ADVERTISEMENT

Haidt: Smartphones vs Smart Kids

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011

I know Haidt and his recent work on the subject has been mentioned recently a few times on here. I came by this Ed talk he did last fall. Worth a watch/listen.

For those already afflicted with ADD... Here's a couple shorter interviews.

Bottom line...

No phones in schools
No smartphones before high school
No social media until age 16.

Only works if other parents in your sphere are also bought in. Basically every parent of my 9 year olds group of friends have committed.. Will see how well it holds up as they get older. Some of the parents have older kids and have regrets how they handled this issue with their olders.

I know Haidt and his recent work on the subject has been mentioned recently a few times on here. I came by this Ed talk he did last fall. Worth a watch/listen.

Bottom line...

No phones in schools

Only works if other parents in your sphere are also bought in. Basically every parent of my 9 year olds group of friends have committed.. Will see how well it holds up as they get older. Some of the parents have older kids and have regrets how they handled this issue with their olders.
My son was 16 and daughter 14 before they had phones. They were both the last in their class to get a phone. It’s very doable and I wouldn’t change the way we handled the issue

Bottom line...

No phones in schools

Sounds like you got a great group. Agreed on all counts. My daughter had a phone very young as did all of her friends. Very odd school/class where nearly everyone was divorced. Was a little self serving as we all wanted direct contact. Probably not a great environ for our kids but every school event included booze. Like something out of a Richard Ford novel with our crew of divorced dads

Reactions: larsIU
Sounds like you got a great group. Agreed on all counts. My daughter had a phone very young as did all of her friends. Very odd school/class where nearly everyone was divorced. Was a little self serving as we all wanted direct contact. Probably not a great environ for our kids but every school event included booze. Like something out of a Richard Ford novel with our crew of divorced dads

I found the data discussing play based childhood quite interesting. Prior to the 2010, boys under 10 were by far the most common demo to show up in ER with broken bones. Now boys under 10 have broken bones at lower rates than their parents and grandparents.

I found the data discussing play based childhood quite interesting. Prior to the 2010, boys under 10 were by far the most common demo to show up in ER with broken bones. Now boys under 10 have broken bones at lower rates than their parents and grandparents.
It’s awful. And not good for kids. I hope your crew can hold out. And honestly tech is awful for all of us. Our main factory is in Sialkot Pakistan. It’s 8:30 there, which means I’ll start getting messages from them shortly. Sunday night. 10:30. Miserable. Tech makes so much possible. I’m not sure that includes a better quality of life - for kids or adults. THESE F*UCKING PHONES!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: twenty02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT