ADVERTISEMENT

52 yard field goal attempt with seven and a half minutes left in the game

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
To me it felt like the Hoosiers staff was giving up on both the offense and the defense.

With a draw up the middle to set up said 52 yard FG. They’re horrible.

After the decision to attempt the field goal Hoosiers give up about 40 yards in the exchange and then 1st and 10 on the 12 yard line. Second and 13 on the 9-yard line. Pick six. Game over!

After the decision to attempt the field goal Hoosiers give up about 40 yards in the exchange and then 1st and 10 on the 12 yard line. Second and 13 on the 9-yard line. Pick six. Game over!
Not only are our coaches not preparing the players leading into the games, obviously. They also hurting them with their horrible in game calls and decisions. Tough combo.

Enjoy watching McCullough and Lucas and other young talent the rest of the year. They’ll transfer I’m sure. I just hope for their sake, that our coaches don’t ruin them somehow before then.

Reactions: IUgradman
Point me to a single coach in the country that doesn't kick the field goal there.

It was 4th and a mile and that kick was for a tie with a kicker who absolutely could have made it.
I don't understand why anybody would kick that. The alternative was to force Rutgers get the ball deep on their own side of the field. An Indiana stop would have given the Hoosiers another opportunity for excellent field position and increase the probability of working for a touchdown. The field goal would have given them a tie and that 52 yard kick was very unlikely. Tom Allen essentially said I don't trust the defense to hold them and I'm not confident that the Hoosiers on offense can drive for a touchdown even with decent field position. So let's try a Hail Mary. Game over.

For more than a decade I've been watching Indiana coaches scratch their heads and not understand when they should punt the ball.

Reactions: bang63
Campbell came to IU as a highly touted kicker……and guess what has happened after 4 seasons with Uncle Tommy?
You know it. The kid has gotten worse and worse each grade.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
We have a good FG kicker, who we expected to hit that FG. If he hits it, the pick 6 likely never happens and we have a totally different game. The problem was the penalties that caused us to have a 4th and forever in the first place.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
You expected him to make a 52-yard field goal?
We have a good FG kicker, who we expected to hit that FG. If he hits it, the pick 6 likely never happens and we have a totally different game. The problem was the penalties that caused us to have a 4th and forever in the first place.
The chances of hitting the 50-yard field goal are about 35%. So the odds were that he was going to miss the field goal. And that gave Rutgers the first down at their own 35-yard line.

I forget if Rutgers got a first down or not but they ended up punting the ball and Indiana got the ball back at their own 12-yard line. If they had pooch punted it it is reasonable to assume that Rutgers would have got the ball back at about their own 10 yard line. Assuming the following series played out the same way Indiana lost about 40 yards of field position by attempting a field goal that was likely to be missed. And even if the field goal was made it would have been a tie.

Either the punt the ball or go for the first down.

You expected him to make a 52-yard field goal?

The chances of hitting the 50-yard field goal are about 35%. So the odds were that he was going to miss the field goal. And that gave Rutgers the first down at their own 35-yard line.

I forget if Rutgers got a first down or not but they ended up punting the ball and Indiana got the ball back at their own 12-yard line. If they had pooch punted it it is reasonable to assume that Rutgers would have got the ball back at about their own 10 yard line. Assuming the following series played out the same way Indiana lost about 40 yards of field position by attempting a field goal that was likely to be missed. And even if the field goal was made it would have been a tie.

Either the punt the ball or go for the first down.
I don't know many coaches that punt the ball on the +35 especially when you have a field goal kicker who is quite capable of hitting from 52. But it is easy to question the decision when the kicker miss hits the ball and misses the kick.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT