ADVERTISEMENT

We Have Some Competition For Our New OC

A recent article here emphasized the need for the new OC to adapt the offense to the players. You've just made the argument that Canada can do that.

So, you weren't satisfied with IU's Offense under him? When have you been satisfied with IU's offense, except under a couple years under Wilson? And I can't believe you grade him down at Maryland, which was an absolute train wreck and an impossible situation.

He was very impressive at NIU - don't downplay that. And I brought up the Alabama win for a reason - he's done it. And at a MAC school. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what would.

He's a solid choice and a Hoosier. We need someone who is not on a learning curve. Canada would be perfect for the job. The only question is, can we afford him. And it appears he's in the running for a HC job.

Pretty impressive for someone not up to your standards.......
If Canada gets the job will I feel disappointed? No.... we could do worse. The question is can we do better?

I think Canada is the feel good choice. I find it interesting that everyone is willing to overlook his rumored assholish demeanor, when many couldn’t cope with CKW. I’m not saying it wouldn’t do us good, I’m saying the Admin will not be happy with it thus I think is a bad choice.

Fact is, he could be the next B.Bryant but if he doesn’t hold his tongue and carry the water, this admin will not keep him around regardless of how good he is. So let’s accept what we are and work within it.

If Canada gets the job will I feel disappointed? No.... we could do worse. The question is can we do better?

I think Canada is the feel good choice. I find it interesting that everyone is willing to overlook his rumored assholish demeanor, when many couldn’t cope with CKW. I’m not saying it wouldn’t do us good, I’m saying the Admin will not be happy with it thus I think is a bad choice.

Fact is, he could be the next B.Bryant but if he doesn’t hold his tongue and carry the water, this admin will not keep him around regardless of how good he is. So let’s accept what we are and work within it.
This is the second reference to Canada's supposedly boorish behavior.

It's my first time hearing about it. Does it involve being kicked out of parties and banned from bars? Or does he speak his mind and not sugar-coat anything?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this, because I'd never heard of it before.

This is the second reference to Canada's supposedly boorish behavior.

It's my first time hearing about it. Does it involve being kicked out of parties and banned from bars? Or does he speak his mind and not sugar-coat anything?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this, because I'd never heard of it before.

Neither have I...

If you're going to character assassinate a guy at least attempt to provide some details.

Just because some Cajun hilljack down In Baton Rouge doesn't like him doesn't mean he's a bad guy...

Last edited:
I don’t know him.... as stated it was rumored...meaning no firsthand knowledge. Just as CKW’s... The General’s was on display from time to time ....

Again, no character assassination intended just utilizing the same judgement and leeway afforded others less “desired” by fan base coaches

i must have missed it but is canada out of work?

You didn't know he's no longer coach, or OC, at Maryland?
I
I have not heard a anything bad about Canada's character outside of this forum. However one has to wonder about why he has been at 9different schools in 24 years. That few have seemed to e lateral moves and not upward moves.

I
I have not heard a anything bad about Canada's character outside of this forum. However one has to wonder about why he has been at 9different schools in 24 years. That few have seemed to e lateral moves and not upward moves.
Oh, he's moved up. You don't get hired at LSU as a lateral move. But look at the circumstances - he's been on some staffs that have been fired and he was part of the staff.

Was OC at NIU when they beat Alabama and he moved voluntarily to IU. Staff was fired and he moved back to NIU, where they won the conference championship. Moved up to Wisconsin, when they won the conference in 2012. Went to NC State to work with his old NIU buddy, Doreen and signed a 3 year contract (they must not have hated him) after the 2014 season. He got let go in 2015 and was hired at PItt, where he was one of 5 finalists for the Broyes Award. In 2016 he goes to LSU, where they 'mutually agreed to part ways' after the 2017 season. then he goes to Maryland, where he did a pretty good job in an awful situation.

Looks like he was in the running at Tennessee this year. According to the article, he would want 'complete control' of the Offense. I don't see where Allen would have a problem with that.

https://atozsportsnashville.com/report-oc-target-off-board-tennessee-vols/

It's not that difficult to google him and realize he did move up.

Reactions: Halfbaked30
scoring 32 points in a team's last 4 games is gonna get a lot of OC's fired

and it shows, again, that in today's game simply having a good-to-great defense is not enough
I was scared to death Watson was going to be retained here before he left. He was at CU for awhile and got stale quick. If you look at Pitts schedule anytime they played a decent team they would get shut down. Hope his name does not come back around.

I was scared to death Watson was going to be retained here before he left. He was at CU for awhile and got stale quick. If you look at Pitts schedule anytime they played a decent team they would get shut down. Hope his name does not come back around.

No worries there. He was the one who poached our WR. I'm sure there's not much love lost...

Oh, he's moved up. You don't get hired at LSU as a lateral move. But look at the circumstances - he's been on some staffs that have been fired and he was part of the staff.

Was OC at NIU when they beat Alabama and he moved voluntarily to IU. Staff was fired and he moved back to NIU, where they won the conference championship. Moved up to Wisconsin, when they won the conference in 2012. Went to NC State to work with his old NIU buddy, Doreen and signed a 3 year contract (they must not have hated him) after the 2014 season. He got let go in 2015 and was hired at PItt, where he was one of 5 finalists for the Broyes Award. In 2016 he goes to LSU, where they 'mutually agreed to part ways' after the 2017 season. then he goes to Maryland, where he did a pretty good job in an awful situation.

Looks like he was in the running at Tennessee this year. According to the article, he would want 'complete control' of the Offense. I don't see where Allen would have a problem with that.

google?

So Dan Werner just joined ole miss after a stint at USC, in 1/5/18 according to Google. Would he make another move so quick?

How about this "out of the box" approach:

We bring in Dan Werner (South Carolina) as Co-OC/QB's Coach, along with Matt Moore (Troy) as Co-OC/OT's & TE's Coach...

Reactions: kobis18
How about this "out of the box" approach:

We bring in Dan Werner (South Carolina) as Co-OC/QB's Coach, along with Matt Moore (Troy) as Co-OC/OT's & TE's Coach...
Would there be too many hands in the cookie jar?

Would there be too many hands in the cookie jar?

Possibly, but as long as they both agreed on a base offense it might drive opposition DC's crazy attempting to figure out tendencies. They could flip a coin as to who finalized the game plan each week... ;)

Another angle to my co-OC approach is that if they are successful early then at least one of them will be subject to poaching by the next tier up. This approach leaves you with one to take over full time...

That was one time and at that time not a move up and then dumped after one year. Granted Ed Orgeron is a loose cannon. But offense did get better the following year.

Another angle to my co-OC approach is that if they are successful early then at least one of them will be subject to poaching by the next tier up. This approach leaves you with one to take over full time...
Moore likely going with Brown to West Virginia as Offensive Coordinator with Brown.

That’s an awfully odd requirement. Almost like it’s backwards designed to limit the pool to the guy you want.

Canada’s results have been mixed. He didn’t impress many of us during his time here as OC. I was ready for him to go then. He had a some success at NIU, Wisconsin, and in one season at Pitt, but stints at NC State, LSU, and Maryland were mediocre with some great games and some absolute disasters. That he’s been at so many places in a short period of time should give anyone pause. While he has sometimes moved on to move up, he’s also been shown the door; both performance and personal conflict seem seem at play when he has been shown the door.

He also seems to have an almost unidentifiable offenseive philosophy. Sure, there’s a commitment to the jet sweep and pre-snap movement, but when asked - in his own words - he said that his philosophy was players first. In my read, that means that you don’t have a philosophy. He has tactics and no strategy - a younger version of the DeBoard complaints that said he had a lot of plays and no philosophy. It means that he’s always chasing players and changing his strategy instead of developing a real, winning system. It kind of explains how he presides over strange ups and downs in performance.

I think one of the most important things you can do at a place like IU is develop a clear philosophy, recruit to it, and refine it, perfect it over time. That’s not Canada’s MO.

In Canada's defense his teams almost all got better after he arrived and worse after he left. He did as much as any OC has ever done under Ogeron. He improved Maryland substantially and did it without a quarterback. His teams always run well which would be huge for Indiana. Not sure why he did not have more success the first go round, but the head coach was not very good and that effects the OC.

That was one time and at that time not a move up and then dumped after one year. Granted Ed Orgeron is a loose cannon. But offense did get better the following year.
So we should ignore the rest of his career?

In Canada's defense his teams almost all got better after he arrived and worse after he left. He did as much as any OC has ever done under Ogeron. He improved Maryland substantially and did it without a quarterback. His teams always run well which would be huge for Indiana. Not sure why he did not have more success the first go round, but the head coach was not very good and that effects the OC.
Actually there is only one season where there was a significant change in scoring and that was PItt they went up 9 points in scoring and then down 12 points the year after.
NIU year before 31.2 to32.2 to 35.1
IU 23.5 to 27.2 to 21.8
NIU 38 to 30.3 to 38.6
Wisconsin 44.1 to 28.9 to 34.8
NC St 27 to 30.2 to 27
PItt 26.1 to 35.2 to 23.9
LSU 28.3 to 27.2 to 33.4
The first is scoring before Canada the next is with Canada and third is year after
If you really look there is really no significant change.

A recent article here emphasized the need for the new OC to adapt the offense to the players. You've just made the argument that Canada can do that.

So, you weren't satisfied with IU's Offense under him? When have you been satisfied with IU's offense, except under a couple years under Wilson? And I can't believe you grade him down at Maryland, which was an absolute train wreck and an impossible situation.

He was very impressive at NIU - don't downplay that. And I brought up the Alabama win for a reason - he's done it. And at a MAC school. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what would.

He's a solid choice and a Hoosier. We need someone who is not on a learning curve. Canada would be perfect for the job. The only question is, can we afford him. And it appears he's in the running for a HC job.

Pretty impressive for someone not up to your standards.......
Come on he beat a Mike Shula coached Alabama team and they scored 19 points ... while we are at we might as well give PJ Fleck credit too as he played in the game.

Reactions: goody1986
Come on he beat a Mike Shula coached Alabama team and they scored 19 points ... while we are at we might as well give PJ Fleck credit too as he played in the game.
How many points did the offensive genius up north score against Auburn?

Actually there is only one season where there was a significant change in scoring and that was PItt they went up 9 points in scoring and then down 12 points the year after.
NIU year before 31.2 to32.2 to 35.1
IU 23.5 to 27.2 to 21.8
NIU 38 to 30.3 to 38.6
Wisconsin 44.1 to 28.9 to 34.8
NC St 27 to 30.2 to 27
PItt 26.1 to 35.2 to 23.9
LSU 28.3 to 27.2 to 33.4
The first is scoring before Canada the next is with Canada and third is year after
If you really look there is really no significant change.

Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT