ADVERTISEMENT

3 2019 recruits in the transfer portal

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Per the Crimson Quarry, Hunter Combs, AJ Hacker, and Joe Wilkinson are all in the baseball transfer portal.

Per the Crimson Quarry, Hunter Combs, AJ Hacker, and Joe Wilkinson are all in the baseball transfer portal.

Crowded pitching roster, Hacker showed potential but so did many others.
Unfortunately the catching situation remains a major concern. Combs didn’t impress last fall and saw almost no time this season. Does Hopkins come back, does Voth? Voth suddenly disappeared from the roster just before the curtain dropped on the season. I haven’t found the baseball portal and have no idea what the deal with Voth is.

Would think Coach Mercer is looking at catchers in the portal himself.

Crowded pitching roster, Hacker showed potential but so did many others.
Unfortunately the catching situation remains a major concern. Combs didn’t impress last fall and saw almost no time this season. Does Hopkins come back, does Voth? Voth suddenly disappeared from the roster just before the curtain dropped on the season. I haven’t found the baseball portal and have no idea what the deal with Voth is.

Would think Coach Mercer is looking at catchers in the portal himself.

Yes.....the story from C.Q. that referred to the baseball portal linked a pay site....

Great point about whether Hopkins will or won't be back........I think he had been a positive surprise in the limited play of this year. He was never going to throw anybody out on the bases but he apparently was playing very nice D otherwise. And his offense had been better that he had previously shown.

We did have a 2nd freshman recruit at C in '19.....Matt Lerner from GA.......I didn't see him on the roster and don't know his status. In any event, he was apparently was running behind Voth.

I do like what I've seen and read concerning Joe Reid, a '20 recruit from Ozark, MO. He was originally committed to OK State, has nice size for a C, and (apparently) good defensive skills and some power.....but you're right....I hope and expect coach is looking at the portal...and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take two Cs if he can find them.

Yes.....the story from C.Q. that referred to the baseball portal linked a pay site....

Great point about whether Hopkins will or won't be back........I think he had been a positive surprise in the limited play of this year. He was never going to throw anybody out on the bases but he apparently was playing very nice D otherwise. And his offense had been better that he had previously shown.

We did have a 2nd freshman recruit at C in '19.....Matt Lerner from GA.......I didn't see him on the roster and don't know his status. In any event, he was apparently was running behind Voth.

I do like what I've seen and read concerning Joe Reid, a '20 recruit from Ozark, MO. He was originally committed to OK State, has nice size for a C, and (apparently) good defensive skills and some power.....but you're right....I hope and expect coach is looking at the portal...and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take two Cs if he can find them.

The good thing about Hopkins is that his family should be able to afford for him to come back if he wants to.....his dad is Brad Hopkins and his brother will get a nice signing bonus from some NFL team soon (Brycen).

Great point about whether Hopkins will or won't be back........I think he had been a positive surprise in the limited play of this year. He was never going to throw anybody out on the bases

He threw out 2 of the 9 attempts against him. Not great, but certainly not "never". And I'm sure some of those 7 are on the pitchers. I recall seeing one on social media (1 of the 2, I guess), and it was an absolute perfect throw on a strike 'em out, throw 'em out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT