ADVERTISEMENT

1st things first

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
The first issue to be resolved is the extent of the Covid problem on the team, and IU’s ability to get it under control in order to be fully prepared for a game on the 18th.

The second issue is the outcome of the Wisconsin - Iowa game. If Wisconsin wins that game there is nothing to be gained by a Hoosier Hawkeyes match-up, by either IU or the B1G. A game between a 6-1 IU and an Iowa team on a 6 game win streak would be good TV and would send the winner to a NY 6 game. Assuming the first issue is fully satisfied. On the other hand a loss to a 5-3 Iowa would certainly leave the B1G without a NY6 participant, assuming NW doesn’t slip past the Buckeyes, but do beat the Illini. In other words one should expect the b1g to review the fluid situation that is the b1g champions week come Sunday.

FWIW, if Iowa loses and the Hoosiers and Purdue are healthy I would like to see a Bucket game and the rest of the B1G can make their own match-up. Lest Des feels a need to make his heretofore annual Bucket week appearances to chastise me for proposing this based on the belief that the Hoosiers would throttle the Boilers, nothing could be further from the truth. Before the season started I predicted Purdue would win the west. They had and still do have several excellent playmakers on both sides of the ball. My view was that fact plus a favorable schedule should have put them in a position to take their aerial circus to Lucas Oil to test both the Bucks and the Lucas Oil scoreboard. The playmakers are still there and jazzed up to rain on IU’s parade would be excellent incentive for them and IMO an IU win would still put the 7-1 Hoosiers in a NY6 game which should be incentive enough to produce a good match-up in addition to preserving the long running rivalry.

The first issue to be resolved is the extent of the Covid problem on the team, and IU’s ability to get it under control in order to be fully prepared for a game on the 18th.

The second issue is the outcome of the Wisconsin - Iowa game. If Wisconsin wins that game there is nothing to be gained by a Hoosier Hawkeyes match-up, by either IU or the B1G. A game between a 6-1 IU and an Iowa team on a 6 game win streak would be good TV and would send the winner to a NY 6 game. Assuming the first issue is fully satisfied. On the other hand a loss to a 5-3 Iowa would certainly leave the B1G without a NY6 participant, assuming NW doesn’t slip past the Buckeyes, but do beat the Illini. In other words one should expect the b1g to review the fluid situation that is the b1g champions week come Sunday.

FWIW, if Iowa loses and the Hoosiers and Purdue are healthy I would like to see a Bucket game and the rest of the B1G can make their own match-up. Lest Des feels a need to make his heretofore annual Bucket week appearances to chastise me for proposing this based on the belief that the Hoosiers would throttle the Boilers, nothing could be further from the truth. Before the season started I predicted Purdue would win the west. They had and still do have several excellent playmakers on both sides of the ball. My view was that fact plus a favorable schedule should have put them in a position to take their aerial circus to Lucas Oil to test both the Bucks and the Lucas Oil scoreboard. The playmakers are still there and jazzed up to rain on IU’s parade would be excellent incentive for them and IMO an IU win would still put the 7-1 Hoosiers in a NY6 game which should be incentive enough to produce a good match-up in addition to preserving the long running rivalry.

^^^^ I 100% agree with this logic. That is what I have been trying to state. People think we need a big win but I genuinely don't think we do. We are all but guaranteed to move up 1 spot when the loser of the Iowa State vs Oklahoma game takes place. There are many other options to move up without even playing a game such as Miami losing to #17 UNC this weekend. Or Cincy losing to #24 Tulsa next weekend. UF getting smashed by Alabama...etc. The point being....there is no need to put ourselves out there unnecessarily and the Bucket win provides me WAY more joy.

crossover game reminds me of a BB tourney consolation game
It's about giving non-bowl teams more reps in practice and game experience. Might not be dramatic or sexy, but it can help those who are down compete in later years with those who might have 1, 2 or 3 extra games due to their success . . . just think how playing in the Gator Bowl helped this year's team learn how to win games. Without the extra reps in practice and the competition against a relatively equal opponent, I don't think this year happens for IU.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's about giving non-bowl teams more reps in practice and game experience. Might not be dramatic or sexy, but it can help those who are down compete in later years with those who might have 1, 2 or 3 extra games due to their success . . . just think how playing in the Gator Bowl helped this year's team learn how to win games. Without the extra reps in practice and the competition against a relatively equal opponent, I don't think this year happens for IU.
I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the extra reps, I just don't like how they came about dreaming up this crossover game. I really think if they would have had a built-in make up week then it would have been more justifiable.

I would rather IU play Purdue for rivalry sake. Iowa would be OK. I'm kinda of the opinion we play who we want that will play us and screw anything the BIG has to say. Nebraska should have played that OOC game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT