ADVERTISEMENT

#6 vs #9 Womens

Same, I'm just starved for solid, smart basketball. That's what Coach Moren puts on the floor. Good chance I'll watch them more than the men the rest of the season unless things change.
Read the story on the newstand and, 1) it's true, and 2) all I could think is this is what I wish was being said about our men's team.

that's one of the things that drives me crazy about our men's team. I don't know that I've ever seen a team more careless in how they pass the ball. All they seem to care about is that their teammate gets the ball. Little thought about getting it to them quickly and where they need it to get a shot up. Folks complain about Kopp not getting enough shots up. If he's having to receive a bounce pass, or the ball away from his shooting pocket, that's often the difference between getting a good shot attempt up, or not. We certainly don't help ourselves here often.

The girls just play the right way. Good hustle and effort all the time and no sulking if there's a bad play, they pick themselves up and get after the next play with no thought to what just happened. They also take the ball up in traffic and get rewarded frequently with a basket or FT attempts. Also something I wish our guys did more often. Watching our guys team right now usually puts me in a bad mood and the girls last night made me happy with how they play.
Spot on sir!

Reactions: kkott
Just saw that the women play at 2pm today. Such a fun team to watch. For anyone who saw, what happened vs MSU? I don't really follow women's bball beyond the Hoosiers, but assumed they were probably a good team, but they're having a pretty sub par year otherwise it looks like from their record.

Just saw that the women play at 2pm today. Such a fun team to watch. For anyone who saw, what happened vs MSU? I don't really follow women's bball beyond the Hoosiers, but assumed they were probably a good team, but they're having a pretty sub par year otherwise it looks like from their record.

If I recall the box score correctly, they had 21 turnovers maybe, Grace was out, and a road game.

An uphill climb.

Reactions: kkott
I don't think they were expecting MSU to come out as aggressive as they did and it set them back on their heels. MSU played them tough and earned the win.

Can you direct me to the story you’re referring to? Thanks
Think it was the write up after the MD game. I don't see it and not sure how to search past articles. Just talked about how composed they were and how well they responded to MD's run to tie the game.

Even when UTenn was on a two season undefeated streak, their male practice squad was only allowed to go at about 80% effort to keep the scrimmage competitive and not dominate the women. I forget who but a national ranked college team played a summer trip exhibition against an Aussie boys HS team because one the the women's teams they had lined up bailed on them, the women lost by 30

Without fail, almost every discussion of IU's very successful women's basketball team devolves into discussions about what level of men's basketball they could compete against. Eight billion threads about the men's team and it rarely comes up whether they could compete against an NBA team or a G-league team or a Euro pro team (spoiler - they couldn't). But someone says "did you see what the women's team did" and every smartest guy in the room crawls over each other to say "BUT THEY COULDN'T BEAT A 6TH GRADE AAU TEAM!!!"

Next time you find yourself pondering that question, my advice is to remind yourself it doesn't f'n matter because, in case you've not noticed, the women do not schedule games against men's teams.

What they have been doing recently is winning games, winning conference games, beating good opponents, winning post-season games, hanging a banner, getting ranked, staying out of the newspaper other than the sports pages, and generally being fun to watch.

I'm not one to say you should support the women's teams equal to the men's team because that's the equitable thing to do. I am one to say the current women's team has definitely earned the increased support they're getting and if you choose to not pay attention because you consider women's basketball a lesser version of the sport, then that's your loss.

Of course I'd also question why you've watched the men's team the last 20 years or so if the quality of basketball you're watching is of concern to you.

Without fail, almost every discussion of IU's very successful women's basketball team devolves into discussions about what level of men's basketball they could compete against. Eight billion threads about the men's team and it rarely comes up whether they could compete against an NBA team or a G-league team or a Euro pro team (spoiler - they couldn't). But someone says "did you see what the women's team did" and every smartest guy in the room crawls over each other to say "BUT THEY COULDN'T BEAT A 6TH GRADE AAU TEAM!!!"

Next time you find yourself pondering that question, my advice is to remind yourself it doesn't f'n matter because, in case you've not noticed, the women do not schedule games against men's teams.

What they have been doing recently is winning games, winning conference games, beating good opponents, winning post-season games, hanging a banner, getting ranked, staying out of the newspaper other than the sports pages, and generally being fun to watch.

I'm not one to say you should support the women's teams equal to the men's team because that's the equitable thing to do. I am one to say the current women's team has definitely earned the increased support they're getting and if you choose to not pay attention because you consider women's basketball a lesser version of the sport, then that's your loss.

Of course I'd also question why you've watched the men's team the last 20 years or so if the quality of basketball you're watching is of concern to you.
Mic drop.

My thoughts exactly that you communicated much more eloquently than I would have done.

If you liked Knight/Keady ball, you should love watching the women play. Fundamentally sound basketball without all the crap NBA style punking and dunking. Its team ball versus NBA style two man games and five out drive dish or dunk shit show the men's game has become.

If you liked Knight/Keady ball, you should love watching the women play. Fundamentally sound basketball without all the crap NBA style punking and dunking. Its team ball versus NBA style two man games and five out drive dish or dunk shit show the men's game has become.
I've tried watching. it is what is, if someone enjoys watching an inferior game, that's up to them, I also don't see the need to be critical of those who find it hard to watch.

When my daughter played 6th grade basketball, I went to the games an enjoyed it. but once she retired, I quit going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT