ADVERTISEMENT

We Have Some Competition For Our New OC

Why do you think Glass doubled the salary of the strength and speed coach?
They need to adjust the salaries of the entire staff and get better assistant coaches. Our safeties coach was making 150,000 or so. Plus we only had 9 coaches instead of 10.
Agree all these guys need substantial bumps in pay!

Why do you think Glass doubled the salary of the strength and speed coach?
They need to adjust the salaries of the entire staff and get better assistant coaches. Our safeties coach was making 150,000 or so. Plus we only had 9 coaches instead of 10.

Our S's coach was in his first year after a promotion up from GA. Did you want Fred to start him out at $500,00???

Poor example.

The reality is that we're sitting at or near the middle of the Big Ten in Assistant Coaches salaries (per the linked article above).

Reactions: coachv jr
Our coaches base salary was 550,000. He makes 1.8 million. The Rutgers coach makes 3 million. Some Illinois and Rutgers assistant's make 800,000 and our highest paid assistant made 502,000. So unless McRobbie stops taking the BIG network money or you are Fred Glass I don't believe you.
You're off by $800,000. Chris Ash (Rutgers) made $2.2 million in 2018, not $3 million.

That's what I said. Get better Assistant coaches and pay them more! Noah Joseph left to make more money at Rutgers. Our secondary was terrible this year. Hardy Nickerson at Illinois was making 800,000 when he resigned at Illinois. Mark Hagen makes 400,000. The reality is you don'y understand the difference of salary and benefits.

Tom Allen is 14th out of 14. Is that middle of the pack in your mind?

https://n.rivals.com/news/breaking-down-head-coaching-salaries-in-the-big-ten

Our S's coach was in his first year after a promotion up from GA. Did you want Fred to start him out at $500,00???

Poor example.

The reality is that we're sitting at or near the middle of the Big Ten in Assistant Coaches salaries (per the linked article above).

That article is old. I'm talking salary, not health insurance and vacation time. Your myth is wrong.

The article less than a year old, so its pretty up to date.
Also, a big part of "benefits" could be retirement plan contributions, which is still monetary compensation (and probably will be the biggest difference between benefit packages between schools). Listed "salary" is just accounting semantics and doesn't reflect full compensation

Reactions: 76-1
Yeah, I included his PTO and long term disability coverage for you. 14 out of 14 isn't middle of the pack.
I never argued Allen was middle of the pack in terms of compensation. Get yourself a cup of coffee.

That's what I said. Get better Assistant coaches and pay them more! Noah Joseph left to make more money at Rutgers. Our secondary was terrible this year. Hardy Nickerson at Illinois was making 800,000 when he resigned at Illinois. Mark Hagen makes 400,000. The reality is you don'y understand the difference of salary and benefits.

Once again, incredibly poor example. TA is in his first head coaching job. So you want Fred to start him out at top 5 money just for appearances sake?

I noticed you jumped from staff compensation to the head coach there.*

Forgot to add: I don't consider Noah Joseph a major staff loss... Rutgers can have him.

Noah Joseph left for a Co-DC title, which only came with a modest salary increase. Had Joseph stayed with IU matching his current Rutgers salary, Joseph would have gone from the 8th highest paid assistant on staff to the 7th highest paid. Money was not a big factor for Joseph

Again I was talking salary. Our football coaches salaries are an embarrassment. We have to hope Canada comes here because Maryland will be paying him a supplemental salary for 2 years.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

IU is 20th in the country in money donated. My money to the varsity club and we can't even pay our football coaches a competitive salary. It's a joke.

https://cae.org/images/uploads/pdf/VSE-2017-Press-Release.pdf

I never argued Allen was middle of the pack in terms of compensation. Get yourself a cup of coffee.

Noah Joseph left for a Co-DC title, which only came with a modest salary increase. Had Joseph stayed with IU matching his current Rutgers salary, Joseph would have gone from the 8th highest paid assistant on staff to the 7th highest paid. Money was not a big factor for Joseph

Also, Joseph's small pay bump only offsets about a third of cost of living the change between Bloomington and Piscataway. In other words, Joseph took a financial hit to take the Rutgers job

Based on our secondary play this year, I consider Noah Joseph a major loss.
I do not see Chase Dutra or Tony Fields on an NFL team or practice squad so something definitely changed to make our secondary the weakness of the program.

Once again, incredibly poor example. TA is in his first head coaching job. So you want Fred to start him out at top 5 money just for appearances sake?

I noticed you jumped from staff compensation to the head coach there.*

Forgot to add: I don't consider Noah Joseph a major staff loss... Rutgers can have him.

Again I was talking salary. Our football coaches salaries are an embarrassment. We have to hope Canada comes here because Maryland will be paying him a supplemental salary for 2 years.

IU is 20th in the country in money donated. My money to the varsity club and we can't even pay our football coaches a competitive salary. It's a joke.

You're digging yourself a real hole... On the USA Today list we've got a bunch of guys in the 210- 590 listing out of over 1300... Do the math...

Last edited:
Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Our coaches base salary was 550,000. He makes 1.8 million. The Rutgers coach makes 3 million. Some Illinois and Rutgers assistant's make 800,000 and our highest paid assistant made 502,000. So unless McRobbie stops taking the BIG network money or you are Fred Glass I don't believe you.
wow. which rutgers asst makes $800k?

I do not see Chase Dutra or Tony Fields on an NFL team or practice squad so something definitely changed to make our secondary the weakness of the program.

Dutra and Fields were both coached by Joseph...

Take a nap and start over. You're off to a bad start this morning...

Yeah, I included his PTO and long term disability coverage for you. 14 out of 14 isn't middle of the pack.
paying allen more isn't going to make him a better coach. it's his first head coach gig. he wasn't even really qualified for it. he's not good at ingame decision making. glass is allowing him to learn on the job. let him earn it the old fashion way. with wins

We had 9 coaches instead of 10 for everyone else and Sheridan and Teagarden under 200,000.

You're digging yourself a real hole... On the USA Today list we've got a bunch of guys in the 210- 590 listing out of over 1300... Do the math...

They just fired 2. Might have been the Minnesota and Nebraska. Multiple Minnesota and Nebraska assistants make over 700,000. Illinois assistant 750,000.
What kind of results are Rutgers and Illinois getting for that pay ? Your aren't helping your argument here.

In addition, our secondary play was not worse this year - in fact it was much better considering the decline in performance of our front 7. Even with the loss of Fant, our secondary was easily the best part of our defense.

Yes. I said he was because we were much better in the secondary in 2017 with Dutra and Fields who are not NFL talents.

I was the one who said I didn't consider him a major loss.

Have a good day and good luck...

There's no indication that salary was a limiting factor in any of the assistant hires. When Allen was hired, we wanted retain Watson as a QB coach (certainly would have been more costly than Sheridan), but left to be an OC at Pitt. We also wanted to retain Frey and McCullough, and reportedly made matching offers, but they still left. We then replaced them with Hiller and Hart, who received higher salaries than what Frey and McCullough made the year before. Heard has an above average salary for a BT WR coach.

I believe there is plenty more money available than what we are currently paying. When we have wanted assistants, the salary has been there. The primary reason our total assistant salaries were on the low end is because we haven't had high price coordinators. That could change this year

You don’t think it took a hit because of difference in experience of players on the field and maybe different pressures on quarterback

Yes. I said he was because we were much better in the secondary in 2017 with Dutra and Fields who are not NFL talents.

They were both multi year part time starters.

We didn't have that type of depth this year. What did you expect?

Sigh...

Reactions: vesuvius13
They just fired 2. Might have been the Minnesota and Nebraska. Multiple Minnesota and Nebraska assistants make over 700,000. Illinois assistant 750,000.
you said rutgers. what is the coaching background of the nebraska and minn coaches who make that much? if they were in high demand then you have to pay more to get/keep them. our assts loseually are not in high demand. we are sometimes the stepping stone for up and comers. that won't change

Did you watch the Minnesota game? the Iowa game? Did our defensive scheme change to 2 deep and play 7 yards off the WR because we covered so well? Our safety play was terrible! Allen changed the scheme for the Maryland and PU game it was so bad. The secondary and deep passing game was the weakness of the team.

What kind of results are Rutgers and Illinois getting for that pay ? Your aren't helping your argument here.

In addition, our secondary play was not worse this year - in fact it was much better considering the decline in performance of our front 7. Even with the loss of Fant, our secondary was easily the best part of our defense.

This should not be so difficult. Just bring in an OC who will play two All- American offensive tackles, an NFL quarterback and running back.That worked for CKW.

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and DANC
GET BETTER ASSISTANT COACHES AND PAY THEM MORE!

you said rutgers. what is the coaching background of the nebraska and minn coaches who make that much? if they were in high demand then you have to pay more to get/keep them. our assts loseually are not in high demand. we are sometimes the stepping stone for up and comers. that won't change

Reactions: bang63
We had a 3 year starting safety who had a terrible year. Was Crawford even BIG 10 honorable mention? What changed from 2017 to 2018? The safety coach and depth. Bryant and Fitzgerald were in the program. Bryant and played some. Fant graduated, Andre Brown had a bad year also.

Tom Allen said after Minnesota game. "Your best players need to play good" He was talking about Crawford.

They were both multi year part time starters.

We didn't have that type of depth this year. What did you expect?

Sigh...

Reactions: coachv jr
I have faith in TA not Glass! Give TA the money to pay better assistants or invest in the ones he thinks are worth it. It's not hard to understand. 2017 in my mind was the best freshmen class IU football has ever had. Head, Miller, Cam Jones on defense have big time potential. Scott, Penix, and Ronnie Walker on offense. There is a lot of balance in that class. 2018 could be better. Give TA the ability to build this. Then fans need to step up and go the games.

It is funny one thread wants to replace our assistants and another thread wants to give them a raise.

Give TA the money to pay better assistants or invest in the ones he thinks are worth it.

Allen could have more money and either is deciding to go with a coach he thinks is a better fit, but costs less, or has been turned down by other coaches despite a higher salary offer, you have ZERO evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
You have zero evidence that he does. Are you a fake news reporter? I like how you used the "could" there.

Allen could have more money and either is deciding to go with a coach he thinks is a better fit, but costs less, or has been turned down by other coaches despite a higher salary offer, you have ZERO evidence to the contrary.

Yes, Minnesota has 2 assistants over 700k, but no other assistant made over 260k. IU had 6 assistant making over 300k

You have zero evidence that he does. Are you a fake news reporter? I like how you used the "could" there.

Yes, I have the same evidence (or lack thereof) that you do, but you are the one that is making the most demonstrative conclusions from no evidence. Yes I am using the word "could," I'm just pointing out you should be using similar terminology

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT