ADVERTISEMENT

Why I like 2022 Offense more than 2021

HC, I used to really get it bad when I first was too disabled to continue but now almost 20 years later I don't draw playbooks like I used to or breakdown films as the drive just isn't there now. I get excited as a fan now especially for IUFB.
You had some damn efficient teams. Very good for FW and Allen county FB particularly and NE Indiana in general. Enjoyed.

Or looking at it the other way would it have been possible to like the 2021 offense even less? I found an internet betting site in the state of Florida specifically to bet against Indiana in the Purdue game. A porous offensive line a walk-on quarterback and walk on running backs. That was a no-brainer. Subsequent to the game the state of Florida shut down online football betting. It was fun while it lasted.

So right. He was highly thought of because he was damn good with his boys. v had the uncanny management knack to match the right player to a position. If his teams couldn't out finesse an opponent they very often out gutted em. Only got to see them play twice but read about them every week.
Nice to have som knowledgeable/connected posters here for the rest of us LOL

You, V, Fan66, CX9, RBB (sure I missed somebody) and BRCB when he is on his meds. As we get closer to games the troll level will ramp up from what we see today so stay in there and keep the good stuff coming.

One reason for optimism would be the return of 2021 non conference highlight reel DJ Mathews

The Cincinnati secondary sent DBs to the NFL, but gave DJ 120 yards receiving.

DJ would have shredded Sparty.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ted-to-be-ready-for-week-one-against-illinois
We now have more like DJ Matthews - Shiver, Lucas, Holloman, Camper, and a few others. IU could have a very explosive offense this year with a coach that knows how to use the talent.

I never really understood all the hand-wringing over Walt Bell?
This isn’t Sheridan we’re talking about here. Bell has been there and done that as a coordinator at two P5 schools. He got hired as a head coach at a FBS school. This isn’t some green grad assistant taking over. The guy has been at multiple schools in a variety of capacities. He played WR in a Middle Tennessee offense that threw the ball around a lot.
One good description of his style I found was this and I think it sums up what to expect us to look like:

“Bell’s offense can be clearly classified as an up-tempo spread scheme which puts a strong emphasis on the running game. His goal is to spread opposing defenses out with 3-4 wide receivers and run the ball right at them. He doesn’t use multiple tight ends or fullbacks, and his quarterbacks never go under center. He utilizes a diverse screen game, and will also take shots down the field. His quarterbacks tend to be involved in the running game, but they don’t have to be to have success.”
Doing research on him and he will run some pistol sets. Will be interesting to see what he does.

We now have more like DJ Matthews - Shiver, Lucas, Holloman, Camper, and a few others. IU could have a very explosive offense this year with a coach that knows how to use the talent.
Those delayed blitzes are great. Always eyes turned in waiting to jump the routs. They might be small but they hit hard too. Should be better this year.

I never really understood all the hand-wringing over Walt Bell?
This isn’t Sheridan we’re talking about here. Bell has been there and done that as a coordinator at two P5 schools. He got hired as a head coach at a FBS school. This isn’t some green grad assistant taking over. The guy has been at multiple schools in a variety of capacities. He played WR in a Middle Tennessee offense that threw the ball around a lot.
One good description of his style I found was this and I think it sums up what to expect us to look like:

“Bell’s offense can be clearly classified as an up-tempo spread scheme which puts a strong emphasis on the running game. His goal is to spread opposing defenses out with 3-4 wide receivers and run the ball right at them. He doesn’t use multiple tight ends or fullbacks, and his quarterbacks never go under center. He utilizes a diverse screen game, and will also take shots down the field. His quarterbacks tend to be involved in the running game, but they don’t have to be to have success.”
Like the part about "diverse screen game"....not used enough nowadays but is extremely effective for teams that DO...👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT