ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for the raise, kids

Except living through the depression, fighting WW2 and Korean War, and establishing the programs you’re talking about, they’ve gotten a free ride all the way. Moochers.
Incredible to think what that generation experienced. My grandfather used to talk a lot about the depression. It was amazing how it shaped him. He missed military service because he had polio. His one leg looked like a broomstick. He used to say the only good of it was that it allowed him to meet Babe Ruth, who was generous enough with his time to visit Children's Hospital when he was a patient.

He had a strong, overdeveloped upper body as a result of polio. On more than one occasion he swam across the Mississippi. No small feat. He eventually became a commercial artist. A generation of Busch beer cans showed off his lettering. Even though he did well financially, he took a single roll of HI Ho crackers every day for lunch and drove this beauty below - in yellow. We'd all do well to spend more time with what that generation experienced as we go about our activities of daily living.

Companies have been (or should have been) doing that for a while thanks to Richard Thaler.
One of the problems with SS is they kept expanding its original purpose. But JDB has some good points. There was a lot of politics involved in the changes made. If interest rates rise quite a bit the government interest payments are gonna jump a lot and that will make the deficit even higher. This is what we are leaving our kids stuck with but the fault is none other than the politicians of last 60-70 years.

july-net-interest-blog-chart-3.jpg

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You paid dearly because your generation created a population problem (were too drugged up and selfish to reproduce at high enough levels), has spent a considerable amount of time in power without solving any long-term economic issue (SS, Medicare/Healthcare costs, etc.) and didn't save anything for retirement because you expect to suckle at the government tit for the rest of your miserable lives.

So yea...

no-shit-sherlock.gif
Yes, but our music was the best.

His dad says, "hello."

His inheritance says, "goodbye."

my dad was a clown who couldn’t hold and job and retired early thanks to my grandfather. Even though my mom worked her ass and made more money than him, there isn’t any inheritance.

I’ve never borrowed a dime from them and don’t plan to. But I’m well aware I’ll be on the hook to fund their later life.

my dad was a clown who couldn’t hold and job and retired early thanks to my grandfather. Even though my mom worked her ass and made more money than him, there isn’t any inheritance.

I’ve never borrowed a dime from them and don’t plan to. But I’m well aware I’ll be on the hook to fund their later life.
Your attitude toward Boomers makes more sense now.

Well, I guess it all evens out in some strange cosmic way. When we met with our Morgan Stanley guy several months ago he showed us at the end what the kids are going to get and my eyes about popped out. "If you want to do some of those bucket list things, like going to Monza for the F1 race, you should do it."

Thank you, Apple stock.

Well, I guess it all evens out in some strange cosmic way. When we met with our Morgan Stanley guy several months ago he showed us at the end what the kids are going to get and my eyes about popped out. "If you want to do some of those bucket list things, like going to Monza for the F1 race, you should do it."

Thank you, Apple stock.
My philosophy now that my daughter and son-in-law are somewhat successful is: If you don't fly first class, your kids will.

When I was younger, I had dreams of leaving a large inhertance. Now, screw it - my goal is to run out of money on the day I die.

Thank you, Apple stock.

I just hope your kids appreciate it as too many often don't.

Your attitude toward Boomers makes more sense now.

It shouldn't. In fact, I commend the Boomers for breaking down gender barriers since my Mom was the first generation where women holding jobs was relatively common.

Here's a question for you, since you complain about how much you've had to pay in, did you ever vote against rising taxes and welfare?

It shouldn't. In fact, I commend the Boomers for breaking down gender barriers since my Mom was the first generation where women holding jobs was relatively common.

My mom was the primary breadwinner in our family.

Here's a question for you, since you complain about how much you've had to pay in, did you ever vote against rising taxes and welfare?

You must be really, really confused. I've never complained about what I've paid in. In fact, I posted a thread last summer about how I was feeling chagrined for not paying any Federal Income taxes the previous year. Yes, I joke about paying for schools while being childless and subsidizing home ownership while not owning a "real" home, but it should be obvious to anyone with any sense I'm not being serious. But as this recent part of this thread has shown, I do like to poke at sacred cows and try and illustrate the hypocrisy of those who claim they're being taken advantage of.

I just watched a mediocre documentary on Led Zeppelin, but god damn is the music good. I don't care what anyone says, Jimmy Page is still my favorite on the guitar.

Well, then, there's hope for you. Listen to Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Derek Trucks.

Reactions: UncleMark
Well, then, there's hope for you. Listen to Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Derek Trucks.

I've heard them all, my dad was a yuge Allman bros. fan. Of those, I like SRV (more the taste, not necessarily based solely on guitar), though some Santana I don't mind in the right mood.

I tend to favor harder rock, so guys like EVH and Randy Rhoads are up there.

Incredible to think what that generation experienced. My grandfather used to talk a lot about the depression. It was amazing how it shaped him. He missed military service because he had polio. His one leg looked like a broomstick. He used to say the only good of it was that it allowed him to meet Babe Ruth, who was generous enough with his time to visit Children's Hospital when he was a patient.

He had a strong, overdeveloped upper body as a result of polio. On more than one occasion he swam across the Mississippi. No small feat. He eventually became a commercial artist. A generation of Busch beer cans showed off his lettering. Even though he did well financially, he took a single roll of HI Ho crackers every day for lunch and drove this beauty below - in yellow. We'd all do well to spend more time with what that generation experienced as we go about our activities of daily living.

We had that same Chevette, in all its glorious yellow, growing up. And a silver Citation parked next to it.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I just watched a mediocre documentary on Led Zeppelin, but god damn is the music good. I don't care what anyone says, Jimmy Page is still Bumy favorite on the guitar.
Oddly enough, I have a friend who teaches guitar who is not impressed with Page as a guitarist. But Zep's tunes were great. He and Plant together were unbelievable. English bands are just in a different class, imo

I did see Zep at Kezar stadium in San Fransisco when I was stationed in Monterey (I also went to the Monterey Jazz Festival, but in '73, so not many major acts, unless you're into jazz). My roommate had family in San Leandro and got tickets. Smoked my first funny cigarette there (I was 18 and fresh out of small-town Indiana). Stairway to Heaven was featured on the tour and it was great, but the one thing I remember was people dancing naked in front of the stage. Quite the scene.

My roomie and I would go up to San Fran frequently. Good times.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Today I'm giving my two week notice to retire.
No government trough for quite awhile.
Congratulations. I was bored stiff for a year after I retired at 58, and found another job to keep me busy. But when I quit that job, I was ready to retire and enjoy life. It helped we just had a grandchild.

Now, I don't know how I ever had time to work.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
im musically deficient, but what specifically are the reasons? Lack of range, skill, etc?

I'm not sure. I know when he was younger, he loved him. I think maybe now that he knows how to play better himself, he knows the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

Playing guitar is a gift. You've either got it or you don't, at least from my experience. I never could get it, but I could play other instruments, mainly Sax. My family used to play at square dances in the 30s and 40s - they could all play. I guess I just don't have the eye-hand coordination. I am impressed with anyone who does.

im musically deficient, but what specifically are the reasons? Lack of range, skill, etc?

Jimmy can at times be a little bit “sloppy”, but that’s all relative. Some take issue with Zep nicking so many songs & licks from old blues tunes. All that being said, there is no denying his spot in the pantheon of great guitarists.

Nope. Owners own five stores in the area.

True story. The Bton store has hit it's sales goal and set sales records every month since I've been there. I remind the store manager and the owner of that regularly.
Seems like a thing of the past for parts stores to make deliveries? Do they charge for it?

I'm not sure. I know when he was younger, he loved him. I think maybe now that he knows how to play better himself, he knows the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

Playing guitar is a gift. You've either got it or you don't, at least from my experience. I never could get it, but I could play other instruments, mainly Sax. My family used to play at square dances in the 30s and 40s - they could all play. I guess I just don't have the eye-hand coordination. I am impressed with anyone who does.
My ex wife thought it had to be our son played a guitar. The instructor we hired told my ex that he just didn’t have the gift to learn to play. My wife plowed forward. She had him play a guitar solo in a grade school talent show. It was so embarrassing that I thought other parents may contact child services for abuse. My ex still didn’t get it so I took care of stopping it myself.

My sister and mom reminded me and my son of the solo at Christmas dinner this year.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and jet812
Seems like a thing of the past for parts stores to make deliveries? Do they charge for it?
You have retail oriented stores and jobber stores that supply the service outlets. Jobbers all deliver. We have 4 or 5 drivers going throughout most of the day. There's no extra charge. I'm not privy to the P&L but their delivery expense line has to be scary.

Reactions: stollcpa
"If you want to do some of those bucket list things, like going to Monza for the F1 race, you should do it."

What I wouldn't give to travel to Europe next year after the summer break Spa-Zandvoort-Monza back to back to back. Three weeks. Yeah, Zandvoort sucks but Spa and Monza are true bucket listers.

Now if I could just get my boss to understand and my wife to agree our child needs to pay for her own college to build character I'd be set.

Time for my annual Thank You to @JamieDimonsBalls @twenty02 @mcmurtry66 et.al for my raise. Just saw the deposit pending in my checking account. Not a huge amount; it covers my rent increase, but a new med I'm taking will increase my expenses more than the bump in the dole. I'm having a hard time getting pissed off about it though. If I get a raise from my delivery job (they usually do them this time of year) I might end up breaking even.

Time for my annual Thank You to @JamieDimonsBalls @twenty02 @mcmurtry66 et.al for my raise. Just saw the deposit pending in my checking account. Not a huge amount; it covers my rent increase, but a new med I'm taking will increase my expenses more than the bump in the dole. I'm having a hard time getting pissed off about it though. If I get a raise from my delivery job (they usually do them this time of year) I might end up breaking even.
Yeah I got hit with another $330 a month for a med for my daughter

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
Might be retiring Jan 1st, 2030. Go out with the decade! I'll be 67 so I can either collect SS or put it off until I am 70. IRAs and 401ks are doing great.

No...no....no.....no....let me thank you. Your generations inability to do basic math and overall selfishness led to the greatest innovation of all time. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, for being the generation that inspired Bitcoin.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT