ADVERTISEMENT

10 and 14 after two years.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
Worst loss 24 points to Iowa. I must say that after 54 years I have seen much worse. Basketball is another matter. I was sitting at the Eagles last night with my Kentucky friends wearing my Indiana hat discussing the ever growing list of teams we have seen that Indiana and Kentucky can't beat.

Reactions: muubell and 76-1
Worst loss 24 points to Iowa. I must say that after 54 years I have seen much worse. Basketball is another matter. I was sitting at the Eagles last night with my Kentucky friends wearing my Indiana hat discussing the ever growing list of teams we have seen that Indiana and Kentucky can't beat.
Is Indiana on the Kentucky fans' list? :D

This is as hopeless as I’ve felt about IUFB in a long time.

This is as hopeless as I’ve felt about IUFB in a long time.
You must have a very short memory. Losing to Ball State a few times, Bowling Green, North Texas, barely beating Indiana State.... No more FBS teams. Plus the Big 10 east is quite strong.

Yes it sucks when Iowa and Ohio State score 40+ points. But we are he likes of Wisconsin are hanging 80+ points on the Hoosiers.

And depth and skills positions are getting better.

You must have a very short memory. Losing to Ball State a few times, Bowling Green, North Texas, barely beating Indiana State.... No more FBS teams. Plus the Big 10 east is quite strong.

Yes it sucks when Iowa and Ohio State score 40+ points. But we are he likes of Wisconsin are hanging 80+ points on the Hoosiers.

So your standard is not getting beat by 80. If not,!then we are showing progress??

It’s statements like this, which I must say are more common than not, is why this program never turns the corner. Just don’t get beat by 80!!!!

That's the thing...

These guys like to quote scores from the rebuilding years...

hiring Allen was supposed to be so we could avoid rebuilding.

We're getting the same results with no reason to hope we'll out scheme guys in the future.

That's the thing...

We're getting the same results with no reason to hope we'll out scheme guys in the future.
I don’t know why people continue to say that. A guy who was only at IU for a year. He is defensive minded and replaced offensive minded coach. Traded out offensive coaches and events the defensive coaches. Does not sound like continuity.

Reactions: ufo33
I don’t know why people continue to say that. A guy who was only at IU for a year. He is defensive minded and replaced offensive minded coach. Traded out offensive coaches and events the defensive coaches. Does not sound like continuity.

???

C'mon man. We eschewed a national search to hire our DC. Was totally a continuity hire, and it has totally failed.

That's the thing...

“Horse puckey counselor, the Amendment don’t say that and the right don’t exist”

You telling me that if we had fired Wilson and done a search and hired a new coach, they’d have come in and won 10 or more?

Or even won more than our 4 league wins?

Magic dust for sale?

i don't think our receivers are all that. timian gets by on guile but never breaks a tackle. lots of dropped passes including fryfogle today. i think philyor might be good and we have missed him. could have used cobbs but he thought he was ready for the league. he was not. where in the hell was taylor today? nothing special at tight end, only one rb that has shown anything. majette is awful and brookins plays like the walk on he is.

That's the thing...

Allen is going to have to take a page out of Belichick's pressers for his remaining time. "We're on to Cincinnati" will now be "We're on to Ball State".

I am tired of hearing the East is so strong. We can't beat the West. I do think our record could be better, but let's not fool ourselves that we would be a .500 team in the West. Purdue was. Then again Purdue got luck and we are a guarantee game from the East every year. Just think if they win the West one year. The West will be b*&ching that Purdue gets it easy by playing us every year. The big 4 in the East have two guarantee wins every year with us and Rutgers. You can't say that for the West. Yes, Illinois and Nebraska this year, but nothing like a guarantee like good ol' IU and Rutgers. I don't think that can be said for any division in the power 5.

That's the thing...

Rebuilding years? This is college football. All players are fired after four seasons. Every year is a rebuilding year. College seniors are replaced with high school seniors. Firing coaches means firing coaching staffs. And look how well that has worked in the past.

It will be interesting to see who Purdue gets to replace Brohm and what happens to his recruits. Either that or they rework his contract to match the Louisville offer.

Rebuilding years? This is college football. All players are fired after four seasons. Every year is a rebuilding year. College seniors are replaced with high school seniors. Firing coaches means firing coaching staffs. And look how well that has worked in the past.

It will be interesting to see who Purdue gets to replace Brohm and what happens to his recruits. Either that or they rework his contract to match the Louisville offer.
When you have an established program you are not replacing seniors with freshman but with juniors who have been in your system for a couple of years.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
“Horse puckey counselor, the Amendment don’t say that and the right don’t exist”

You telling me that if we had fired Wilson and done a search and hired a new coach, they’d have come in and won 10 or more?

Or even won more than our 4 league wins?

Magic dust for sale?

Yes - there is magic dust for sale. You just have to find the right AD to go find it. Both Brohm and Campbell are of this type.

Go ahead and wait another 2 years while this guy continues to fail. We are delaying the inevitable here.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes - there is magic dust for sale. You just have to find the right AD to go find it. Both Brohm and Campbell are of this type.

Go ahead and wait another 2 years while this guy continues to fail. We are delaying the inevitable here.
Nobody is making you watch IU or post about them so if they are making you this miserable then find something else to do with your time.

Nobody is making you watch IU or post about them so if they are making you this miserable then find something else to do with your time.

Ehh...you don’t get it.
Wanting better for the program automatically equates to “you’re not a fan” with you guys.

I’m calling out Archie as well because his coaching stinks. Recruiting is good. Teaching them and development is horrible.

Reactions: IUgradman
When you have an established program you are not replacing seniors with freshman but with juniors who have been in your system for a couple of years.
Yep. But IU has been plugging in freshmen for a number of years now - especially the defensive secondary. Will that change? It will take time. In the meantime the rebuilding will continue.

On the bright side Ramsey has two years of experience under his belt and Penix will be a redshirt freshman. I would move Taylor to quarterback for spring ball and still look for another qb. Most optimistic I have been in years about the quarterback position.

It's all about recruiting. ..
Unless you start getting high 4☆player's springle in a 5 ☆ or two.
Your never ever winning in our division in the Big Ten...Vince Lombardi isn't winning with 3☆player's .That said.Allen needs to show some progress next year.However you look at that..I don't know. Because the schedule looks unfavorable. ..

Ehh...you don’t get it.
Wanting better for the program automatically equates to “you’re not a fan” with you guys.

I’m calling out Archie as well because his coaching stinks. Recruiting is good. Teaching them and development is horrible.
That is why no one takes you seriously because of your view on Archie but take that to the basketball board.

Okay Scott. Just watch it play out.
You’ll be curled in a fetal position come February. Don’t say I didn’t try to warn you.
It might play out that way but I don't see in the future and will let the season play out. By the way it is better to live your life looking at things positively instead of negatively so maybe you should try sometime.

It might play out that way but I don't see in the future and will let the season play out. By the way it is better to live your life looking at things positively instead of negatively so maybe you should try sometime.

Bob Knight once wrote a book about the power of negative thinking and much of it holds true. Negative thinkers tend to be more critical and accountable than positive LEO softies who think that staying the course, everything is going dandy, we have a great effort, our seniors are crying right now but we’ll hug it out.

Same with basketball. No fire. No in your face. Just hope things get better.
You need the negative people to light a fire under the asses of the sunshine crew who thinks everything turns out for the best. Naivety at its finest. Most around IU don’t know what a big time athletic operation should look like but they pretend that whatever we got will work out. Nope.

Bob Knight once wrote a book about the power of negative thinking and much of it holds true. Negative thinkers tend to be more critical and accountable than positive LEO softies who think that staying the course, everything is going dandy, we have a great effort, our seniors are crying right now but we’ll hug it out.

Same with basketball. No fire. No in your face. Just hope things get better.
You need the negative people to light a fire under the asses of the sunshine crew who thinks everything turns out for the best. Naivety at its finest. Most around IU don’t know what a big time athletic operation should look like but they pretend that whatever we got will work out. Nope.

Dude the basketball program just got a new coach less than 2 years ago so they are not just sitting back and settling. again this is the football board so go to the basketball board with the rest of the negative guys to bitch about Archie. he has yet to coach 40 games at IU but you are so sure he is a failure. Like I said lucky for Duke that fans like you did not run coach K after 3 years of missing the tournament to start his tenure. Also coach K did less at Army than what Archie did at Dayton yet they stuck with coach K and the rest is history. A lot of the all time great coaches started their career slowly but was given the time to turn it around.

Reactions: Cutter1973
Dude the basketball program just got a new coach less than 2 years ago so they are not just sitting back and settling. again this is the football board so go to the basketball board with the rest of the negative guys to bitch about Archie. he has yet to coach 40 games at IU but you are so sure he is a failure. Like I said lucky for Duke that fans like you did not run coach K after 3 years of missing the tournament to start his tenure. Also coach K did less at Army than what Archie did at Dayton yet they stuck with coach K and the rest is history. A lot of the all time great coaches started their career slowly but was given the time to turn it around.

Tell me you are kidding Scott?
No...really?

Duke?

Terrible example. Duke was absolutely nothing before Coach K.

Bill Foster had 3 good seasons but they were nothing at all prior to the late 70s.

IU had 5 national championships and a HOF coach. You can not compare the two.

A better example in a couple years might be Matt Daugherty at UNC or Billy “Clyde” at UK when IU realizes it made a bad choice. Of course, those schools are serious about their sports and they don’t monkey around for several seasons before waking up.

Tell me you are kidding Scott?
No...really?

Duke?

Terrible example. Duke was absolutely nothing before Coach K.

Bill Foster had 3 good seasons but they were nothing at all prior to the late 70s.

IU had 5 national championships and a HOF coach. You can not compare the two.

A better example in a couple years might be Matt Daugherty at UNC or Billy “Clyde” at UK when IU realizes it made a bad choice. Of course, those schools are serious about their sports and they don’t monkey around for several seasons before waking up.
Do some research on Duke before stating stupid facts. Duke was in the championship game 3 years before coach K got there and had a winning record the year before he got there. Pater has mentioned many times that since the 50's that Duke has finished in the top 10 as much as ay program in the country.
They went to 4 final fours before Coach K got there 1960, 63, 66, and 78 and making 2 championship games in 64 and 78.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cutter1973
College Football: 5 worst Power Five programs since start of BCS era
https://saturdayblitz.com/2017/06/26/worst-college-football-programs-bcs-era/

I'm with Wilson on this one - that history is irrelevant and shouldn't be discussed.

No kid on this team - and no coach on this staff - participated in that history.
If we do our jobs NOW, that crap is just crap.
We didn't win or lose any game this season because we sucked in 1940. or teams wouldn't come to Bloomington to play, etc.

The modern era for this program began in 2005 - when Hep convinced Rick Greenspan to upgrade the facility.
It took a body blow when Hep got sick.
But the nearly $100,000,000 invested in the Stadium - and even the money invested in the surrounding parking lots, the baseball and softball stadium and Assembly Hall - helped change the tone of IU football.

Wilson wasted a lot of that "brand goodwill" by being such a public asshole, even when defending us, but 2 bowls speak louder than most boorish behavior.

The improvement of our defense and Allen's ability to recruit Florida have improved the roster. We've gone from having 8-10 players who could compete in our league, to having 35-40 (by my count and my eye), with number going up again for 2019

We used to NEVER have ANY shot to beat the Big 2-3. Now, Michigan can barely survive us. We've given OSU and Penn State all they want.

We are better.
The folks who refuse to accept that have other not-so-veiled axes to grind.

I'm with Wilson on this one - that history is irrelevant and shouldn't be discussed.

No kid on this team - and no coach on this staff - participated in that history.
We didn't win or lose any game this season because we sucked in 1940. or teams wouldn't come to Bloomington to play, etc.

The modern era for this program began in 2005 - when Hep convinced Rick Greenspan to upgrade the facility.
But the nearly $100,000,000 invested in the Stadium - and even the money invested in the surrounding parking lots, the baseball and softball stadium and Assembly Hall - helped change the tone of IU football.

Wilson wasted a lot of that "brand goodwill" by being such a public asshole, even when defending us, but 2 bowls speak louder than most boorish behavior.

The improvement of our defense and Allen's ability to recruit Florida have improved the roster. We've gone from having 8-10 players who could compete in our league, to having 35-40 (by my count and my eye), with number going up again for 2019

We used to NEVER have ANY shot to beat the Big 2-3. Now, Michigan can barely survive us. We've given OSU and Penn State all they want.

We are better.

Wish I had said this.....that's a wrap.

Reactions: Lillyr66
That's the thing...

This is what had peed me off since the beginning of this saga...the stated rationale was to prevent a start-over situation and that is exactly where we are and that is exactly what I said would happen when we hired him but noooooo, hes gonna give us a breakout season first thing..not.

Maybe he will yet succeed but we were sold a snowjob...

Reactions: IU 4 LIFE and ufo33

We are better.

Wow. We are somehow “better” but still finish with a losing record and choke in big games. The end result is the same- no bowl game.

A little history:

A look at the first 2, then the third year, of our coaches back to McMillin:

McMillin 7-6-3 (44%), then 5-2-1
Clyde Smith 3-15 (17%), then 3-5-1
Crimmins 4-14 (22%), then 3-6

Dickens 9-7-2 (50%) then 3-6 (Hicks coached 1957 - the "real" first year - and went 1-8 while Dickens sat out on probation. Early 1958 was also when IU announced plans to build the current Memorial Stadium. It had been talked about, etc., but March 58 was when it actually got approved and bids were issued)

Pont 3-16-1 (15%) then 9-2 (Rose Bowl)
Corso 3-19 (14%) then 2-8-1

Wyche 3-8 (no 2nd year)

Mallory 4-18 (18%) then 6-6
Cameron 6-16 (27%) then 4-7
DiNardo 5-19 (21%), then 3-8

Hep 9-14 (36%) (no 3rd year)
Lynch 10-15 (40%) then 4-8 (only guy with a bowl
Wilson 5-19 (21%), then 5-7

Allen 10-14 (42%)

Reactions: kmathum
That's the thing...

We lose 8 starters on D, and that is NOT a rebuilding year? It doesn't matter if we had a coaching change. If we kept Wilson, you know what? We still would have lost 8 starters on D. This year COMPLETELY played out like expected. Blame nobody but yourself if you really thought we would improve so much after losing all of the talent last year. Last year was the problem; we should have been at least 7-5 with all of the experience we had on defense. But this year? I called it from day 1, 5-7. We would be better on offense with most everyone back, but our defense would take a big step back. But the next couple of years, we should improve as all the younger guys get older. We will be bowl eligible next year.

We are better.
Well put......I could not agree more.

Wow. We are somehow “better” but still finish with a losing record and choke in big games. The end result is the same- no bowl game.

Let's put it in a non-Allen context:

Wilson lost twice to an unranked Michigan - once at Michigan 63-47 in 2013 and again at Michigan 34-10 in 2014.
He lost to a No. 15 ranked Michigan 48-41 in double overtime in Memorial Stadium in 2015.
He lost to a No. 4 ranked Michigan 20-10 at Michigan in 2016.

Which were the better IU teams?

To you - he was just 0-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUHDog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT