ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA B1G?

You can throw out just about any tradition associated with college football now. Traditional rivalries will disappear. Think Oregon and Oregon State or Washington vs WSU. I never envisioned a day when kids who haven’t played a down of college football would sign NIL deals worth millions. But, it’s here. Some of this could backfire and lose viewership. We’ll see.
The Golden Goose could easily get strangled in all of this. Lots of pressure to maintain the status quo. We definitely have the program we have demanded.

Go Hoosiers.

You can throw out just about any tradition associated with college football now. Traditional rivalries will disappear. Think Oregon and Oregon State or Washington vs WSU. I never envisioned a day when kids who haven’t played a down of college football would sign NIL deals worth millions. But, it’s here. Some of this could backfire and lose viewership. We’ll see.
you can still see great rivalries in D3 and some in D2. But you/re right otherwise.

You realize that when two teams play football, one of them has to lose right?
For those of us who have been big IU football fans for years, that has been the unfortunate but undeniable reality. You realize that the schools n top now haven’t always been there, right? The landscape of the sport can and does change.

Go Hoosiers.

If I am not mistaken, the University of Chicago is the only school with full Big Ten membership that has ever left or been kicked out of the Big Ten. As that was because of a philosophical decision to end their athletic program, they still retain an academic association with the Big Ten.

Has anyone ever left or been kicked out of the SEC?
No. Sewanee deemphasized college athletics to focus on academics. They were horrid in the conference. Tulane had the same problem, they couldn't keep up with the big boys. Tech was actually a powerful program in the SEC. However Dodds feuded with Bear Bryant for many reason, mostly because Bryant would over scholarship players, cut scholarshipped players who under-performed and replace them with new recruits. Things fell apart when a Bama player purposefully knocked out a Tech player with a nasty hit, ruining the Tech player's football career.

Last edited:
No. Sewanee deemphasized college athletics to focus on academics. They were horrid in the conference. Tulane had the same problem, they couldn't keep up with the big boys. Tech was actually a powerful program in the SEC. However Dodds feuded with Bear Bryant for many reason, mostly because Bryant would cut scholarshipped players who under-performed and replace them with new recruits. Things fell apart when a Bama player purposefully knocked out a Tech player with a nasty hit, ruining the Tech player's football career.
For a pretty good history of realignment, check out this article:

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_..._football_conference_realignment/s1__35741384

The obvious matchups for us (at least in my opinion) are p u , Illinois , and Northwestern...

We could discontinue the Old Brass Spittoon game (M$U) and nobody would miss it other than a few of us old timers... Nationally you'd be hard pressed to find many who know it even exists...

Creating two new trophies for the IL and NW games shouldn't be too tough and have to be more interesting than a spittoon...

The IL Trophy could be "The Split Rail" for Lincoln having formed his integrity here and his political career there...

The NW Trophy could be "The Steel Rail"* for the old Monon train line that ran from Bloomington to Chicago... *(Someone can probably come up with something better and I encourage the effort...)😎

**Perhaps a better IU vs NW trophy might be "The University Seal Trophy" made up of each of our respective school seals cut into two limestone flagstones making up each side of it, 1' x 1' x 1/2" deep, and framed in old rough cut oak, with three 8" long chains hanging beneath it 3.5 " apart, with multiple engravable brass placards hung on them (whoever wins gets the date along with the score engraved on the respective placard on both sides of it...)...
Whoever has possession of it hangs it on a wall with their respective Seal facing out...**

Last edited:
The obvious matchups for us (at least in my opinion) are p u , Illinois , and Northwestern...

We could discontinue the Old Brass Spittoon game (M$U) and nobody would miss it other than a few of us old timers... Nationally you'd be hard pressed to find many who know it even exists...

Creating two new trophies for the IL and NW games shouldn't be too tough and have to be more interesting than a spittoon...

The IL Trophy could be "The Split Rail" for Lincoln having formed his integrity here and his political career there...

The NW Trophy could be "The Steel Rail"* for the old Monon train line that ran from Bloomington to Chicago... *(Someone can probably come up with something better and I encourage the effort...)😎

**Perhaps a better IU vs NW trophy might be "The University Seal Trophy" made up of each of our respective school seals cut into two limestone flagstones making up each side of it, 1' x 1' x 1/2" deep, and framed in old rough cut oak, with three 8" long chains hanging beneath it 3.5 " apart, with multiple engravable brass placards hung on them (whoever wins gets the date along with the score engraved on the respective placard on both sides of it...)...
Whoever has possession of it hangs it on a wall with their respective Seal facing out...**
I want the split tail trophy. 😬

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT