ADVERTISEMENT

3 plays Saturday that might have gone unnoticed

secondasky

Junior
Sep 8, 2013
1. Reese Taylor punt return- It was only 10 yards but he ran about 15 yd sideways to get the other 10. He really showed some speed (that I don't think Whop even has) and gave us good field position.

2. David Ellis 39 yd kickoff return. Once again great field position during an important time in the game.

3. Brohms call to go for it on 4th and 2 in the first half. We held them and got the ball around the 46 yd line of purdue.

1. Reese Taylor punt return- It was only 10 yards but he ran about 15 yd sideways to get the other 10. He really showed some speed (that I don't think Whop even has) and gave us good field position.

2. David Ellis 39 yd kickoff return. Once again great field position during an important time in the game.

3. Brohms call to go for it on 4th and 2 in the first half. We held them and got the ball around the 46 yd line of purdue.

Thought Brohm was going to burst a blood vessel after the Penguins spotted the ball on the fourth and 2 (both before and after the review).

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thought Brohm was going to burst a blood vessel after the Penguins spotted the ball on the fourth and 2 (both before and after the review).

I watched that play repeatedly and their QB never came close to the 1st down yard to gain. I slow-mo’d it, stopped it, looked for anything that might indicate he got a first down. He didn’t. He was stood up.
Regardless of the spot, he never got to the line.

I was holding my breath on the Taylor Punt return. probably 75% of the time a returner runs that far sideways and changes or reverses field, you end up with blocking foul on the return team.

i kept waiting for PU to demand a remeasure after the chains were already moved, because they saw a kink in the chain.
It happened in 1968. I was there as a 14 year old and remember we had PU stopped at almost that exact spot. Stopped them on 4th down. They measured and it was our ball. Then, after the chain gang went back to the sideline, they came back and measured again. Miraculously, it was a 1st down for Purdue and they came back to win on a pass to Leroy Keyes.

Don't think that didn't go through my mind Saturday.

I'll add 3 more because why not:

1. Most underrated play in my eyes was Jaylin Williams downing the ball on the 2 with 2 minutes to go. One false move there, and they start from the 20, and I'm guessing they score to win.
2. Miles Marshall's toe tap sideline grab on 3rd down.
3 is really two plays, but...Ramsey's two 3rd and long scrambles. Each had a high degree of difficulty.

It happened in 1968. I was there as a 14 year old and remember we had PU stopped at almost that exact spot. Stopped them on 4th down. They measured and it was our ball. Then, after the chain gang went back to the sideline, they came back and measured again. Miraculously, it was a 1st down for Purdue and they came back to win on a pass to Leroy Keyes.

Don't think that didn't go through my mind Saturday.

I was an IU freshman that fall and at the game ... oh yes, the old rubber chain reversal as we referred to it.

Go Hoosiers!

I'll add 3 more because why not:

1. Most underrated play in my eyes was Jaylin Williams downing the ball on the 2 with 2 minutes to go. One false move there, and they start from the 20, and I'm guessing they score to win.
2. Miles Marshall's toe tap sideline grab on 3rd down.
3 is really two plays, but...Ramsey's two 3rd and long scrambles. Each had a high degree of difficulty.

good call on Williams' downing that ball.

that was huge, and a great play.

And more from CTA:
Having the guts to bring Campbell in for that field goal
Having the foresight to let Justus kick the ex pt and give him some confidence back
Justus pouting on the sideline was not a good look for him. So much for LEO.....

He should've been grateful that Campbell made the kick - twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT