ADVERTISEMENT

The Senate finally has a bill

So…open borders is the law of the land?
No. I fear you are trying to unfairly shift terms here to misrepresent things. We are talking about asylum. There is currently, it appears, no limit on the number of people who can claim asylum. Because such a high proportion of the people entering the country are claiming asylum, that is the particular issue that is such a major part of this bill.

As everyone is trying to tell you, something better is NOT coming. How do you think it is? Do you think Democrats are going to give Trump ANY victories? What about when Biden is president again? The Border Patrol, CBP, heck even some people at Fox News are saying to pass this bill. So you’d rather hold out for perfect than at least START dealing with the problem? Good luck. As usual, nothing will get done. And partly because Trump doesn’t want Biden to get a win. Good luck getting better in this environment. There will be little to no negotiating as long as the right is controlled by Trump’s every whim and fancy.
It’s an invasion!!! It’s a crisis!!!

But, it’s an election year, so we’re gonna hold off on legislation.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
No. I fear you are trying to unfairly shift terms here to misrepresent things. We are talking about asylum. There is currently, it appears, no limit on the number of people who can claim asylum. Because such a high proportion of the people entering the country are claiming asylum, that is the particular issue that is such a major part of this bill.
I get that but I don’t see how it can possibly play out. Those numbers mean nothing. I read what twenty posted…it is an improvement if put into action.

I asked earlier….how is it enforced. I linked to the Arizona case. If the Feds, whoever has the executive branch, don’t enforce the law….what does it matter.

It’s no more an invasion than Jan 6th was an insurrection
I’ll put you down as trying to say it’s not an invasion by brown people because a bunch of white people beat cops and wiped shit on the walls.

What about a crisis? Is it a crisis?

Just stop it. Biden specifically invited people to the US because “that is who we are”. Calling these people asylum seekers is a damn joke. They aren’t they are refugees. Asylum is individual, General horrible conditions affecting thousands of people is not grounds for asylum. Asylum grounds is individual and is a particular individual harm, not general danger present in the whole community or country.

In any event, there is no reason to admit people before their asylum claim is adjudicated.

Biden FUBARED the idea of border control and asylum. I don’t know if Mayorkas or his advisors even told him how bad things are. This bill perpetuates the Biden view about asylum and even codifies it. The bill is not an improvement and must not pass.

Reactions: jet812
That's a good argument for voting out a President, but it's a bad argument for not passing needed reforms. Congress needs to do its job, regardless.
Congress passes a law that limits who or how many can enter the country. We spend a bunch of money to implement. The executive refuses to enforce the provisions. These are mandatory. Can a member of Congress or a state sue for enforcement?

There’s some 1,400 person thing than 75 percent in some period.
After reading it again, it’s not a 7 day rolling average? If correct, theoretically you could have on Monday 4,999 encounters, 6 consecutive days of 8,499. Rinse and repeat the entire year and never shut the border one time. That would be almost 3 million encounters without shutting the border🤣. Please tell me it’s a rolling average and I can’t read?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
After reading it again, it’s not a 7 day rolling average? If correct, theoretically you could have on Monday 4,999 encounters, 6 consecutive days of 8,499. Rinse and repeat the entire year and never shut the border one time. That would be almost 3 million encounters without shutting the border🤣. Please tell me it’s a rolling average and I can’t read?
i don't think you're reading that right lol.

Then why are you so opposed to a bill that would, in part, restrict the currently far-too-lenient test for who can apply for asylum?

Good point.

Past history reveals 50% of those asking for asylum get it no matter who is president.

Given this, could it be our current laws regarding asylum need reform ? Reform doesn't mean accepting more asylum seekers.

Ok. Gotcha. So, it is a 7 day rolling average? That’s what I thought the first time, but when I went back and read Marv’a article it wasn’t clear (or I missed it).
I think if it says "in any seven-day period" that needs to be read as a rolling average. Can't justify splitting arbitrarily into weeks unless the statute is specific on that point.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Barrasso: “Joe Biden will never enforce any new law and refuses to use the tools he already has today to end this crisis. I cannot vote for this bill. Americans will turn to the upcoming election to end the border crisis.”

As far as I know he’s part of leadership. Did he just read the bill? Something seems off

Barrasso: “Joe Biden will never enforce any new law and refuses to use the tools he already has today to end this crisis. I cannot vote for this bill. Americans will turn to the upcoming election to end the border crisis.”

As far as I know he’s part of leadership. Did he just read the bill? Something seems off

Irrelevant. It's dead.

Then why are you so opposed to a bill that would, in part, restrict the currently far-too-lenient test for who can apply for asylum?
I oppose it because the law codifies the Biden erroneous interpretation.

The restriction seems to be in numbers which is an illusory number and is far higher than historical standards.

Why not pass a bill which our eventual president Trump could endorse ?

Just end asylum as in the book End Asylum.

A review of the book End Asylum in part has the to say with the Trump approach being in bold letters...

In The End of Asylum, three experts in immigration law offer a comprehensive examination of the rise and demise of the US asylum system. Beginning with the Refugee Act of 1980, they describe how Congress adopted a definition of refugee based on the UN Refugee Convention and prescribed equitable and transparent procedures for a uniform asylum process. The authors then chart the evolution of this process, showing how Republican and Democratic administrations and Congresses tweaked the asylum system but maintained it as a means of protecting victims of persecution—until the Trump administration. By expanding his executive reach, twisting obscure provisions in the law, undermining past precedents, and creating additional obstacles for asylum seekers, Trump's policies have effectively ended asylum. The book concludes with a roadmap and a call to action for the Biden administration and Congress to repair and reform the US asylum system.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Why not pass a bill which our eventual president Trump could endorse ?

Just end asylum as in the book End Asylum.

A review of the book End Asylum in part has the to say with the Trump approach being in bold letters...

In The End of Asylum, three experts in immigration law offer a comprehensive examination of the rise and demise of the US asylum system. Beginning with the Refugee Act of 1980, they describe how Congress adopted a definition of refugee based on the UN Refugee Convention and prescribed equitable and transparent procedures for a uniform asylum process. The authors then chart the evolution of this process, showing how Republican and Democratic administrations and Congresses tweaked the asylum system but maintained it as a means of protecting victims of persecution—until the Trump administration. By expanding his executive reach, twisting obscure provisions in the law, undermining past precedents, and creating additional obstacles for asylum seekers, Trump's policies have effectively ended asylum. The book concludes with a roadmap and a call to action for the Biden administration and Congress to repair and reform the US asylum system.
'Reform' is the key. Not ban.

Our asylum laws are turning into suicide pacts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT