ADVERTISEMENT

“You can throw the records out the window on Saturday.”

You can only throw the records out when IU is a lot better than Purdue. Seems like they have beaten us countless times when we have the better record. I think we have beaten them ONCE in that scenario.....Mallory's last game.

Purdue's offensive will exploit the weakness of IU defense that many here have already complained about. Unless IU can bring the pressure and get to the QB, Purdue will throw it deep, across the middle, and short all day racking up a lot of yards.

Not sure IU offense will he able to hang as Purdue's defense will bring the pressure and get to the QB.

But, the game is played for a reason so there is hope of an upset as I do believe rivalry games can bring out and motivate a team.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If possibly the coaching staffs could trade teams before the game, IU might have a shot in this one?
With Coach Opie and Sheridan operating the Purdue offense, they would run O’Connell 3 times into the line and then punt and wouldn’t throw a pass to Bell all game. That’s how much feel for the game of football they know.

Brohm and brother Brohm, on the other hand, would have a whole new bag of tricks to install this week for IU’s offense and probably transform them within the next 6 days. I’m sure that they wouldn’t tolerate the matador blocking technique that Hiller has been teaching. Allen would ensure that he relies heavily on Purdue’s walk-on running backs and
On the defensive side, Coach Warren would sit the normal Purdue starters in favor of guys who haven’t played much. Karlaftis would be moved out of a pass rushing position and tasked with running down field trying to cover IUs wide receivers and Hendershot.
Purdue fans would be having nightmarish flashbacks of Darrell Hazell with Allen running the show.
And, if the game was tight late, and an obvious onside kick coming, Allen would probably have the entire Purdue front line run backward.

Brohm would have IU ready while Allen would spend the week teaching the Boilers catchy slogans.

The team has the motivation that comes from losing the game and the I on the chain last year.

But as short handed as they are and the play calling we see, I just don't think it is gonna happen. I doubt we see anywhere near the usual IU crowd their either. I know a lot of people bought tickets early when there was a chance to be good but most people i know dumped them.

If possibly the coaching staffs could trade teams before the game, IU might have a shot in this one?
With Coach Opie and Sheridan operating the Purdue offense, they would run O’Connell 3 times into the line and then punt and wouldn’t throw a pass to Bell all game. That’s how much feel for the game of football they know.

Brohm and brother Brohm, on the other hand, would have a whole new bag of tricks to install this week for IU’s offense and probably transform them within the next 6 days. I’m sure that they wouldn’t tolerate the matador blocking technique that Hiller has been teaching. Allen would ensure that he relies heavily on Purdue’s walk-on running backs and
On the defensive side, Coach Warren would sit the normal Purdue starters in favor of guys who haven’t played much. Karlaftis would be moved out of a pass rushing position and tasked with running down field trying to cover IUs wide receivers and Hendershot.
Purdue fans would be having nightmarish flashbacks of Darrell Hazell with Allen running the show.
And, if the game was tight late, and an obvious onside kick coming, Allen would probably have the entire Purdue front line run backward.

Brohm would have IU ready while Allen would spend the week teaching the Boilers catchy slogans.
Brohm blew ass when he didn't have a team either. So I am sure he would do great with a third string QB starting and no scholarship running backs available.

Our coaching staff has a whole bunch to answer for, they have not done a good job this year. However, if you switched players in this game, Brohm would get worked as well.

Brohm blew ass when he didn't have a team either. So I am sure he would do great with a third string QB starting and no scholarship running backs available.

Our coaching staff has a whole bunch to answer for, they have not done a good job this year. However, if you switched players in this game, Brohm would get worked as well.
Keep in mind that Brohm is starting a former WALK-ON in O’Connell and has transformed the kid into one of the very best conference QBs and the guy is a great offensive mind. I don’t like Coach Birthmark but that’s mainly because he’s on the opposite sideline. I’m unbiased enough to recognize good coaching when I see it.
Brohm was a bit like Wilson in that he knew his defense the first 4 years stunk and he made quick changes. He dumped his buddy, Holt, and then brought in Disaster Diaco and when he saw that wasn’t working, he dumped him during a COVID-shortened year. Now, he finally got a guy who had them playing good defense.
The guy knows how to run a team.
Think also about a guy like Dave Clawson at Wake Forest. That school has like 10,000 students and plays in a rinky dink stadium (I was there in 2015 when IU played them) and the guy gets more out of his teams than many coaches without the built-in advantages.
IU has the infrastructure. They just need someone who understands how to run it.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
Keep in mind that Brohm is starting a former WALK-ON in O’Connell and has transformed the kid into one of the very best conference QBs and the guy is a great offensive mind. I don’t like Coach Birthmark but that’s mainly because he’s on the opposite sideline. I’m unbiased enough to recognize good coaching when I see it.
Brohm was a bit like Wilson in that he knew his defense the first 4 years stunk and he made quick changes. He dumped his buddy, Holt, and then brought in Disaster Diaco and when he saw that wasn’t working, he dumped him during a COVID-shortened year. Now, he finally got a guy who had them playing good defense.
The guy knows how to run a team.
Think also about a guy like Dave Clawson at Wake Forest. That school has like 10,000 students and plays in a rinky dink stadium (I was there in 2015 when IU played them) and the guy gets more out of his teams than many coaches without the built-in advantages.
IU has the infrastructure. They just need someone who understands how to run it.
He didn't transform O'Connell on the fly in the middle of the year though. Listen, all sorts of things to complain about with our coaching staff. We are probably going to finish 2-10 and quite a few of those losses were piling up before the injury bug really hit. That being said, Brohm, at this point, would not be doing appreciably better with our current roster right now either. His team is doing well this year but we aren't very far removed from Purdue looking like hot garbage either. And IIRC, some of that was blamed on injuries, no?

He didn't transform O'Connell on the fly in the middle of the year though. Listen, all sorts of things to complain about with our coaching staff. We are probably going to finish 2-10 and quite a few of those losses were piling up before the injury bug really hit. That being said, Brohm, at this point, would not be doing appreciably better with our current roster right now either. His team is doing well this year but we aren't very far removed from Purdue looking like hot garbage either. And IIRC, some of that was blamed on injuries, no?
In 2019, he lost QB1 and QB2, and Rondale Moore. That was when Oconner started first. He went 4-8, won 3 B1G games (Neb, NW and MD) and almost beat IU who finished 8-4.

Allen could be 2-10, with no P5 or B1G wins, and he's got a much much better defense.

That being said....

I expect Brohm to lay his annual egg on Sat.

• Haha
Reactions: Wink96
In 2019, he lost QB1 and QB2, and Rondale Moore. That was when Oconner started first. He went 4-8, won 3 B1G games (Neb, NW and MD) and almost beat IU who finished 8-4.

Allen could be 2-10, with no P5 or B1G wins, and he's got a much much better defense.

That being said....

Last post on this because I literally give zero f's about Purdue. Allen lost QB1, QB2, every scholarship RB, arguably WR2, the secondary has been a triage...I am sure I am forgetting more. All scorn on our coaching staff is deserved, I am just saying that people tend to pile on "Oh, Brohm is soooooo much better..." and he would have us in a better spot if he had this team. I don't think that is true...at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Btfu2017

That being said....

O'Connell was QB4 that year. Lost another one to a season ending injury in practice.

The team has the motivation that comes from losing the game and the I on the chain last year.

But as short handed as they are and the play calling we see, I just don't think it is gonna happen. I doubt we see anywhere near the usual IU crowd their either. I know a lot of people bought tickets early when there was a chance to be good but most people i know dumped them.
But you were so sure a month ago. What happened? How were you so wrong?

• Haha
Last post on this because I literally give zero f's about Purdue. Allen lost QB1, QB2, every scholarship RB, arguably WR2, the secondary has been a triage...I am sure I am forgetting more. All scorn on our coaching staff is deserved, I am just saying that people tend to pile on "Oh, Brohm is soooooo much better..." and he would have us in a better spot if he had this team. I don't think that is true...at all.
Wake up. Brohm runs circles around Allen in his sleep. We weren’t doing anything with those QB 1 or 2. Brohm has having a decent year that year until his guys went down. Huge difference.

I think it's more that if Brohm was HC, he'd also be OC and we wouldn't be so butt ugly on offense with Sheridan.

That is true.

It isn't true, his record clears that up.

BTW IU lost QB1, 2 and 3, Dexter Williams would have been in front of DM.

• Haha
Yes, that is true but a different discussion.
Same discussion. If Brohm had our roster, right now, he would do better because there is no Sheridan.

Tom Allen with Deboer is way better than Brohm though. TA just needs an offense with a pulse.

And records don't really show much... They're about even. Unfortunately 0-8 has really skewed TA's record for the worse.

We wouldn't be complaining so much if he just fired Sheridan already. Continuing with this farce without making any changes at all is mind boggling.

Same discussion. If Brohm had our roster, right now, he would do better because there is no Sheridan.

Tom Allen with Deboer is way better than Brohm though. TA just needs an offense with a pulse.

And records don't really show much... They're about even. Unfortunately 0-8 has really skewed TA's record for the worse.

We wouldn't be complaining so much if he just fired Sheridan already. Continuing with this farce without making any changes at all is mind boggling.
How would TA with Deboer be better than Brohm? Also not sure you can compare records.

TA and KB are 1-0 vs Brohmbardi.
TA and NS should have been 1-0 vs Brohmbardi as well if he didn't chicken out last year.

And I still expect Brohm to drop turd and lose this weekend.
I would hope not. You never know with rivalry games though. Purdue is better in pretty much every phase and they have a QB playing at an extremely high level. Not sure iu can score 20 points.

Brohm lost to IU in double OT down their starting QB and best player (Moore) with a walk-on QB and walk-on RB...I am more than comfortable with my opinion that Allen is not capable of the same on Saturday.

• Haha

Games like this can motivate a team (especially Seniors) to get *something* out of the lost season. I think Purdue will score a good bit and IU will struggle to keep matching up score for score. But it is football, turnovers, early good luck, things happen that cause upsets.

The problem I have with Allen this year is him not benching players who just aren't giving it their all. There is a whole lot of lack of hustle out there in some of the IU games I have watched. Better to lose with players busting their asses than guys mailing it in or pouting.

It isn't true, his record clears that up.

BTW IU lost QB1, 2 and 3, Dexter Williams would have been in front of DM.

Brohm made the same mistake with his DCs over his tenure, he had the stones to fire Diaco after just one season because it wasn't working last year. Allen should do the same with his OC this eyar.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Brohm made the same mistake with his DCs over his tenure, he had the stones to fire Diaco after just one season because it wasn't working last year. Allen should do the same with his OC this eyar.
Both OC and OL. I don't know what he will do. I don't know what Scott will do..

It's hard to say because one was rebuilding and one was taking their team to the next level. Brohm also has a good defensive staff now as well.

Broom had PU coming off two consecutive bowl seasons going into 2019. Allen was coming off two consecutive 5-7 seasons when he added DeBoer for 2019. The records show Brohm was taking PU to the next level and Allen was rebuilding.

Broom had PU coming off two consecutive bowl seasons going into 2019. Allen was coming off two consecutive 5-7 seasons when he added DeBoer for 2019. The records show Brohm was taking PU to the next level and Allen was rebuilding.
The records might, but looking at the rosters and what was coming up for Brohm painted a very different picture. Brohm won the first year by infusing a bunch of grad transfers and juco guys into an older roster with a few nice players. Year 2 was lesser of the same, but with rondale.

Year 3 was essentially a youth movement as those two freshman class had passed the upperclassmen. Before injuries, Purdues staters average years on campus were under 3. I've yet to see a big ten team be that low on either side of the ball since. Without the injruies, Brohm maybe gets back to .500. They weren't winning 8+.

Year 4 was more of the same + covid/diaco mess.

Year 5 is this year. That's when people that follow the team vs the record thought, hey, we are starting to see our talented guys get older and more depth. That is why we thought 6-7 wins this year was feasible.

Next year should be another step as there will be more older talent and depth on the team. Brohm is slowly getting this team built.

Reactions: DAG10 and Btfu2017
IU was coming off two bowl years in 15 and 16. The foundation was there, TA just needed to get an offensive mind in Deboer to put it all together in 8-4 2019.

Explain then how Brohm was able to take Hazell’s disaster from 2016, turn around in 2017 and 2018 to back to back bowl games, while Allen took veteran guys from the Wilson era, coming off two bowl years and turn in losing seasons? One is a good coach and one needs a “Coaching For Dummies” handbook to get through a season.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT