ADVERTISEMENT

UL Coaching Search Over — Pat Kelsey Hired

Tammany Hall

All-American
Dec 10, 2010

A long and interesting search for UL...

Update: Done deal.

Last edited:
Here in Terre Haute we had heard Schertz and three players to Louisville but rumors are rumors until finalized.

Reactions: kkott
Here in Terre Haute we had heard Schertz and three players to Louisville but rumors are rumors until finalized.
Sounds like Schertz passed per Norlander. But yea, not final until UL or the coach says so.

Pat could change his mind, but as of now all the big CBB accounts are saying this is close to done.
That is one example why IU passing up Dusty May now may end up being another in a long line of dumb decisions. You notice most of these hires even for bigger schools like Michigan and UL are not guys who were proven on a P5 level they are mid major guys. I think trying to get P5 coach to switch is very difficult and these are the type of guys you most likely get to pick from.

Well- Whoever is updating his Wikipedia page thinks it’s a done deal. He’s listed as head coach of Louisville. Never thought to look there for breaking news.

Reactions: Jssanto
That is one example why IU passing up Dusty May now may end up being another in a long line of dumb decisions. You notice most of these hires even for bigger schools like Michigan and UL are not guys who were proven on a P5 level they are mid major guys. I think trying to get P5 coach to switch is very difficult and these are the type of guys you most likely get to pick from.
I've said it countless times: conduct a thorough search when it's time, and turn over every rock. Any good, competent AD should constantly be talking with coaches and keeping tabs on who's where and doing what so you already have a partial list in mind should an opening occur. Then, talk with everyone you believe is a possible candidate. That is our most likely method to identify a "program changer" as a coach. If you hired the "hot candidate" IU would not have hired a 30 something coach from Army, nor would've Duke hired one from Army several years later. I don't know if it's May, Kelsey, Scherz or someone else, but our AD should've been and should be making a point to be in contact with guys like that every year and let them know he's impressed with the job they are doing and IU would like to talk with them should that opp ever arise in the future.

So hiring a mid major coach is risky and so IU is going to regret not taking that risk as soon as possible with May? Three years removed from our last risky mid major coach flaming out?

You will tie yourself in knots to crap on IU.

If it’s true that Michigan was able to outbid UL for May with $3.75 million a year, it’ll be interesting to see what UL will be paying Kelsey

If it’s true that Michigan was able to outbid UL for May with $3.75 million a year, it’ll be interesting to see what UL will be paying Kelsey
It will be interesting again the updated rumor here in Terre Haute that Shertz turned down an offer of 3 million for the Louisville job. Who knows if any of that is true, but ISU is breathing easier at least until their season ends next week.

It will be interesting again the updated rumor here in Terre Haute that Shertz turned down an offer of 3 million for the Louisville job. Who knows if any of that is true, but ISU is breathing easier at least until their season ends next week.
And what I read is that he's still considering SLU. So turned down UL, but hasn't decided about SLU.

So hiring a mid major coach is risky and so IU is going to regret not taking that risk as soon as possible with May? Three years removed from our last risky mid major coach flaming out?

You will tie yourself in knots to crap on IU.
TBF, he did say, "may"

Yep - like Archie Miller.

Reactions: asindc
$2.3M/yr for Kelsey. Kenny Payne was $3.4M/yr. Not sure what UL offered Dusty, but it was probably a bit less than UM’s offer.

I also wonder how much Dusty factored in UM maybe being an easier job — less pressure at a FB school, less work to do to rebuild, similar to higher NIL?, ACC may fall apart. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Speaking of candidates if next season goes in the shit can we should talk to Brad Brownell Evansville native now has taken Clemson to elite eight and one other sweet sixteen.

$2.3M/yr for Kelsey. Kenny Payne was $3.4M/yr. Not sure what UL offered Dusty, but it was probably a bit less than UM’s offer.

I also wonder how much Dusty factored in UM maybe being an easier job — less pressure at a FB school, less work to do to rebuild, similar to higher NIL?, ACC may fall apart. Interesting stuff.
I think it's more, do you want a premium university like Michigan, where you'll get some guys who actually care about its academic reputation, so you may keep them an extra year or two. Or, Louisville, much further down that list, so you will focus on recruiting more one and dones.

Smart coach may see Michigan as a better chance to get traditional kids instead of purely mercenary types.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT