ADVERTISEMENT

247Composite updated for 2019 class...

I like Archie still...I think he can be successful here. But I don’t think it’s necessary to overinflate his first year either.

To be honest it was a major letdown. Losing to both Indiana State and Fort Wayne by 20+ was ridiculous. Losing to Rutgers in the first round of the BTT was pathetic. We didn’t have Big Ten Championship talent but we had some talent and experience to do better than we did imo. And I was probably Crean’s biggest critic since year 3 and I think he wins 16 games easily last year with that team.

Again, I don’t want to be overly critical of Archie but last year would not be an example I’d use of a great coaching job. Just saying.

Um Crean won 18 games the year prior (7 in the conference) while having two five stars and a first round draft pick.

Surely as the guy who prefers looking at lists made by non basketball dudes as the end all be all you would say that was a much bigger deal than most.

Especially when he replaced those two five stars and first round NBA picks (who were sophomores and juniors) with Smith, Moore and Durham as freshmen.

Wow...he won an incredible two more cupcake games and again, two less conference games.

I actually think Crean might have won 1 or 2 more nonconference games with last year's team just based on them not having to learn a new system so early in the season. That being said they would have likely finished a couple of spots lower in the Big Ten like a lot of the pundits predicted.

Crean's teams weren't conducive to winning in the Big Ten consistently because they were to easy to slow down, turned it over way too much, and always lacked in key spots on the roster(point guard play, shooting, and size). When he didn't have an overwhelming amount of talent his one dimensional style was too easily negated.

I thought Archie did "okay" with what he had last year, and now with the top rated class in conference they should be much better this year. I agree with fpeaugh in that to get to where we all want IU to go (final 4s and national titles)Archie has to be able to consistently recruit at a high level as well, it isn't all coaching. He needs to be able to pile top classes on top of eachother. My gut instinct is that he will do just fine, but for us to land some of these top rated kids going forward he has to prove it on the court starting this year.

Either way the benchmark shouldn’t be Crean. Being better than Tommy B isn’t really telling us much. You could be Coach K or Matt Painter by that measurement alone.

All I’m saying is it wasn’t a fantastic coaching display year 1. I think most fans would admit it was disappointing. Doesn’t change anything about my excitement for the future though!

There is no way in hell hes going to Kentucky. I don’t care if he had 100% crystal ball picks. He’s going to want to play right away and cal doesn’t guarantee that to anyone. It sucks cause I really like his game. Hell, if Archie could shut down the boards of Indiana for the top kids you guys will be special sooner rather than later. Indiana produces a lot of talent
I wouldn’t say there’s no chance he goes to Kentucky. They’re being seriously considered and scare me the most next to MSU.

I wouldn’t say there’s no chance he goes to Kentucky. They’re being seriously considered and scare me the most next to MSU.
Agree to diagree, but there’s a better chance, he goes to Indiana than to uk where he would be a man there. He’s the complete backage. Are they keeping him all night long

I’ll take Kansas all day. They typically have 4-8 five star all Americans every year. We don’t have to be UK/Duke (although I’d love that), I just don’t want to be Wisconsin either. For all of those successful teams Bo Ryan had he did very little in the tournament.
And how many championships has Bill Self won with his combination of experience and talent? As many as John Calipari.

Reactions: GregHaggard
And how many championships has Bill Self won with his combination of experience and talent? As many as John Calipari.

seriously?

some of you guys were fooled. bob knight had the best college basketball talent when he was winning big. most went on to do shit in the pros, but let's not rewrite history. lol

Reactions: fpeaugh
The difference though is cal puts us in a position to win titles. He’s been to four final fours since being here. I would atleast like to have the chance to complete and be there at the end knowing there’s a chance we can win it all every year with the exception of about 3 years

Reactions: fpeaugh
seriously?

some of you guys were fooled. bob knight had the best college basketball talent when he was winning big. most went on to do shit in the pros, but let's not rewrite history. lol
So you thought the 87 team had the most talent in college basketball because that is totally false. Also in 89 we won the big ten and probably had about the 5th most talent in the conference that year. In 84 when we beat UNC who had 4 top 10 draft picks did we have the most talent that year.

Reactions: GregHaggard
You actually wouldn’t like him. Now that he’s winning and has a shot at big name OAD talent he’s going after it hard. You don’t like elite talent.
Again it is not about a one and one here and there but don't want a roster full of one and done. I know you just take things out of context just to try to justify your stance but like usual you are usually wrong.

So you thought the 87 team had the most talent in college basketball because that is totally false. Also in 89 we won the big ten and probably had about the 5th most talent in the conference that year. In 84 when we beat UNC who had 4 top 10 draft picks did we have the most talent that year.

you are using 1 of 29 seasons to argue for a trend? you are using 1 game out of 901 to argue for a trend? you don't see how little that adds to our broader discussion?

I've tried for years to teach you the difference between exceptions and trends, iuscott. but you prefer to fight and not read replies. cool. that said, could you please put me back on ignore if this is still your M.O.?

Last edited:

frame.jpg

Sure looks like Franklin is about to be our first commit. I just hope we don't lose Newman. He's much better IMO.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Sure looks like Franklin is about to be our first commit. I just hope we don't lose Newman. He's much better IMO.
I dont like this, not with Davis, Brooks, Stewart, and Ramsey still out there. We only have 4 spots at most, we dont have room for Franklin and Newman.

Davis
Brooks
Ramsey
Newman/Franklin

Reactions: T.M.P.
I dont like this, not with Davis, Brooks, Stewart, and Ramsey still out there. We only have 4 spots at most, we dont have room for Franklin and Newman.

Davis
Brooks
Ramsey
Newman/Franklin

Archie likes both Franklin and Newman so it is first come first serve I suppose. This looks to be a four player class so there is plenty of room for five stars.

Archie likes both Franklin and Newman so it is first come first serve I suppose. This looks to be a four player class so there is plenty of room for five stars.
We only have room for three - two actually until Rome officially announces - why does it look like a 4 man class?

Hopefully we're done with over-recruiting and the transfers it causes. I hated that crap.

Hunter could easily be a one and done. With TJD coming in Clifton Moore is a very possible transfer candidate as well. The staff expects to take 4.

We only have room for three - two actually until Rome officially announces - why does it look like a 4 man class?

Hopefully we're done with over-recruiting and the transfers it causes. I hated that crap.
I just feel like a lot of people get too impatient, there is no reason to take a 3 star guard right now with all of our top targets still on board.

IU is favored for Davis, Brooks, and we have been landing CB picks for Ramsey as well. Also, they are all coming to Hoosier Hysteria. There will be plenty of time after they decide, to land a 3* guard if we still have a spot open.

This idea that we have to recruit a kid just because "he's from the state" is ridiculous. If he ends up at Purdue then let him go, we aren't trying to beat out just Purdue and Wisconsin long term, we want to beat out programs like Duke and UK.

Davis, Brooks, and Ramsey would be an unbelievable class.

I agree but we have to trust in Archie until he gives us reason not to. I do think Franklin would be great to have but only as the #4 guy in a 4 man class. We'd sure better be landing 3 guys better than him. No way he's a starting 2 guard for at least a couple more years. Assuming he commits as looks likely I hope he doesn't scare another guard off.

Hunter could easily be a one and done. With TJD coming in Clifton Moore is a very possible transfer candidate as well. The staff expects to take 4.
There isn't a chance in hell that Hunter is a one and done. He's a nice player but he's ranked in the 50s. How about we just take 3 really good players, instead of trading a player on the end of the bench for another 3*. If someone transfers we can just carry the scholarship into next season (like Archie said he was going to do) and grab someone there. This over-recruiting crap gets old.

I just feel like a lot of people get too impatient, there is no reason to take a 3 star guard right now with all of our top targets still on board.

IU is favored for Davis, Brooks, and we have been landing CB picks for Ramsey as well. Also, they are all coming to Hoosier Hysteria. There will be plenty of time after they decide, to land a 3* guard if we still have a spot open.

This idea that we have to recruit a kid just because "he's from the state" is ridiculous. If he ends up at Purdue then let him go, we aren't trying to beat out just Purdue and Wisconsin long term, we want to beat out programs like Duke and UK.

Davis, Brooks, and Ramsey would be an unbelievable class.
247 sports has Franklin as a 4 star player same as Newman

So wait, I compliment your coach, and your team and you figure out a way to spin it in a negative direction. Yeah I know they have to earn their spot, point is (no offense of course) he won’t be competing against other 5 star guys for playing time at Indiana. You and I both know, if he was to go to Indiana he would be all but guaranteed to start, while at uk, not so much.
Maybe you’re naive or just plain stupid, but with a few 4 star forwards already on the roster who’d have a year (or more) in the system, it would be a competition. I can’t wait to start playing you guys again. It’s always amazing how dumb your fans are.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Are we a lock to get anybody? I like Franklin. Give me the bird in hand.

Supposedly in great shape for TJD and Brooks. After that who knows. Unfortunately I expect Newman and Ramsey to look elsewhere once Franklin commits.

OG and Morgan were 3 star. Oladipo anyone?

Moye, Newton (possibly low 4 star).... the list goes on.

Um Crean won 18 games the year prior (7 in the conference) while having two five stars and a first round draft pick.

Surely as the guy who prefers looking at lists made by non basketball dudes as the end all be all you would say that was a much bigger deal than most.

Especially when he replaced those two five stars and first round NBA picks (who were sophomores and juniors) with Smith, Moore and Durham as freshmen.

Wow...he won an incredible two more cupcake games and again, two less conference games.
Biggest thing people have to remember is how he had to REMAKE what players he inherited into a TOTALLY different type of playing style. Especially kids who had never had defense as a priority.

Sure, Crean might have easily won 16 games - but where the hell was he ever gonna take us? Do we REALLY need to go back and look at the telling stats from 2 years ago?

Franklin is a top 150 four star according to Rivals and the 247 Composite rankings. And rankings are fluid. Who is to say he doesn’t improve a lot and shoot up?

If Franklin is the fourth highest ranked recruit in this class then we are in good shape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT