ADVERTISEMENT

What is Third Grade About?

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Try and remember what you did in third grade. Go on - try.

I remember my teacher. Old-school thick black shoes. Mean.

I sorta remember multiplication tables. Mimeographed purple letters that smelled great. Plastic SRA reading cards. Batman was on TV. I remember going (walking) to the city park the last day of school instead of having class. Baseball cards. We burned garbage in the back yard and leaves in the front. Not much more.

There was a lot going on in the world, but a general knowledge that there was a “war” in Vietnam was all that really penetrated my world, and that was because we watched 15 minutes of Walter Cronkite during supper and they reported a body count and I had 2 cousins there. We got baseball scores and weather from local news - also 15 minutes.

“ "I didn't feel like I wanted to be a boy or a girl," said Justice Chenault. "I felt like I wanted to be a different person than everybody in my school." Chenault is a third grade student at JCPS, who identifies as nonbinary. “

The quote is from a story about a rally Justice attended to demand the local school board refuse to comply with a new law passed by the Kentucky legislature relating to transgender issues in Kentucky schools.

Group calls on JCPS to disregard Kentucky bill they call an attack on transgender students' rights
https://www.wdrb.com/news/group-cal...cle_91bbf7ba-f9da-11ed-a202-2b8f53be2723.html

Now, if this kid was charged with a crime, or maybe even a victim, his name would not be published. But his third grade sexualism “choice“ to be non-binary and reject maleness and femaleness and be unique and different is used as fodder in this social debate about teaching sexual stuff in elementary school. (My sex Ed was in 7th grade PE class. maybe 2 hours. Charts of sex parts. Films about sex diseases and how pregnancy happened and when girls got boobs and boys grew pubic hair. Then back to dodge ball in the gym.)

Math? Science? Reading? Not anymore. We’re about sex. In third grade.

“Don’t say educate.”

I sorta remember multiplication tables. Mimeographed purple letters that smelled great. Plastic SRA reading cards. Batman was on TV. I remember going (walking) to the city park the last day of school instead of having class. Baseball cards. We burned garbage in the back yard and leaves in the front. Not much more.

There was a lot going on in the world, but a general knowledge that there was a “war” in Vietnam was all that really penetrated my world, and that was because we watched 15 minutes of Walter Cronkite during supper and they reported a body count and I had 2 cousins there. We got baseball scores and weather from local news - also 15 minutes.

“ "I didn't feel like I wanted to be a boy or a girl," said Justice Chenault. "I felt like I wanted to be a different person than everybody in my school." Chenault is a third grade student at JCPS, who identifies as nonbinary. “

The quote is from a story about a rally Justice attended to demand the local school board refuse to comply with a new law passed by the Kentucky legislature relating to transgender issues in Kentucky schools.

Group calls on JCPS to disregard Kentucky bill they call an attack on transgender students' rights
https://www.wdrb.com/news/group-cal...cle_91bbf7ba-f9da-11ed-a202-2b8f53be2723.html

Now, if this kid was charged with a crime, or maybe even a victim, his name would not be published. But his third grade sexualism “choice“ to be non-binary and reject maleness and femaleness and be unique and different is used as fodder in this social debate about teaching sexual stuff in elementary school. (My sex Ed was in 7th grade PE class. maybe 2 hours. Charts of sex parts. Films about sex diseases and how pregnancy happened and when girls got boobs and boys grew pubic hair. Then back to dodge ball in the gym.)

“Don’t say educate.”
Hmmmmm. Roped to the olden wooden desk with no AC. WHO IS JESUS??!! I DONT KNOW?!!!! Whack!!!!

Were you there when they crucified my Lord.
I was there when they crucified my Lord. WHACK!!!

Do we even have nuns anymore?

We had it better, still. All generations say that, but it’s actually true. Kid life today isn’t remotely as fun and carefree

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and larsIU
My kid was in 3rd grade last year, and we did math, reading, writing and spelling words for homework.

The horror of it all was that it was all on-line without a text book in sight.

I guess my kids are just fortunate.

“Don’t say educate.”
In my head, the narrator of the Wonder Years was reading the first half of this post.

My kid was in 3rd grade last year, and we did math, reading, writing and spelling words for homework.

The horror of it all was that it was all on-line without a text book in sight.

I guess my kids are just fortunate.
I’ve never seen my daughter have a textbook. It makes helping and keeping up with what’s going on so much more challenging

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I’ve never seen my daughter have a textbook. It makes helping and keeping up with what’s going on so much more challenging

For our high schooler, we have a app that shows her grades and what assignments are missing, if she has any.

It works as long as teachers are up go date with it, which this year, has been within a week of a assignment or so.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
For our high schooler, we have a app that shows her grades and what assignments are missing, if she has any.

It works as long as teachers are up go date with it, which this year, has been within a week of a assignment or so.
We have PowerSchool. Teachers never update it. I have no clue what they're teaching my kids unless I ask them and then I get the typical "I don't know. Stuff. It's boring." Or "nothing."

Until one day out of the blue, "Hey dad, I'm a girl now. Did you know the U.S. fought the Revolutionary War to enslave black people and install an oppressive capitalistic regime that has oppressed billions?" ;)

We have PowerSchool. Teachers never update it. I have no clue what they're teaching my kids unless I ask them and then I get the typical "I don't know. Stuff. It's boring." Or "nothing."

Until one day out of the blue, "Hey dad, I'm a girl now. Did you know the U.S. fought the Revolutionary War to enslave black people and install an oppressive capitalistic regime that has oppressed billions?" ;)

Brilliant

Everything is handouts or online. She's pretty good about bugging the shit out of me about something or other that she's learned.

She never or rarely ever asks about her math. Which she gets an easy A in. In an Honors math class. Yet, she wants nothign to do with a major that would be based on math.

Yes, dear, make life harder on yourself by doing something you're not naturally gifted at. Here, let Dad show you how.

We get into some decent disagreements (and even some agreements believe it or not) about current social trends. For instance, and probaboy contrary to most of her peers, she doesn't believe kids under 16 (I said 18, we never truly agree) should be given drugs, hormones, surgery to address transgender issues. She also believes many people's desire to transition is rooted in something other than a medical need (i.e. severe gender dysphoria). I told her to be careful and to research her positions so we'll see.

So she must be learning something from someone. Can't wait for her to get to college. She's so wrapped up in personal dramas and other bullshit that, hopefully, will recede when she's away from these trashcan friends.

“Don’t say educate.”
I had sex ed in 4th grade. It was in the gym, in the evening, with parents also attending. It was not a sanitized version. It was optional, but everyone attended. This was in a public school, in Ohio, in 1972. We all turned out just fine.

“Don’t say educate.”
This is why in Louisville the parochial schools are so popular or why many flee Jefferson County for Olhdam County.

You should get weekly newsletters, online or hard copy. Every school I was at my entire teaching career asked for that and either weekly or daily updates on a call in line.

You should get weekly newsletters, online or hard copy. Every school I was at my entire teaching career asked for that and either weekly or daily updates on a call in line.
Who produces the newsletters and decides what's in them?

Who produces the newsletters and decides what's in them?
Uh the teachers doing the instruction. Who would you expect to let the parents know what the teacher is teaching that week? What’s in them? Homework, any special announcements for week, what’s being taught in reading, math, science, etc. Lifeskill of the week, maybe student of the week or special announcements. All kinds of unsavory things!

Uh the teachers doing the instruction. Who would you expect to let the parents know what the teacher is teaching that week? What’s in them? Homework, any special announcements for week, what’s being taught in reading, math, science, etc. Lifeskill of the week, maybe student of the week or special announcements. All kinds of unsavory things!
So the newsletters are biased. They could put anything in them they want, or not want for the parents to see.

Reactions: Crayfish57

“Don’t say educate.”

My first education course remotely involved with sex was a 1955. social studies college class entitled Marriage and The Family.

The lecture hall was always packed. A good many attended just to find out about sex without being enrolled in the course.

The textbook was written in 1923 by the same professor who gave the stimulating lectures. I privately questioned him about the textbook being rather dated. He responded, "Nothing significant has changed on the subject since he wrote the book".

The course should have been called "Family Values" as it had little to do with sex education as was the rumor running rampant on campus.

I found systems like PowerSchool extremely frustrating, seemed as if most teachers were too lazy to update it and it never was a true indicator of where my girls stood grade wise each semester. I'm sure their teachers got extremely tired of my constant emails asking about their grades and such.

So the newsletters are biased. They could put anything in them they want, or not want for the parents to see.

Do you have kids?

What percentage of teachers do you think are out there trying to do their best and giving kids a good education?

“Don’t say educate.”
My third grade teacher was an old cranky woman named Mrs. Enley. If she tried to talk to me about sex I probably would have lived in a cave as a hermit. We were in sixth grade when we got the sex talk. It was weird going to the gym afterwards and then seeing the girls. It was only the next yr I saw that they weren't lying. Some of those girls entered 7th grade looking far different than they did just the year before.

Never had that at any school I've attended or that my kids have attended.

Zeke, there are tens-of-thousands of schools in this country. They are not all like the ones you taught at.

So, eight years of grade school down the drain?
Nope ... I had a great time. :)

Seriously, I went to a grade school with 2 grades in a room (shows how old I am). The 3rd and 4th grade teacher was an old crank and would get up front and rant about something for 30 minutes. The rooms in the 4 room school were heated by a stove similar to the one in the picture below so any time I got a chance to go outside and bring in the coal for the heater I did... you'd be surprised how long that takes. :)

7629774_0.jpg

Same as any workforce in terms of trying to do their best. Teachers aren't devils or saints. They're human.

100% agree.

You're gonna have good teachers and bad teachers, but if you read this board, you would think (for the most part), teachers are trying to brainwash our kids and aren't trying to teach anything in schools.

I happen to think the good teachers way outweigh the bad teachers by a rather large margin.

Reactions: hoosboot and larsIU
Oh yes indeed. Pages 102-108 in math this week is definitely biased. If you don’t trust the teacher, homeschool your child. Feel free. But you want to trust the teacher with a gun. Ya’ll nuts.
LOL. Sure. Page numbers. From a textbook. Every week.

Just like kids riding these to school:

bicycle fail GIF by Electric Cyclery

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
100% agree.

You're gonna have good teachers and bad teachers, but if you read this board, you would think (for the most part), teachers are trying to brainwash our kids and aren't trying to teach anything in schools.

I happen to think the good teachers way outweigh the bad teachers by a rather large margin.
Lawyers, on the other hand...

(jk)

Reactions: NPT and larsIU
Never had that at any school I've attended or that my kids have attended.

Zeke, there are tens-of-thousands of schools in this country. They are not all like the ones you taught at.
I know, that’s hard to believe though. It’s been a given and is something that important in elementary. Do you have parent teacher conferences?

LOL. Sure. Page numbers. From a textbook. Every week.

Just like kids riding these to school:

bicycle fail GIF by Electric Cyclery
Or more likely :Math addition of two digit numbers with carrying. Language:

Exclamation points and quotations. Story: Amazing Grace Lifeskill: Integrity. Tests: Friday spelling and Wednesday math . Our township still has textbooks in elementary, not sure about high school. I’ll find out tomorrow at last day of school party.

Would you like a parent to come in every week for the entire week and then produce them? Great idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT