ADVERTISEMENT

The Eclipse Thread

I saw an "annular" eclipse in northern Indiana in the 1994. We went outside with those cheap cardboard eclipse sunglasses. Somebody at the business thought ahead and bought a couple dozen.

Thing was, the distance of the moon from earth was further, so it left the rim of sun exposed. Went across very centered though so it was still very cool. Got pretty dark and the rim was as much red as yellow. To me it counts! lol

Good luck for good viewing weather to all of you who will get to see the real thing!

I'm in northern Mich now so only a little bit up here I think.

After the Bloomington Symphony concert at Switchyard we drove through town and campus. Town was crowded, maybe football game weekend crowded. A lot of people walking, traffic was fairly low. Campus was pretty empty.

I think a lot of townies are opting to not go anywhere, I heard that a lot over the last week.

I'm considering driving down to Ossian or Bluffton. It's only 30 minutes. Nice day, convertible. How bad could it be?
I don't know, parts of Bloomington appear empty. It feels like Thanksgiving. People who were on campus an hour ago said it was eerily empty. Maybe everyone opted for all these other towns.

It’s eerily quiet on the extension right now, a few guys sitting outside playing music but that’s it.

Last edited:
I don't know, parts of Bloomington appear empty. It feels like Thanksgiving. People who were on campus an hour ago said it was eerily empty. Maybe everyone opted for all these other towns.

It’s eerily quiet on the tension right now, a few guys sitting outside playing music but that’s it.

Concur. I drove over on 46 from Ellettsville, down Fee to 10th, across campus to downtown, then down College to 1st and back up Walnut. Lots of small groups of people milling around, but little traffic and the parking lots are close to empty. The hellscape all were predicting is not happening, and all the people hoping to cash in on parking and the like are going to be really really disappointed.

Weather gods have been good to us. Gorgeous blue sky with just a smattering of high, wispy clouds, temps in the 70s. Couldn't have asked for any better.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Concur. I drove over on 46 from Ellettsville, down Fee to 10th, across campus to downtown, then down College to 1st and back up Walnut. Lots of small groups of people milling around, but little traffic and the parking lots are close to empty. The hellscape all were predicting is not happening, and all the people hoping to cash in on parking and the like are going to be really really disappointed.

Weather gods have been good to us. Gorgeous blue sky with just a smattering of high, wispy clouds, temps in the 70s. Couldn't have asked for any better.
When I went to the last one, the town I was in, Paducah, KY didn’t look that crowded or busy that day up to and including the eclipse. But then I got on the interstate to go home and sat in traffic for hours and hours.

When I went to the last one, the town I was in, Paducah, KY didn’t look that crowded or busy that day up to and including the eclipse. But then I got on the interstate to go home and sat in traffic for hours and hours.

That was my experience, leaving was a disasyer. We will see about this one. If it is that way, the 2 mile stretch that 69 north of Martinsville is one lane is going to be a real problem.

That's been the narrative here, that the gridlock will occur when it's over and everyone tries to leave at once.

Again, with football we're used to moving large crowds in and out, and from the looks of it we aren't seeing many more people than what we see on a football weekend. Of course, today they're not all concentrated in one spot, so my observations may be faulty.

Reactions: BradStevens
That was my experience, leaving was a disasyer. We will see about this one. If it is that way, the 2 mile stretch that 69 north of Martinsville is one lane is going to be a real problem.

I'd be surprised if there's a lot of north/south traffic, since north and south are also in the zone of totality. I'd suspect more east/west. Meaning SR 46, which could be a cluster. Yesterday the Flatwoods area west of Ellettsville was all taped off and the big churches out there were selling parking for $40. Doing the Lord's work, of course.

Reactions: BradStevens
I'd be surprised if there's a lot of north/south traffic, since north and south are also in the zone of totality. I'd suspect more east/west. Meaning SR 46, which could be a cluster. Yesterday the Flatwoods area west of Ellettsville was all taped off and the big churches out there were selling parking for $40. Doing the Lord's work, of course.

I saw a 9AM photo of 46 in Ellettesville, it was empty. We are out at Olcott, not very crowded. Bloomington Parks at Switchyard had a post, said they already have met people from 20 different states.

My buddy that came stayed in a hotel and he said it was sold out. In fact, all were reported sold out. I still think it is a good football weekend crowd, I doubt businesses will complain too much.

I saw yesterday Indianapolis had the most Airbnb bookings in the country. Given Dallas and Cleveland are along totality, that is pretty impressive.

I have to be in Louisville by 6:30pm. From Carmel. It's a two hour ish drive normally.

I hope I'm not totally fooked. I'm trying to leave the moment after totality is achieved.

A total solar eclipse and Purdue in the championship game. The ancients would have been frightened of such rare ill-omens occuring on the same day and began human sacrifices.
Some friends were just talking about something similar. How freaked out ancient civilizations would be to see an eclipse and on top of that they'd do permanent damage to their eyes when they looked at it? There would be some craziness and trying to figure out why the gods were punishing them for sure.

Some friends were just talking about something similar. How freaked out ancient civilizations would be to see an eclipse and on top of that they'd do permanent damage to their eyes when they looked at it? There would be some craziness and trying to figure out why the gods were punishing them for sure.
I was thinking how freaked out an ancient civilization would be at the thought of Purdue winning a natty in men’s basketball. . .

I was thinking how freaked out an ancient civilization would be at the thought of Purdue winning a natty in men’s basketball. . .

I'm still trying to figure out why the basketball gods are punishing me...

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT