ADVERTISEMENT

54 Prominent Republicans who will not vote for Trump

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
Those who will vote for Clinton

1. Mark Salter, former aide and speechwriter for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)

2. David Ross Meyers, former White House staffer under George W. Bush, former communications adviser for the Senate Republican Leadership*

3. Eliot Cohen, counselor of the Department of State during President George W. Bush’s administration

4. Max Boot, foreign policy adviser to Sen. Marco Rubio, Council on Foreign Relations fellowen. Marco Rubio, Council on Foreign Relations fellow

5. Ben Howe, contributing editor to the conservative website RedState*

6. Jamie Weinstein, senior editor, Daily Caller*

Those who will vote for neither Trump nor Clinton

7. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.)

8. Mitt Romney, 2012 GOP nominee, former Massachusetts governor*

9. Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.)

10. Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.)

11. Gov. Charlie Baker (R-Mass.)

12. Patrick Ruffini, Republican strategist and early #NeverTrump adopter*

13. Rep. Richard Hanna (R-NY)*

14. Former Gov. Christine Todd Whitman (R-NJ)

15. Tim Miller, former spokesman for Jeb Bush, adviser to Our Principles, an anti-Trump super PAC

16. Peter Wehner, GOP strategist

17. Liz Mair, GOP strategist

18. Rick Wilson, Republican operative

19. Former Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.)

20. Former Sen. Norm Coleman (R-M.N.), Congressional Leadership Fund chairman

21. Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)*

22. Stuart Stevens, top strategist, Romney 2012

23. Kevin Madden, former Mitt Romney communications director

24. Ken Mehlman, former Republican National Committee chairman

25. Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard

26. Erick Erickson, conservative commentator, former editor of RedState, founder of The Resurgent

27. Steve Deace, conservative commentator and radio talk show host

28. Mark Levin, conservative radio host*

29. Brian Bartlett, GOP communications strategist

30. Jay Caruso, contributing editor at RedState*

31. Linda Chavez, conservative columnist*

32. Mindy Finn, GOP media strategist and president of Empowered Women*

33. Jon Gabriel, editor-in-chief of Ricochet*

34. Stephen Hayes, senior writer at The Weekly Standard

35. Glenn Beck, host of The Glenn Beck Program and founder of TheBlaze

36. Dave Yost, Ohio auditor of state*

37. Nathan Wurtzel, Make America Awesome Again super PAC*

38. George Will, Washington Post columnist and Fox News commentator*

39. Bruce Carroll, creator of GayPatriot.org*

40. Mona Charen, senior fellow at Ethics and Public Policy Center*

41. Dean Clancy, former FreedomWorks vice president*

42. Rory Cooper, GOP strategist, managing director of Purple Strategies, senior advisor to the Never Trump PAC*

43. Daniel Vajdich, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, national security policy adviser to the Ted Cruz campaign*

44. Rep. Bob Dold (R-Illinois)*

45. Michael Graham, conservative radio host*

46. Former Rep. J.C. Watts (R-Okla.)*

47. Connor Walsh, former digital director for Eric Cantor, founder of Build Digital*

48. Jonah Goldberg, senior editor at National Review*

49. Jeb Bush, 2016 Republican presidential candidate

50. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), former 2016 presidential candidate*

51. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.)*

52. Alan Goldsmith, former staffer, House Foreign Affairs Committee

53. Stephen Gutowski, Free Beacon staff writer

54. Ross Douthat, New York Times columnist

It will be interesting to watch how it all plays out on the GOP side. Those politicians who are at the end of their career will likely endorse Clinton or publicly state their decision to not support Trump. Those that are up for election or worried about their future political opportunities will either support Trump (weak endorsement) or try to play both sides. Few will throw their full weight behind an endorsement of Trump. There will be a remarkable number of politicians who stay away from the GOP convention this year. Trump will try and put his "producer" hat on the convention and make it the spectator event of the year. Huge ratings leading to a November disaster. Clint Eastwood having a conversation with a chair will look brilliant in comparison.

But I bet the parties will be wild!

In this kind of political environment, and for a candidate like The Donald, I'm not so sure this is a negative thing.

I think for most conventional candidates in most conventional environments, this would obviously be problematic. But given that Trump has gotten where he is running against the Republican establishment, I suspect he'll actually crow about it.

BTW, remember when the kerfuffle over the "loyalty oath" that the Republican candidates signed? The thinking going into that, I gather, was that Trump would eventually implode and they didn't want him going 3rd party. So Trump signed a document stating that he'd support the eventual nominee -- and so did the other candidates, as I recall.

There are two names on that list who were candidates.

Reactions: hoot1
It may not be a negative for Trump, but it will be a DISASTER for the GOP. Trump's ego will take a huge beating in November, but he'll still be a billionaire with a following. Remember, Trump has a remarkable low ceiling right now. His only chance to make this race a non disaster is to move to the center of GOP establishment. Right now he's picking a fight with most prominent conservative leaders. It only narrows his base. We'll see most conservative leaders try and focus on house and senate seats, conceding the race for president. The interesting races will be with those republican senators up for election. They're screwed if they endorse Trump and screwed if they don't.

Donald Trump is a vulgar, racist, sexist, buffoonish huckster. He's a cartoon character. A punchline. An embarrassment. And he's the guy that Republican primary voters have selected to be their presidential candidate.

It's irrelevant what "mainstream" Republican elites have to say about it. Republican voters have decided what their party is all about. That is the ugly truth.

[Edit: Initially forgot "sexist".]

In this kind of political environment, and for a candidate like The Donald, I'm not so sure this is a negative thing.

I think for most conventional candidates in most conventional environments, this would obviously be problematic. But given that Trump has gotten where he is running against the Republican establishment, I suspect he'll actually crow about it.

BTW, remember when the kerfuffle over the "loyalty oath" that the Republican candidates signed? The thinking going into that, I gather, was that Trump would eventually implode and they didn't want him going 3rd party. So Trump signed a document stating that he'd support the eventual nominee -- and so did the other candidates, as I recall.

Trump has historic unfavorables among women, nonwhites, and young people. He can't win without an historic number of white guys. He doesn't have a single white guy to spare, and he does himself no favors gratuitously offending Republicans.

The political class is all about protecting the political class.

Why else would a character such as Trump and a certifiable loon such as Sanders be anywhere close to the presidency? Let's just send everything we earn to Washington and the surrounding counties in Virginia and Maryland. As with the Romans, they can placate us with bread and gladiatorial games, in addition to free education, free healthcare, complete income equality, one bathroom and one locker room for all and Kerry's removal of all borders. Is it any wonder that politicians of all stripes are universally reviled. And. We're. About. To. Put. One. Of. The. Absolutely. Worst. In. Hillary. Clinton. In. The. White. House. Good freaking God.

Every Republican, every conservative, every libertarian who votes for Hillary or contributes to Hillary's victory by sitting out will have to answer for the damage caused to this country when Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, a renegade DOJ, a politicized IRS and an out-of-control, liberalized Supreme Court turn this country upside down.

Black is white; up is down; abnormal is normal. Alas, Babylon.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Why else would a character such as Trump and a certifiable loon such as Sanders be anywhere close to the presidency? Let's just send everything we earn to Washington and the surrounding counties in Virginia and Maryland. As with the Romans, they can placate us with bread and gladiatorial games, in addition to free education, free healthcare, complete income equality, one bathroom and one locker room for all and Kerry's removal of all borders. Is it any wonder that politicians of all stripes are universally reviled. And. We're. About. To. Put. One. Of. The. Absolutely. Worst. In. Hillary. Clinton. In. The. White. House. Good freaking God.

Every Republican, every conservative, every libertarian who votes for Hillary or contributes to Hillary's victory by sitting out will have to answer for the damage caused to this country when Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, a renegade DOJ, a politicized IRS and an out-of-control, liberalized Supreme Court turn this country upside down.

Black is white; up is down; abnormal is normal. Alas, Babylon.

OK. Hillary is (or will be) in my estimation, possibly one of the most corrupt individuals to ascend to the Presidency in my lifetime. That said, what is your alternative? Trump? As distasteful as an HRC Presidency might seem, don't you think the damage from a Trump Presidency would be worse for the Republican Party?

I haven't voted for a Republican Presidential candidate since 2000, and I won't this year either. I'd like to again one day but I honestly believe Trump 2016* has wrecked the party to such an extent that I may never see another Republican in the WH in my lifetime.

Hillary is the lesser evil of two outcomes this year. She'll win, but thankfully without my vote.

*EDIT: By Trump 2016 I actually mean the Trump supporters that allowed this to happen. Trump is a buffoon but could not have accomplished this destruction with the moronic masses who latched onto him.

Last edited:

Why else would a character such as Trump and a certifiable loon such as Sanders be anywhere close to the presidency?
Why is Sanders a loon? That you disagree with him doesn't count.

Sanders is likely the sanest candidate running for the office.

At least he knows how ridiculous our war efforts have been but is the best friend our veterans have in politics.

His judgement has been backed up by what has played out. huh...

Insanity is 70 years of war w/o winning jack but body bags and debt for America.

Sanders is likely the sanest candidate running for the office.

At least he knows how ridiculous our war efforts have been but is the best friend our veterans have in politics.
His judgement has been backed up by what has played out. huh...

Insanity is 70 years of war w/o winning jack but body bags and debt for America.

Univee2 might disagree with you. He thinks Sanders is a loon. A loon does not know that 70 years of war w/o winning is insane. Besides, you are wrong that we have not won. Pres. Reagan beat the shit out of the Caribbean power, Grenada! That is a tremendous accomplishment, don't you think?

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Univee2 might disagree with you. He thinks Sanders is a loon. A loon does not know that 70 years of war w/o winning is insane. Besides, you are wrong that we have not won. Pres. Reagan beat the shit out of the Caribbean power, Grenada! That is a tremendous accomplishment, don't you think?

meh, I consider that just a policing action not an actual conflict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT