school basketball player, played at an NAIA college and took up marathon running in 30s and 40s.

Other than kicking the ball into the goal being the main objective, I don't think he knew the first thing about soccer until my youngest sister started playing. He ended up getting really into it and loved watching her play. They always seemed to be looking for refs, so he took some classes and got certified as a soccer ref. He mostly did middle school and JV games, but he did eventually do some girls' varsity games. He doesn't do it anymore, but he did it for at least a few years after my sister graduated high school.

For what it's worth he said he really enjoyed doing it. He comes to my daughter's high school games now and explains to me why someone was/wasn't off sides.
That’s awesome!! Finding refs here is a real struggle. My men’s league doesn’t use them. No offsides and call our own fouls

Reactions: larsIU and Ohio Guy
This is a national travesty.

We need a federal govt. task force looking into the state of officiating at every level. I mean, until refs learn how to call the 3-second rule properly, fights will naturally persist. End the insanity, Joe Biden!
Nah we don't need that. We already know that Trump and Desantis are to blame. :)

So true. Middle aged men making $9 an hour in a horrible yellow shirt that doesn’t fit right is a major turn on for the younger set

I’m weak
Dude, they're paying refs like $150 a game (Ref - 70, linesmen 40 each) in the league my daughter plays in. I know, I used to hand them the money. And that was like 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT