ADVERTISEMENT

What was the attendance like today?

Have no way to watch the game from home but I listened to Fish on the radio and I heard no mention of the attendance. Just curious if the fans are coming out for a much improved football team, and on such a gorgeous day.

This was the first game I was able to listen to, sounds like we have some players. Fish and Buck certainly seem to think so.

The crowd Saturday was indeed disappointing..........In seasons where we've been competitive, there have been so many occasions when I've sat in MS and lamented the missing 5000-10000 fans that would make the games so much more exciting and the recruiting so much easier. There's been so much discussion on here and elsewhere about the whys of it, but its clear it won't change unless and until we have some consistent winning seasons, including a couple of breakthrough wins against the likes of OSU & PSU. I don't think it would change much even with three or four consecutive 7-5 seasons without at least a couple of highlight wins. I don't understand it, because I've always felt that, when our team is competitive, there's no better place to be than Bloomington, IN in September & October.

Reactions: IUCol and 76-1
Have no way to watch the game from home but I listened to Fish on the radio and I heard no mention of the attendance. Just curious if the fans are coming out for a much improved football team, and on such a gorgeous day.

This was the first game I was able to listen to, sounds like we have some players. Fish and Buck certainly seem to think so.

One thing to keep in mind about the heat.....for future reference.......I watch the whole second quarter from the public viewing deck on the SEZ addition........it felt at least 15* cooler there than sitting on the aluminum seats. There were times when I was sitting in my seat that I felt like I was being boiled in my own juices.

Also, the view from the deck is a very good one......I had good seats, 41 rows up on the 30.....but the view from the SEZ deck was a better view, both of the stadium, and for watching the action. It's especially good for watching the pass routes. The only time I liked the other view better was when the action was near the NEZ.

And one other thing..........there's a concession stand there, and it only has, at most, a few people in line at any one time. Nice for refill purposes.

There's no doubt that, like at the Bart, the railing will be a popular option, at least in early Fall. It might not be so great in November when it's 30* with a 20 mph breeze.

The crowd Saturday was indeed disappointing..........In seasons where we've been competitive, there have been so many occasions when I've sat in MS and lamented the missing 5000-10000 fans that would make the games so much more exciting and the recruiting so much easier. There's been so much discussion on here and elsewhere about the whys of it, but its clear it won't change unless and until we have some consistent winning seasons, including a couple of breakthrough wins against the likes of OSU & PSU. I don't think it would change much even with three or four consecutive 7-5 seasons without at least a couple of highlight wins. I don't understand it, because I've always felt that, when our team is competitive, there's no better place to be than Bloomington, IN in September & October.
I thought there would be a ton more bsu fans than showed up too. Ohhh well

Why do people insist on berating our fans year in and year out for not fully supporting a program with more losses than any power 5 school? Blame the administration not the fans. It’s up to IU to put out a better product.

If we keep playing like this and keep winning the fans will show up. And they’ll stay. It’s a simple formula.

It would be like McDonalds putting out a terrible product and then blaming their customers for not buying it. Makes no sense. Put out a good product and good experience and people will buy. It’s not like people in Michigan or Wisconsin or Iowa like football more than people in Indiana. They’ve just had a much better product to support. I hope we’re seeing the beginning of that change.

I m not one of those people because I have been a fan since the early 70's. I remember listening to all the games when very little of the games were on TV. I remember listening to the Nebraska game in the late 70's when we got beat by over 50 points so don't tell me I joked about not knowing IU had a football team.
Meant to say was NOT on first line

I m not one of those people because I have been a fan since the early 70's. I remember listening to all the games when very little of the games were on TV. I remember listening to the Nebraska game in the late 70's when we got beat by over 50 points so don't tell me I joked about not knowing IU had a football team.
That Nebraska game in which you speak of, was televised. For about 3 quarters anyway, before ABC switched to another game due to the lopsided score.

Indeed. I sat thru every minute of IU football for many years, but yesterday I left at halftime and went to Nick's to watch the game. My wife couldn't take the heat, but I didn't argue about leaving. It was miserably hot.

i guessing one of the downsides to having the end zones closed in, is that it's now hotter in the stadium than when they were open.

should be a plus though when the weather cools off.

i guessing one of the downsides to having the end zones closed in, is that it's now hotter in the stadium than when they were open.

should be a plus though when the weather cools off.
That's probably true, though I could feel a breeze occasionally in the west stands. The bigger problem was the cloudless sky. There was never a break from the direct sun. With a noon start and early in the season the sun was still high enough in the sky to roast spectators.

Reactions: IUgradman
One other thing...Besides the fubar in Indy with the 65/70 split and 465 being closed 37/69 was an awesome ride! We got right in an hour before the start of the game! That was very nice compared to the last couple of years. :D

Reactions: IUgradman
Why do people insist on berating our fans year in and year out for not fully supporting a program with more losses than any power 5 school? Blame the administration not the fans. It’s up to IU to put out a better product.

If we keep playing like this and keep winning the fans will show up. And they’ll stay. It’s a simple formula.

It would be like McDonalds putting out a terrible product and then blaming their customers for not buying it. Makes no sense. Put out a good product and good experience and people will buy. It’s not like people in Michigan or Wisconsin or Iowa like football more than people in Indiana. They’ve just had a much better product to support. I hope we’re seeing the beginning of that change.
Man its obvious you don't follow college FB. There are programs across this country who for whatever reason cannot field good or winning teams and you know what (again obviously not vbg) they fill their stadiums and root for their teams every week.

IU fans have been programmed to put BB first because trying to win in FB was too hard...so yeah the admin created the situation...but Indiana fans lived down to the lowest common denominator...you seem to be a perfect example of this...mouth service is given with puffed out chest but when the chips are down you turn your back sayin the kids aren't good enough for my support...win and maybe I'll come but your efforts and sacrifices don't count because youre not wear BB short.

Here is Colorado they aren't so blind.

IU deserves fans like you...obviously..since you really don't get it...do you?

Last edited:
It’s honestly a built-in excuse with our fan base. Last week, it was the “I’m sugar, I’ll dissolve in the rain” crowd.
This week, it was the “I’m a little snowflake, I might melt today.”

Before anybody gets defensive here, If you fall into one of those groups, I saw people today in wheelchairs, geriatrics sweating it out, a woman in probably her 60s hobbling up and down the stairs in a boot/cast.

Somebody at the game asked me: “What do you think about Romeo?”
To which I replied:

“I’ll worry about Romeo when it’s his turn to play. Right now, I really like this Scott kid!”

Sorry to hurt feelings but our fan base can be mentally weak.
Why don't you want to answer a question about Romeo? It isn't going to hurt the football team to discuss basketball, baseball, rowing or any other sport. Basketball begins during the football season. Eventually, you will have to manage both sports at once.

The person was trying to be friendly. Your response was awkward.

It’s honestly a built-in excuse with our fan base. Last week, it was the “I’m sugar, I’ll dissolve in the rain” crowd.
This week, it was the “I’m a little snowflake, I might melt today.”

Before anybody gets defensive here, If you fall into one of those groups, I saw people today in wheelchairs, geriatrics sweating it out, a woman in probably her 60s hobbling up and down the stairs in a boot/cast.

Somebody at the game asked me: “What do you think about Romeo?”
To which I replied:

“I’ll worry about Romeo when it’s his turn to play. Right now, I really like this Scott kid!”

Sorry to hurt feelings but our fan base can be mentally weak.

The average IU grad doesn't give a flip about football. It's just the way that it is. I have 4 tickets and used to come every week but my daughter has activities most weeks that keep us away. Most weeks I can't give them away....there's just no interest.

It's too bad. Win big and folks will come.

Man its obvious you don't follow college FB. There are programs across this country who for whatever reason cannot field good or winning teams and you know what (again obviously not vbg) they fill their stadiums and root for their teams every week.

IU fans have been programmed to put BB first because trying to win in FB was too hard...so yeah the admin created the situation...but Indiana fans lived down to the lowest common denominator...you seem to be a perfect example of this...mouth service is given with puffed out chest but when the chips are down you turn your back sayin the kids aren't good enough for my support...win and maybe I'll come but your efforts and sacrifices don't count because youre not wear BB short.

Which programs that fail to field good or winning teams nonetheless fill their stadiums every week, or even much at all?

Reactions: fpeaugh
I can hereby verify that the top rows of the red north end seats were the hottest in the stadium.

North wind that was obstructed by Henke Hall.

South sun at mid day that blasted your face at a direct angle.

I gutted it out with the occasional beer and A/C. :D

The average IU grad doesn't give a flip about football. It's just the way that it is. I have 4 tickets and used to come every week but my daughter has activities most weeks that keep us away. Most weeks I can't give them away....there's just no interest.

I agree that the "average" grad is pretty indifferent about football. Not surprising, since IU has been mostly irrelevant in football for decades. But here's the deal. We've got one of the largest alumni networks in the country. There are many people who will quickly jump on the bandwagon once we start winning. (Call them "fair-weather" fans if you want, but I'll take 'em). It doesn't even require winning "big," as you've indicated. It just requires some winning. We saw evidence of this in 2007, and it will happen again pretty quickly if we can add a few more Ws in the short term. If we split (1-1) against MSU and Rutgers, we'll be 4-2 (sorry, I don't see us winning in Columbus) going into the homecoming game (Iowa) and we'll have a crowd approaching 50k. If we're able to beat both MSU and Rutgers, we'll be 5-1 and I guarantee the Iowa game (and perhaps PSU the following week) will be a sellout.

There's no mystery here. Fans want to see some Ws. They'll come if there's some realistic hope for that.

On the other hand you get a better product by bringing in better players and it is hard to get recruits when the stadium is half empty in the second half.

On the other hand you get a better product by bringing in better players and it is hard to get recruits when the stadium is half empty in the second half.
We're bringing in better players. Recruiting is up. Where have you been?

We're bringing in better players. Recruiting is up. Where have you been?
I know that but we are still losing out on a lot of the top in state players who we need to keep in state. To me if the recruits would see IU fans supporting the football program then they might think about staying in state

This is the reality of IU FB and just giving hope of winning will do nothing. Proof is in the last 40 years...nuff said. It will take a generation or two to find new fans...just is...not what we want...just is...

I agree that the "average" grad is pretty indifferent about football. Not surprising, since IU has been mostly irrelevant in football for decades. But here's the deal. We've got one of the largest alumni networks in the country. There are many people who will quickly jump on the bandwagon once we start winning. (Call them "fair-weather" fans if you want, but I'll take 'em). It doesn't even require winning "big," as you've indicated. It just requires some winning. We saw evidence of this in 2007, and it will happen again pretty quickly if we can add a few more Ws in the short term. If we split (1-1) against MSU and Rutgers, we'll be 4-2 (sorry, I don't see us winning in Columbus) going into the homecoming game (Iowa) and we'll have a crowd approaching 50k. If we're able to beat both MSU and Rutgers, we'll be 5-1 and I guarantee the Iowa game (and perhaps PSU the following week) will be a sellout.
There's no mystery here. Fans want to see some Ws. They'll come if there's some realistic hope for that.
I have to ask...what evidence? There is nothing in there except statistical burps. Usually brought about by other teams fans in our house. Nothing in our history to support the idea that just winning a few game in one season will bring fans. There is 10x the evidence that it wont...the short term. IU is a long way from seeing a sellout...or even getting back to the loyal 44k we once had. Hang out in Btown for a while...it will burst your bubble...I am sorry to say.

Winning big, to me, means sustained winning. One year won't do anything major. Sustained winning will fill the stands in a meaningful way. I don't think 50k one week vs Iowa is anything to get excited about. When we start filling the place against ball state and virginia then we're in business.

Reactions: IUCol
I have to ask...what evidence? There is nothing in there except statistical burps. Usually brought about by other teams fans in our house. Nothing in our history to support the idea that just winning a few game in one season will bring fans. There is 10x the evidence that it wont...the short term. IU is a long way from seeing a sellout...or even getting back to the loyal 44k we once had. Hang out in Btown for a while...it will burst your bubble...I am sorry to say.

Yikes, we don't need mores fans with this attitude. Wins will bring more fans, it has before and it will again. Btown/Indy is a tough market as there are so many options unlike more isolated or boring markets. Iowa does well because they have some winning tradition and there is nothing else to do. Nebraska is the same...tradition in a god-forsaken market.

Not big enough but it was very hot. If IU wins enough games people will come.

Sections 18 & 19 empty again, crying for free tickets
to high school & grade school kids.
Veterans too. There's a program called Veterans Tickets (VetTix.org) where sports programs, concert venues, and other events offer tickets to vets. They have to pay a small fee for them for handling but they can get up to 4 tickets for something like 7 bucks. I know someone that sat in the third row at a Taylor Swift concert this year for her stadium tour.. I have no desire to see Taylor Swift but those are good seats. Not all the tickets are for premium seats so IU could donate a lot of those corner section seats to the program if they want to help fill the stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
I'll say it one more time. We'll have big crowds in October - - - this October - - if we go 4-2 or better in our first six. If I'm wrong, come back to this thread around Halloween and I'll eat crow. Vbg.

You're a tough guy to figure out. There's this passive-aggressive undercurrent in a lot of your posts, and you seem to get pissed off at people who express optimism and/or enthusiasm.

Have a good week.

Reactions: brebelle3 and RBB89
Veterans too. There's a program called Veterans Tickets (VetTix.org) where sports programs, concert venues, and other events offer tickets to vets. They have to pay a small fee for them for handling but they can get up to 4 tickets for something like 7 bucks. I know someone that sat in the third row at a Taylor Swift concert this year for her stadium tour.. I have no desire to see Taylor Swift but those are good seats. Not all the tickets are for premium seats so IU could donate a lot of those corner section seats to the program if they want to help fill the stadium.
We tend to discuss this topic every season so I have probably posted it before but I think it's still worth consideration.

My love for IU football and even my decision to attend IU were influenced by getting in on those free/cheap tickets as a kid. When I was in jr high and early high school in the late 1960's/early '70's our football team took a bus to an IU football game once each year. Usually an early season non-con game. The tickets were either free or dirt cheap ( I don't remember it being a problem to afford them) and we sat up high in the corner of the west stands. I'm sure we spent enough on concessions and IU gear to more than offset the cost to the university. Especially when those seats would have otherwise been empty.

Even though I lived relatively close to B'town (50 miles), my family did not have the means to by season tickets and my dad worked most Saturdays. He was occasionally able to get tickets from a local alum who was a close friend, but that might be once a year at best. I lived for the chance to go. By the time I was a senior in high school a couple of buddies and I had already decided to attend IU and made the trip to Memorial Stadium two or three times each season. Free tickets recruited me as a future student season-ticket holder and eventual adult season-ticket holder and varsity club donor.

If I was in charge today I would do everything in my power to get kids and their parents in the stands. As a season-ticket holder paying full price I would not be offended in the slightest to see those corner sections full of kids and parents and coaches using free or discounted tickets. I'm living proof it generates a future return.

If I was in charge today I would do everything in my power to get kids and their parents in the stands. As a season-ticket holder paying full price I would not be offended in the slightest to see those corner sections full of kids and parents and coaches using free or discounted tickets. I'm living proof it generates a future return.
Agree wholeheartedly.

That said, we also have a problem getting those who buy tickets to actually attend. There is a not-insignificant number of football tickets sold to Basketball First fans solely for the points. I'd like to see those points impacted negatively by unused tickets. I have to believe that could be handled with the scanners and barcodes now in use.

Agree wholeheartedly.

That said, we also have a problem getting those who buy tickets to actually attend. There is a not-insignificant number of football tickets sold to Basketball First fans solely for the points. I'd like to see those points impacted negatively by unused tickets. I have to believe that could be handled with the scanners and barcodes now in use.
I know when my daughter was a freshman 3 years ago the students had to get football tickets if they wanted to get basketball tickets. I don't know the ones who got football tickets so they could get basketball just buys just don't go to the football games. also I don't think they can give them to anyone else or transfer them to another students ID.

Please name me those programs you speak of that have never had meaningful success in 100 years but still fill the stadium every week. I’m eager to see this list.

I don’t disagree with that. But it’s unrealistic to expect tens of thousands of new fans to start attending for the hopes that it might help us years from now. It just isn’t going to happen. You’ve gotta find a way to win consistently and new fans will be born. Just the reality of any sports team.

Reactions: Al Bino
Tickets are still set up the same way in terms of purchasing basketball tickets. However, they made a change to have mobile tickets during the 2016 season. It's still the same way as of this year. The 2015 season it was on student IDs.

Yikes, we don't need mores fans with this attitude. Wins will bring more fans, it has before and it will again. Btown/Indy is a tough market as there are so many options unlike more isolated or boring markets. Iowa does well because they have some winning tradition and there is nothing else to do. Nebraska is the same...tradition in a god-forsaken market.

No doubt winning will bring more fans but how much winning will it take to fill the stadium? A fairly small stadium in big ten terms.

Did we fill the stadium when Mallory was here and went to all those bowl games? I don't seem to remember there being packed houses game after game during that time.

As you stated, Bton and it's culture is a VERY tough market.

No excuses IU fanbase need to show up this weekend. Big boy football... Need that all important home field advantage to help secure that win.

Yup, I think we will se a much improved crowd.

Night game
League game
3-0

I don’t disagree with that. But it’s unrealistic to expect tens of thousands of new fans to start attending for the hopes that it might help us years from now. It just isn’t going to happen. You’ve gotta find a way to win consistently and new fans will be born. Just the reality of any sports team.

That is the problem because which comes first winning or getting good players and fans in the stand. You say you have to win to get the people in the stadium but you won't win if you don't get the top players. The top players won't come to a place where the stadium is half empty.

That is the problem because which comes first winning or getting good players and fans in the stand. You say you have to win to get the people in the stadium but you won't win if you don't get the top players. The top players won't come to a place where the stadium is half empty.
Chicken or egg?

It's an old argument . . . and another fool's errand. To win, you have to play who ya got. And ya gotta get those guys to win in order to get fans in the stands and, long-term, better players.

the "win and the fans will come" mentality has been the single biggest road block to increased attendance over the yrs, which has in return hurt recruiting.

yes Mr Obvious, of course they will. DUH!

but embracing that mentality has been an excuse for not pursuing the obvious other ways to increase attendance.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Chicken or egg?

It's an old argument . . . and another fool's errand. To win, you have to play who ya got. And ya gotta get those guys to win in order to get fans in the stands and, long-term, better players.
Right now we are getting good enough players to compete for a bowl bid and 5th place in the BIG10 east. I think for us to get to the next step we will have to get more of the 4 star players especially from the state and I feel we need to have stadium packed to get those players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT