ADVERTISEMENT

12 losses on the season by an avg margin

aajohn2000

All-American
Apr 12, 2012
North Carolina
Of nearly 13 points. 8 of the 12 were by double digits. Fact is when we lost, it was bad and maybe telling of the team. Not sure what to make of it. Both NW losses were close and the one Penn State loss in BTT and the one on the road at IOwa were low single digits. All others 10+. In fact the other 8 losses were by a margin of 17. Not really sure what to make of that.

Of nearly 13 points. 8 of the 12 were by double digits. Fact is when we lost, it was bad and maybe telling of the team. Not sure what to make of it. Both NW losses were close and the one Penn State loss in BTT and the one on the road at IOwa were low single digits. All others 10+. In fact the other 8 losses were by a margin of 17. Not really sure what to make of that.
That we weren’t very good and prob not a 4 seed?

IIRC, several were around the time we were hit with a lot of injuries and shifting personnel. This wasn’t an easy season to navigate with losing X and all the other injuries.

That doesn’t excuse the lack of fundamental play tonight. Like ****ing BLOCK THE **** OUT…

IIRC, several were around the time we were hit with a lot of injuries and shifting personnel. This wasn’t an easy season to navigate with losing X and all the other injuries.

That doesn’t excuse the lack of fundamental play tonight. Like ****ing BLOCK THE **** OUT…
It was worse than that. Miami was getting offensive rebounds where they clearly had the inside position.

The only loss I would credit to injuries for double digits was @penn state. We were never winning at Kansas. Arizona was preinjuries. Then there’s all the others including Rutgers before injuries. Outside of tonight, would say worst loss was the complete ass whipping by Iowa at home by 22 points.

Reactions: HillyardGates
The only loss I would credit to injuries for double digits was @penn state. We were never winning at Kansas. Arizona was preinjuries. Then there’s all the others including Rutgers before injuries. Outside of tonight, would say worst loss was the complete ass whipping by Iowa at home by 22 points.
I am just tired of the excuses. Next year it will be we graduated bunch of seniors and are young.

I am just tired of the excuses. Next year it will be we graduated bunch of seniors and are young.
That might be an example of a legit excuse, or better yet reality, next year. I don’t see how we will compete without a portal miracle.

Yep. You and me both. The bottom line is we need better players. Woody needs to bring a different style of play to Indiana. One of spread offense and ability to shoot well and attack the basket. We need athletes. It may nit win the B1G every year, but it will do well in March.

It isn't about you ... if the word "I" starts your post, then it's not about basketball is it? It's about your feelings.. do you really believe your feelings are in any way interesting?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and BusdriverE
It isn't about you ... if the word "I" starts your post, then it's not about basketball is it? It's about your feelings.. do you really believe your feelings are in any way interesting?
I didn’t say anything was about me. I am sick of excuses. That’s my opinion. Whatever you think is fine.

Edit: is it excusable to come out flat so often? Was it excusable to give up so many offensive rebounds tonight? IU got beat to ball after ball. There is no excuse for that. Miami wanted it more than IU wanted it.

Dumb

BTW your post started with an I and of all of the uninteresting people on here you are the top of the list.

Reactions: 76-1 and kmathum
I think our blow out losses have a lot to do with intelligence. This team, or at least those playing most of the minutes appear very stupid to me. Their decision making is poor and lacks basketball IQ. Jordan Geronimo is a perfect example.....lots of physical talent and ability but lacks the intelligence to use it properly. A lot of the team appears to have a similar problem.
I watch the women play and this IU ladies team is super intelligent! They make smart play after smart pay game after game. I've said this before but the men could learn a lot from the women about how to pay this game.

It shows that this team lacks mental toughness. They play hard a lot of the times, but they can't/don't play through disappointment (save one dude). I mean, I have never seen a team that is collectively either on or off, as far as jump shots, like this team. Their collective BBIQ is also very low.

In the end, this team is what we have known them to be for the last 4 years... flawed. Any team with good perimeter play has owned Indiana since the arrival of TJD.

The identity to IU under Woodson is becoming lethargic basketball and a low compete level. The tournament losses to St. Mary's and Miami exposed that.

I really liked the pieces on this team, best group since Yogi's senior year. TJD is an all-timer. But this program is in dire need of energy from the top down.

I didn’t say anything was about me. I am sick of excuses. That’s my opinion. Whatever you think is fine.

Edit: is it excusable to come out flat so often? Was it excusable to give up so many offensive rebounds tonight? IU got beat to ball after ball. There is no excuse for that. Miami wanted it more than IU wanted it.
I agree @stollcpa . Effort and desire shows up with the eyeball test and in rebounding. The team looked like they were treating this like a normal game the first 8 minutes of 1H. We saw the same thing vs AZ and KU early in the season. Other times as well but those were marquee games on nat'l stages. Sometimes what we see is not an anomaly but a representation of what something actually is. We saw this team blow leads very often which speaks to this same issue. Next year is a new year and a different mix of players. Certainly a disappointing end to the season. Not so much that we lost, but how we lost.

Reactions: stollcpa
TJD is an all-timer. But this program is in dire need of energy from the top down.
TJD's had incredible individual stats for sure and seems like a good kid, but have you ever listened to his post game interviews? There's a reason the team needs energy and it starts with the best player on the floor having more energy... and Race. We need more grit and emotion and these guys are as guilty, as anyone, maybe moreso as team leaders. Trayce got beat for a ton of rebounds last night and also was out of position on drives. Has an "all-timer" ever accomplished less in a 4 year career?

And, I'm not blaming Trayce, but honestly I'm anxious to see what comes after, because this season was the high water mark for any of his teams and it was still disappointing.

TJD's had incredible individual stats for sure and seems like a good kid, but have you ever listened to his post game interviews? There's a reason the team needs energy and it starts with the best player on the floor having more energy... and Race. We need more grit and emotion and these guys are as guilty, as anyone, maybe moreso as team leaders. Trayce got beat for a ton of rebounds last night and also was out of position on drives. Has an "all-timer" ever accomplished less in a 4 year career?

And, I'm not blaming Trayce, but honestly I'm anxious to see what comes after, because this season was the high water mark for any of his teams and it was still disappointing.
As this season went on, the team fell into a bad habit of just watching Trayce rebound. And I partly don't blame them, he's one of the better college rebounder's I've ever seen.

But no one was boxing out in Albany - Kent State outrebounded IU as well, they just didn't make anything.

Reactions: IUgradman and DANC
The identity to IU under Woodson is becoming lethargic basketball and a low compete level. The tournament losses to St. Mary's and Miami exposed that.

I really liked the pieces on this team, best group since Yogi's senior year. TJD is an all-timer. But this program is in dire need of energy from the top down.
Don't much disagree, but I liked Woody's PC. He knows this isn't acceptable. I tend the think the problem mainly lies with the asst coaches being mainly recruiters and not teachers/developers. Of course, that also goes back to Woody.

As this season went on, the team fell into a bad habit of just watching Trayce rebound. And I partly don't blame them, he's one of the better college rebounder's I've ever seen.

But no one was boxing out in Albany - Kent State outrebounded IU as well, they just didn't make anything.
Trayce rarely blocked out either, instead relying on his natural abilities. Last night several times it was his man one-on-one that outfought him. Of course, no one else did squat either.

In passing, I heard Galloway speak last night of people not blocking out. First direct reference I've seen, although the problem is long-standing.

Omier grabbed 17 rebounds, eight of them being offensive, in 26 minutes of play as 5th-seeded Miami put an end to 4th-seeded Indiana in Albany. As a whole, the Hurricanes pulled down 48 rebounds compared to the Hoosiers' 31,

Simply destroyed on the glass by a team with nobody taller than 6'7. That is all effort and lack of boxing out.

Omier grabbed 17 rebounds, eight of them being offensive, in 26 minutes of play as 5th-seeded Miami put an end to 4th-seeded Indiana in Albany. As a whole, the Hurricanes pulled down 48 rebounds compared to the Hoosiers' 31,

Simply destroyed on the glass by a team with nobody taller than 6'7. That is all effort and lack of boxing out.
100%. Further, why not pull the players in and let a race know, “ All I want you to do is hunt rebounds. The rest of you, then the hall goes up, everyone is going for the ball”. That never happened. At least if it did, the players never responded to the coach. At one point, why not out a guy like Geronimo in and tell him they hypothetical of what I wrote above directed toward Race? It makes no sense. We had no answer defensively for Wong and we were crushed on the boards. That is why we lost.

100%. Further, why not pull the players in and let a race know, “ All I want you to do is hunt rebounds. The rest of you, then the hall goes up, everyone is going for the ball”. That never happened. At least if it did, the players never responded to the coach. At one point, why not out a guy like Geronimo in and tell him they hypothetical of what I wrote above directed toward Race? It makes no sense. We had no answer defensively for Wong and we were crushed on the boards. That is why we lost.
Race got owned on the boards big time. They were in front of him getting those offensive rebounds. Honestly Geronimo could not have done any worse imo.

Race got owned on the boards big time. They were in front of him getting those offensive rebounds. Honestly Geronimo could not have done any worse imo.
That’s exactly my point. I would argue he would do better because his role would be for the sole purpose of rebounding. That’s it. Not to mention he has the athleticism to go with it. Just like Rodman back in the day. He knew he was never going to be impactful scoring, so he put all his efforts into impacting the game on the glass. And for that, he made a Huge impact. The coaches AND the players are to blame for the rebounding. It was awful.

Reactions: bailey777

If what you’re saying is correct, isn’t, then, MW’s program merely a continuation of what Archie had going?

Reactions: Crayfish57
I think it reflects that, once this team decided the game was lost, they put a stamp on it and basically gave up.

Trayce rarely blocked out either, instead relying on his natural abilities. Last night several times it was his man one-on-one that outfought him. Of course, no one else did squat either.

In passing, I heard Galloway speak last night of people not blocking out. First direct reference I've seen, although the problem is long-standing.
I think the fact we didn’t develop anything consistent off the bench made holding guys accountable more difficult. The rotation was basically 6-7 guys. There wasn’t the threat of having to sit if you weren’t giving great effort.

I think it reflects that, once this team decided the game was lost, they put a stamp on it and basically gave up.
The game was over three minutes in. Sure we were going to make a run but it never felt like we were going to win after the start Miami had. IU could not of had a worse start but that is just typical IU coming of a big win. We were honesly seeded way too high. I guess we got a 4 cause we beat Purdue twice but we are not a top 16 team in the country.

Reactions: Crayfish57
The game was over three minutes in. Sure we were going to make a run but it never felt like we were going to win after the start Miami had. IU could not of had a worse start but that is just typical IU coming of a big win.
The effort, right from the jump, just wasn’t there. Hard to watch and puzzling given the opportunity in front of the team. But that was really the calling card of this group down the stretch. They didn’t give consistent effort.

Reactions: IUgradman
The effort, right from the jump, just wasn’t there. Hard to watch and puzzling given the opportunity in front of the team. But that was really the calling card of this group down the stretch. They didn’t give consistent effort.
We were down 8-0 before you could blink and there were all pretty much easy layups for Miami. I had really hoped we got Drake cause I knew Miami would likely be a nightmare for this team and they were. Kind of reminded me of the Crean vs Syracuse zone game in a way.

And really that first Northwestern loss wasn't that close - feel like we were down by around 15 with 2 minutes to go and made flurry at end - also think Galloway had a halfcourt 3 pointer at buzzer else it would have been 4 point loss rather than 1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT