ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Penix so highly regarded on this board?

I was at the Minny game, and the wet weather played a huge role in that game. I don't think Ramsey had a clean release on the ball the first 3 quarters, which was certainly dictating the short passes. When IU got down big and was forced to throw deeper, it resulted in 2 INTs. Probably would have been 5 INTs had Ramsey been throwing like that the whole game. Despite the short throws, IU was actually moving the ball relatively well in the first half, drives just stalled and IU had to kick 3 field goals from the red zone to start the game.

And at the end of the day, the biggest reasons for the loss were the defense and red zone offense a place were long throws are physically limited by space

not to mention the Virginia game was played in a non stop monsoon, (Biblical), and i think another game was played in a gale.

and didn't it rain all game in the first game of the season. (where Penix became an IU legend on 1 throw).

stats do get influenced by weather and game situations.

something not mentioned by anybody is PR's mobility.

i know MP is fast, but i question he has the mobility of PR, who is a legit threat on the ground as well.

hopefully all 3 get playing time in the non con games.

Ramsey’s biggest flaw is making competitive throws. In other words, we need a guy that can throw underneath and over the top on third and seven. Allen knew Ramsey was not capable of that, so he shored up the offense and played to limit turnovers. It was smart because it gave the defense a chance to make game winning plays. This team needs a skilled QB to win 6+ games.

for a guy that can't throw long, i've seen PR make a lot of nice long throws.

that said, most important thing in throwing downfield rather than dumping it short, is time to throw.

and again, most under rated skill is being able to complete the "easy" throws as well. (which i thought MP looked very good at as well last yr in the very limited number of plays we saw from him).

I could find plays like that where Peyton Manning made the same types of mistakes but if that is your justification, you're coming up equally as short as Ramsey's pass you described. It's very possible in practice, those plays are happening twice as much with the other two which is why Ramsey keeps getting picked. I'm not saying he will be picked this year but Ramsey started over Lagow (as a frosh).
? Huh? The pass I described didn't come up short, I didn't say it did, & what do you mean by my "justification"? I'm not justifying anything, don't need to. I'm replying to the author of the thread by explaining why some people are so high on Penix, & Ramsey's shortcomings(no pun intended)are very much relevant to why people are high on Penix. Lastly, Peyton Manning went months at a time without missing a read like the one I described. However, clearly you like Ramsey, & you should be pleased that he'll win the job, you can put it in the bank.

Reactions: vesuvius13
? Huh? The pass I described didn't come up short, I didn't say it did, & what do you mean by my "justification"? I'm not justifying anything, don't need to. I'm replying to the author of the thread by explaining why some people are so high on Penix, & Ramsey's shortcomings(no pun intended)are very much relevant to why people are high on Penix. Lastly, Peyton Manning went months at a time without missing a read like the one I described. However, clearly you like Ramsey, & you should be pleased that he'll win the job, you can put it in the bank.

It was a metaphor, not that you would understand. My personal preference is actually Penix but the people who have no clue about football trying to explain Ramsey as inadequate in comparison simply cracks me up. And your statement on Peyton, I do challenge you to prove that nonsense. You just make statements that simply have no way of proving but continue on....

Reactions: IUPaterade724
It was a metaphor, not that you would understand. My personal preference is actually Penix but the people who have no clue about football trying to explain Ramsey as inadequate in comparison simply cracks me up. And your statement on Peyton, I do challenge you to prove that nonsense. You just make statements that simply have no way of proving but continue on....
Wtf is wrong with you? Get the entire F out of here. I cited a specific play about Ramsey, & a specific game(Rutgers)in a previous post which PROVES his decision making isn't always the best, & I say these things after WATCHING THOSE GAMES AGAIN FOR THE 5TH TIME this offseason, I keep all of them on my DVR, I do so for the very specific purpose of KNOWING OF WHAT I SPEAK. Not that YOU would know anything about that. Now, kindly go all the way to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect 200, just go.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but since IU is usually the underdog, we need as many quote-unquote explosive plays on offense as possible. Too many things can go wrong on drives that have 12 or more plays in them. We saw a ton of that last year. And while I think IU's defense will be better than last years, it won't be elite enough to totally shut down top opponents. So let's see the guy that might be able to get those chunk plays more reliably.

for a guy that can't throw long, i've seen PR make a lot of nice long throws.

that said, most important thing in throwing downfield rather than dumping it short, is time to throw.

and again, most under rated skill is being able to complete the "easy" throws as well. (which i thought MP looked very good at as well last yr in the very limited number of plays we saw from him).

There is a big difference between throwing a ball 45 yards and throwing it 45 yards on a frozen rope. Watch the interception in the spring game where he throws into double coverage. The defender playing behind the play could’ve called for a fair catch.

I could find plays like that where Peyton Manning made the same types of mistakes but if that is your justification, you're coming up equally as short as Ramsey's pass you described. It's very possible in practice, those plays are happening twice as much with the other two which is why Ramsey keeps getting picked. I'm not saying he will be picked this year but Ramsey started over Lagow (as a frosh).
Peyton Manning has multiple super bowls.

Fair enough. Coaches see them every day.
Coaches have to know their jobs could be on the line if they never go to a bowl, I would think that would add more urgency to their decision making process.
Oh, that's what the coachs aren't doing .. they havn't urged him to stop making mistakes and learn the playbook. It all makes sense now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsenleo
Wtf is wrong with you? Get the entire F out of here. I cited a specific play about Ramsey, & a specific game(Rutgers)in a previous post which PROVES his decision making isn't always the best, & I say these things after WATCHING THOSE GAMES AGAIN FOR THE 5TH TIME this offseason, I keep all of them on my DVR, I do so for the very specific purpose of KNOWING OF WHAT I SPEAK. Not that YOU would know anything about that. Now, kindly go all the way to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect 200, just go.

lol LOTS OF CAPS LOCK, f bombs and sad attempts at saying corny lines in hopes they were funny......alas they weren't. You watching a game 5 times does not make you a coach, it makes you laughable. Your recall on that play let alone trying to ascertain your full explanation of the QB that PR is solely based on that, cracks me up. So continue to spew nonsense but again, your "specific game" to which you use as your "proof" that his decision making isn't always the best is precisely what I am making fun of you for. Just passed go again, pay up.

You are comparing a Redshirt sophomore decision making to a Hall of Famer who might be the most cerebral quarterbacks ever. He missed one read and that makes him a bad decision maker.

Reactions: YOTHN
You are comparing a Redshirt sophomore decision making to a Hall of Famer who might be the most cerebral quarterbacks ever. He missed one read and that makes him a bad decision maker.
Read me postS!!! I didn't compare him to Manning, dipshit did, I only responded to that, & I didn't site just 1 read. & also I didn't say he's a bad decision maker, just not a particularly good one, imo, which he needs to be in order to be effective, IMO. I'm done with this thread.

Read me postS!!! I didn't compare him to Manning, dipshit did, I only responded to that, & I didn't site just 1 read. & also I didn't say he's a bad decision maker, just not a particularly good one, imo, which he needs to be in order to be effective, IMO. I'm done with this thread.
What are you doing when you say Manning went for months without a bad read?

Why are you name calling in your posts. It's OK to have a civil discussion without being so angry.

We are contesting your point you used to justify why you believe he is a "bad decision maker". We are explaining that your frustration with losing is causing you to find reason and take something small and make it over the top. We all want IU to win but P.R. is not as bad as you make him out to be. I watched many highlights of him throwing needles down the seem 20+yds when the shorter route was available. Donovan Hale vs. FIU for a TD being a prime example. Those passes paid dividends. You also don't know what conversations with the OC led up to that. Did we throw it downfield as often as we would have liked? No, but was that on the OC or is that on P.R.? We don't know that yet.

Lastly, one pass as a prime reason isn't enough. I can find may similar plays with any player that has ever played.

In the end, if the coaches choose P.R. then I am standing behind them. Whether that means P.R. has improved, was always good or M.P. just isn't as good as you hope he is, makes no difference. They are choosing the best QB to give us the chance to win.

I was frustrated against Minnesota last year. The scouting report said the Gophers defensive backs were weak and an area teams could exploit. For 3 quarters, we kept throwing the 0-5 yard passes. When we finally started throwing deeper . We came back after being down big and had a shot to win.

I don't know if it was the play calling or Ramsey checking down to make the safer pass. A QB with a strong arm has confidence to make a pass down field that a QB with a weaker arm would not make. It isn't about accuracy, but the time the ball takes to get to the receiver.

Ramsey can throw the ball deep enough. His issue is velocity and ability to make plays in the in the 15-25 yard passes. This is the reason for 2 years he has had competition to earn the starting job.

If Penix was in the mix last year to earn the job, the little experience he gained will make him more likely to pass Ramsey this year. I don't expect Ramsey to have improved as much as Penix would have.

CTA said recently that he isn't read to announce a starter, but they will be giving one QB more reps. Curious who that person is.
I was at that game - maybe one of the most frustrating ones I've sat through as a fan (and that's saying a lot over 40+ years of watching IU football), especially since it rained the whole time. I agree with you on our offensive game plan, but our defense gave us no chance to win that game early on. Defense has to be much better this year, and I think it will be. But had we won that game last year, I think we would have gone not only to a bowl, but a decent bowl.

Why are you name calling in your posts. It's OK to have a civil discussion without being so angry.

We are contesting your point you used to justify why you believe he is a "bad decision maker". We are explaining that your frustration with losing is causing you to find reason and take something small and make it over the top. We all want IU to win but P.R. is not as bad as you make him out to be. I watched many highlights of him throwing needles down the seem 20+yds when the shorter route was available. Donovan Hale vs. FIU for a TD being a prime example. Those passes paid dividends. You also don't know what conversations with the OC led up to that. Was it as often as we would have liked? No but is that on the OC or is that on P.R.? We don't know that yet.

Lastly, one pass as a prime reason isn't enough. I can find may similar plays with any player that has ever played.

In the end, if the coaches choose P.R. then I am standing behind them. Whether that means P.R. has improved, was always good or M.P. just isn't as good as you hope he is, makes no difference. They are choosing the best QB to give us the chance to win.

I would think PR's height and ability to put zip on the ball are much larger factors than him missing reads or making mistakes. He could be the most intelligent guy on the field but unable to make throws that aren't in his repertoire. I believe he will be starter until Penix shows he can manage the clock and limit turnovers.

Dude admittedly watches msnbc and is constantly deceived and lied to. He can't help himself. LOL ;)

Last edited:
I would think PR's height and ability to put zip on the ball are much larger factors than him missing reads or making mistakes. He could be the most intelligent guy on the field but unable to make throws that aren't in his repertoire. I believe he will be starter until Penix shows he can manage the clock and limit turnovers.
Ramsey is what you want on a high school team. He is smart, can gain yards with the run, and his arm strength is fine for the speed of the game. He has had to adjust to the speed of the defenders by not throwing some passes he would get away with in high school.

I remember being at a high school game that Curtis Painter was in. He rolled to his right and threw a pass to the left sideline that never went higher than when he released it. It was a rope that caught the defense off guard and got to the receiver before anyone could react. That play won't work in college, but it shows the plays a QB with a strong arm can make. BTW, Painter floated a pass over the defender into his receivers hands for a touchdown on the next series. He had all the tools to be a good college QB.

Ramsey is a solid player. We need more than solid to win 6 or 7 games.

Ramsey is what you want on a high school team. He is smart, can gain yards with the run, and his arm strength is fine for the speed of the game. He has had to adjust to the speed of the defenders by not throwing some passes he would get away with in high school.

I remember being at a high school game that Curtis Painter was in. He rolled to his right and threw a pass to the left sideline that never went higher than when he released it. It was a rope that caught the defense off guard and got to the receiver before anyone could react. That play won't work in college, but it shows the plays a QB with a strong arm can make. BTW, Painter floated a pass over the defender into his receivers hands for a touchdown on the next series. He had all the tools to be a good college QB.

I agree with your second paragraph, and I would also like to add PR is the type of player as an upperclassmen to teach the younger QBs. There is a real opportunity staring us in the face

Let's do some of that internet silliness I see the kids do these days:

2bekbc.jpg

DISCLAIMER - I support any choice - Penix, Tuttle, Ramsey.
But I hear/read all these declarative statements that Ramsey has a "noodle arm" or can't make throws.
I'll assume they are true so we don't argue it.

I'm setting up a table with this sign:

"A junior or senior QB can have a stronger arm and be a better player than he was as a freshman or sophomore.

CHANGE MY MIND."

I'll sit here as the coeds walk by looking at me. And while I do, I'll wonder why we pay our strength coaches so much if they can't improve the strength of a QB arm, or the 40 speed (in pads) of a RB, or the hands of a WR/TE.

Change my mind.

2bekbc.jpg

But I hear/read all these declarative statements that Ramsey has a "noodle arm" or can't make throws.

"A junior or senior QB can have a stronger arm and be a better player than he was as a freshman or sophomore.

CHANGE MY MIND."

I'll sit here as the coeds walk by looking at me. And while I do, I'll wonder why we pay our strength coaches so much if they can't improve the strength of a QB arm, or the 40 speed (in pads) of a RB, or the hands of a WR/TE.

Change my mind.
I hope he has made enormous strides this year. That 20-25 yard slant across the middle needs to be thrown. And I hope PR can do it.

Height is a hindrance for QB's, no way around that. He doesn't have a power arm but there were some great hard throws downfield that were a frozen rope last year but they tend to be limited to throws in the seam. I don't know if that was by design or if the design was based off his limitations. It's the one part that makes me say, maybe we are selling him shorter than we should be. If you watch his pocket presence and stepping up into it to miss being pinched off by the corners, he did a great job moving and keeping his eyes up field. What I do know is we are going to find out one way or another here soon!

2bekbc.jpg

CHANGE MY MIND."

Change my mind.
I am not here to change your mind. I don't know how many times you saw Penix and Ramsey play in person in the same game. Penix throws a better ball than Ramsey. I saw the difference right away. I would prefer the QB that gets the ball on target faster than one that takes longer. It gives the receiver a better chance to catch the ball and it opens up the throws the QB can make.

Ramsey could start if he has improved in the off season or if he runs the new offense better than the other 2 choices. The Spring game didn't show he had changed much. Based on what I saw from the stands, I thought Penix would play the majority of the snaps down the stretch if he wasn't injured. My only question was if he was 100% healthy, understood the offense, and picked up enough experience to pass Ramsey.

2bekbc.jpg

CHANGE MY MIND."

Change my mind.
It’s nearly impossible to significantly improve arm speed at his age. Why else would pro scouts put such an emphasis on it if it was easy to just train and improve? They’re always picking great athletes with questionable decision making, not questionable athletes with superior decision making.

You can improve decision making but most physical limitations just are what they are.

You watched that dumpster fire 5 times? I could barely watch it once. You should have saved games from 2015 or 2016 that now seem like forever ago. I don’t want to replay anything of the last couple years.

Reactions: IUgradman
You watched that dumpster fire 5 times? I could barely watch it once. You should have saved games from 2015 or 2016 that now seem like forever ago. I don’t want to replay anything of the last couple years.
Actually nothing looked better from 2015 or 2016. The difference is that the opponents looked worse. The only difference in the records of those 2 seasons vs. the last two is a horrendous Purdue team the first two and a mediocre Purdue the last two.

I actually prefer being competitive and not being able to close the deal vs. knowing we could not stop an opponent from scoring to save our souls and watching Kevin Wilson bungle the clock and fourth-down situations game after game.

There is a big difference between throwing a ball 45 yards and throwing it 45 yards on a frozen rope. Watch the interception in the spring game where he throws into double coverage. The defender playing behind the play could’ve called for a fair catch.

I think that tape is proof that he can be accurate on his long passes, sometimes.

The first long throw was perfect. The second was a disaster.

I think for him to be accurate on medium to long passes he has to have all of his mechanics intact....stationary, winding up, unhurried, good grip on the ball. What he can't do that some others can do is make off balance throws or flip throws for 20-30 yards. I think for a short, very quick guy he's 'stiff' in that way.

What are you doing when you say Manning went for months without a bad read?
Didn't I just address that the last post you sent? Why aren't you asking....YOUTHN that question? He(or she?)'s the one that brought the comparison into the discussion. I would direct you to he, she, it...I also said I'm done with this thread, BUT actually.....

Last edited:
If you disagree with my, or anyone's opinion, that's fine, that's great. That's what we're here for, but to take it a step further & launch an unprovoked attack in the process of disagreeing with one's opinion is just...Basketball Board stuff. So, I apologize for reacting with anger to...YOUTHN's reply awhile back, I have a problem of getting...angry when threatened, attacked, what have you, & also impatiently lashing out in response. Now I've thought things through, as I should always do & will strive to do so going forward. I spend a lot of time on this football program, watching games, almost as a coach does, so to have someone tell me that I don;t know what I'm talking about, or just saying things without an evidence to back up my claims is...hard to here, & I would strongly disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinions! I love this team & University, that's why I spend so much time doing this This site is for like interested people to bounce ideas, opinions, & information off of each other. If you disagree with an opinion, as I said, no problem, a thoughtful rebutal is what makes the world go around. However, to insult someone, really for any reason, even in reply as I have, is wrong & unnecessary, so I apologize again. I guess the thing to do is to ignore someone who launches an unprovoked personal attack.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT