ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Raasch From NorthWood (Another Prospect Post)

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Last edited:
Back in the day this was the kind of player coach Knight recruited . They didn’t fill up the highlight films with dunks and acrobatic moves , they were just good fundamental players . They came , developed , and stayed more than 1 year . Guys like Green , Abernathy , Laskowski , and others . It’s great to have some so called 1 and dones , but you need these type of guys to keep your program together when the 1 and dones go pro . Galloway is that type of player on the team today .

Gotta ask: have you seen this kid play, or are you saying this based off the "highlights"? When I hit play on the other highlights, they all called up the same clip vs Beech Grove, and it might not even be the right kid because the info says Napannee, but the clips are of a kid from Brownsburg. No way you can say this is a kid that can play today, or could have for RMK based off 1 27 second highlight clip of a block and breakaway dunk. RMK also coached 40 years ago, and the players CMW wants today could be vastly different. Finally, I don't know about Laz's or Abernathy's games in HS, but Steve Green was a very gifted scorer/shooter. This kid may or may not be, but there's no way to tell from the linked highlights.

Reactions: steelyvan
Gotta ask: have you seen this kid play, or are you saying this based off the "highlights"? When I hit play on the other highlights, they all called up the same clip vs Beech Grove, and it might not even be the right kid because the info says Napannee, but the clips are of a kid from Brownsburg. No way you can say this is a kid that can play today, or could have for RMK based off 1 27 second highlight clip of a block and breakaway dunk. RMK also coached 40 years ago, and the players CMW wants today could be vastly different. Finally, I don't know about Laz's or Abernathy's games in HS, but Steve Green was a very gifted scorer/shooter. This kid may or may not be, but there's no way to tell from the linked highlights.
Watched him in 2 or 3 regular season games that were streamed and in the State Championship game, highlights don't really do him justice (that Brownsburg highlight video is him at the Sneakers 4 Santa tournament in December), but like Brockettman said, doesn't really do anything jaw dropping. He had his best all around performance of the season in the state championship game. He played 31 of the 37 minutes (game went into OT) and had 14 points 13 rebounds and 6 blocks in the win.

Watched him in 2 or 3 regular season games that were streamed and in the State Championship game, highlights don't really do him justice (that Brownsburg highlight video is him at the Sneakers 4 Santa tournament in December), but like Brockettman said, doesn't really do anything jaw dropping. He had his best all around performance of the season in the state championship game. He played 31 of the 37 minutes (game went into OT) and had 14 points 13 rebounds and 6 blocks in the win.
Thanks, solid #s, especially for a championship game. Can he shoot?

Reactions: ulrey
6'8" F/C who averaged 9.5 PPG 7 RPG as a Sophmore for this year's 3A State Champions. Was named to the Large School All State team after this past season.

He doesn’t fit with what Woodson wants to recruit. Kid to keep an eye on is the Pickett kid from FW Blackhawk. 6’9 and can shoot from 3.

Here's my scouting report on Raasch (he plays in my sons conference, for what its worth).

As of now, probably not a great IU fit. He's skilled around the basket, uses his body well, underrated leaper (dunks easily), and solid mid range and in shooter. But I would see him as more of a mid major level prospect, and if he develops into a high major and/or grows a couple more inches, he's probably more of a Wisconsin/Purdue type of big...not necessarily the types it seems Woody has targeted.

Lots of question marks though. Will he develop any more quickness? Will he increase his effective shooting range? How comfortable will he become handling the ball away from the basket? His older brother, while being more of a perimeter oriented player, did improve quite a lot his last couple years of high school...maybe he will too? Northwood focused a lot on their two main senior, perimeter players last year. Tyler was opportunistic, but it'll be interesting to see how he handles being the focal point.

Here's my scouting report on Raasch (he plays in my sons conference, for what its worth).

As of now, probably not a great IU fit. He's skilled around the basket, uses his body well, underrated leaper (dunks easily), and solid mid range and in shooter. But I would see him as more of a mid major level prospect, and if he develops into a high major and/or grows a couple more inches, he's probably more of a Wisconsin/Purdue type of big...not necessarily the types it seems Woody has targeted.

Lots of question marks though. Will he develop any more quickness? Will he increase his effective shooting range? How comfortable will he become handling the ball away from the basket? His older brother, while being more of a perimeter oriented player, did improve quite a lot his last couple years of high school...maybe he will too? Northwood focused a lot on their two main senior, perimeter players last year. Tyler was opportunistic, but it'll be interesting to see how he handles being the focal point.
Thanks! What's the scouting report on your son?

Thanks! What's the scouting report on your son?
Hmmm...not applicable to an IU basketball website. Ha ha.

6'0"...good feel for the game, plus outside shooter, plus ball handling, plus on the ball defending...needs to add weight and strength, and get stronger with the ball, to become a contributing small college player.

Would need quite a lot of improvement, in a lot of areas, to become D1 level. Though he does hold his own pretty well overall when he faces them. But to be D1 as a sophomore to be, you need to be very dynamic, and have people that seek your games out, just to watch you. He isn't that type of player right now.

But he's a well rounded kid, good soccer player too, 4.0 student...he'll end up playing either soccer or bball in college somewhere if he wants to, I'm sure. He'll just need to improve a fair bit to be really good once he gets there.

6'0"...good feel for the game, plus outside shooter, plus ball handling, plus on the ball defending...needs to add weight and strength, and get stronger with the ball, to become a contributing small college player.

Would need quite a lot of improvement, in a lot of areas, to become D1 level. Though he does hold his own pretty well overall when he faces them. But to be D1 as a sophomore to be, you need to be very dynamic, and have people that seek your games out, just to watch you. He isn't that type of player right now.

But he's a well rounded kid, good soccer player too, 4.0 student...he'll end up playing either soccer or bball in college somewhere if he wants to, I'm sure. He'll just need to improve a fair bit to be really good once he gets there.
Just funning with you, but good report.

If I could still play in a Saturday morning pickup game, I'd have a spot for him every Saturday! Always like those IN ballers!

can I get your scouting report on Lucy?

I think IU has a soccer team!! 😁

Reactions: kkott
as you may remember, big george mcginnis used to say the toughest kid he played against in his high school/college era was steve green. gifted defender and rebounder too.

Nappanee is the city, NorthWood is the high school in it

Nappanee is the city, NorthWood is the high school in it
My heart goes out to Tyler and his older brother Ian. They lost their mother to cancer a couple years ago. So I wish those boys the best life possible. I believe Ian is going to Grace College in Winona Lake so he won't be too far away. I do wonder how he will like living so close to Warsaw since Northwood and Warsaw are usually big rivals.

My heart goes out to Tyler and his older brother Ian. They lost their mother to cancer a couple years ago. So I wish those boys the best life possible. I believe Ian is going to Grace College in Winona Lake so he won't be too far away. I do wonder how he will like living so close to Warsaw since Northwood and Warsaw are usually big rivals.
Warsaw isn't really a big rival for Northwood. They're the biggest school in the conference, so everyone kind of "hates" them. But Northwoods two big rivals are Goshen and Northridge.

Lots of NLC kids end up playing for various teams in Grace's conference. And that is some really, really good basketball. About as good as you can get as far as small college ball goes.

Reactions: dr.jb and kkott
Warsaw isn't really a big rival for Northwood. They're the biggest school in the conference, so everyone kind of "hates" them. But Northwoods two big rivals are Goshen and Northridge.

Lots of NLC kids end up playing for various teams in Grace's conference. And that is some really, really good basketball. About as good as you can get as far as small college ball goes.
Isn't Steve Alford's son Kory coaching one of those type of teams? I am thinking Huntington college could be in that conference. Coach Kory is getting the guard out of Northwood who I think is named Cade Brennar???

Isn't Steve Alford's son Kory coaching one of those type of teams? I am thinking Huntington college could be in that conference. Coach Kory is getting the guard out of Northwood who I think is named Cade Brennar???
He is coaching at Huntington, who is in that conference. Brenner is going there I believe. Indiana Wesleyan has been one of the better teams in that conference for a while. Grace has been good lately. Bethel is kind of an "IU" like historical force in that program, that isn't quite as good lately...St Francis is always solid, Marian, Huntington, Taylor, Goshen...they've added Spring Arbor and one other in the last few years. Very, very good basketball top to bottom.

He is coaching at Huntington, who is in that conference. Brenner is going there I believe. Indiana Wesleyan has been one of the better teams in that conference for a while. Grace has been good lately. Bethel is kind of an "IU" like historical force in that program, that isn't quite as good lately...St Francis is always solid, Marian, Huntington, Taylor, Goshen...they've added Spring Arbor and one other in the last few years. Very, very good basketball top to bottom.
Last season I had the chance to see Washington Indiana's Grant Niehaus play for Taylor. I had watched quite a few of his games on Youtube so it was great seeing him there. I love it that these players get to still play the game at the college level and have a free education to boot.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'm 95% sure that Green talked about playing against George as a high school kid in an episode of Isenbarger's TV show.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I'm 95% sure that Green talked about playing against George as a high school kid in an episode of Isenbarger's TV show.
Very unlikely. George graduated from Washington in 1969. Green graduated from Silver Creek in 1971 and was Knight’s first recruit. Can’t imagine how those schools would have ever played each other.

EDIT: I’ll be damned. They did play against each other in the semi-state in 1969. Pretty sure we all know how that turned out.

Very unlikely. George graduated from Washington in 1969. Green graduated from Silver Creek in 1972 and was Knight’s first recruit. Can’t imagine how those schools would have ever played each other.
Green was a '71 recruit for Knight, maybe his first commit. But I seem to remember him talking about traveling to play and there was something related to his dad's involvement as a HS coach. Indy, Louisville, maybe somewhere else. I'll try to find the episode. It's ran on a localish Church channel here, but might have wider distribution.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT